Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Talked to my friend who has a couple varials, said whatever dents you get first few surfs is all it dents total. He has a couple that are years old and they look about similar to mine right now.

Reactions: ehiunno and Aruka

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Talked to my friend who has a couple varials, said whatever dents you get first few surfs is all it dents total. He has a couple that are years old and they look about similar to mine right now.
That is my experience.

My neckbeard 2 was dented a lot after two surfs. A few months later and it still looks the same. I don't care about dents as much as I care about durability. I'm 100% positive a team glass PU board would have buckled by now. My Varial stills surfs like new.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Stretch has said similar about his boards.

Once the foot wells form, the fiberglass works like a hammock and is all good so long as the resin is properly wicked by the blank to prevent delam from occurring.

since varial does all the fancyness with infusion, I think it applies here as well.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was considering a 6-6 round pin of some sort in Varial construction to replace my magic 6-6 Stamps that was stolen from my truck recently.

Anyone gotten one of these with the 6x4+6oz. glassing?

Probably a bad time to order a step up with spring just around the corner but whatever.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Damn that’s a bummer Aruka. Sorry to hear that. They grab anything else?

Reactions: Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Same experience as most, with a lot of initial golfball dents, but they didn't keep getting deeper. I'm pretty consistent where my feet land and it's pretty baffling how the deck is dented everywhere fairly uniformly. I've posted this shot before. I surf pretty much everyday as long as it's around waist high and above (and not onshore), so on average 3-4 days a week. The NB2 will be two years old the first week of July.Varial 3.jpg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah that's what my tail area looks like, by your pad - small, shallow dents. I actually like the way the dents feel and I'm cool with them if they stop there (which it looks like they do). Thanks for sharing guys. I was pretty shocked when I scraped the wax off.

I'm also really digging the way the white foam looks. Looks kinda like a 2 month old PU, flat white eggshell. I would be stocked if it stayed this muted white forever (I heard the foam doesn't yellow).

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Damn that’s a bummer Aruka. Sorry to hear that. They grab anything else?
Thanks man. Nah, the 6-6 was on the top of the pile in the back of my truck and that's all they took. It was a bummer to lose the board but what really sucks is now I feel like I can't roll around with my canopy off and boards in the back like I have been for the past 15 years.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Isn't it was possible to remove the Varial dents with a blow dryer. Someone posted that on here.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stretch has said similar about his boards.

Once the foot wells form, the fiberglass works like a hammock and is all good so long as the resin is properly wicked by the blank to prevent delam from occurring.

since varial does all the fancyness with infusion, I think it applies here as well.
My CFT medium Stretch boards all footwells only super tough even have a F4 I got off cl most likely early '00 still great shape besides little yellow. Only thing so far boards yellow even when placed in board bag after 3 years.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone got a coupon code?

im leaning towards varial w/ poly. i have a weird appeal for boards that don’t yellow.

Reactions: JDJ

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Yeah that's what my tail area looks like, by your pad - small, shallow dents. I actually like the way the dents feel and I'm cool with them if they stop there (which it looks like they do). Thanks for sharing guys. I was pretty shocked when I scraped the wax off.

I'm also really digging the way the white foam looks. Looks kinda like a 2 month old PU, flat white eggshell. I would be stocked if it stayed this muted white forever (I heard the foam doesn't yellow).
Flynn is riding several varial boards , Brett and Bra Bra shapes

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Had another session on the varial. Only an hour, waves were about shoulder high and soft. Board has some nice spring to it. I'm liking it. Need to ride it in some bigger and better waves though.

Will definitely choose varial on another board in the future.

Last edited: