Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Muscles, you might also want to look at XTR. Very durable and cheaper, also cheaper shipping than Varial to Hawaii.

I have 5 year old XTR's that feel like day 1. Also, warranty on delams and waterproof foam so you don't need to fix your dings.
If i am not mistaken Varial is also waterproof?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have had both XTR and Varial. XTR has more pop off the lip Varial is kind of more nimble, if that makes sense. V, It was very light. The model I had was not for me so I didn't get much time on it then let it go.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
No. It’s closed cell but the skin will absorb a bit. But, you don’t need to run out of the water immediately like regular EPS

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm on the Varial program in a pretty big way for the spring/summer/fall quiver.

I've said it before but I think Varial has one of the best weight/feel/durability mixes of any construction out there.

If you gravitate towards PU this should be the first construction on your alt construction list.

Yes, they dent. Don't be a lil bitch about it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ross Williams his main rider then Freddy P.
Fred qualified for the CT on his boards.

I've said it before but I think Varial has one of the best weight/feel/durability mixes of any construction out there.
The weight feels really good, first thing that stood out to me. Lighter than PU but not light like EPS.
Hopefully ride report soon. Excited to try it.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Still haven't surfed it yet, but been fondling it a couple times every day. The foam tone (is that a thing) is interesting. It's not bright white like PU/EPS, but more like a muted or matte white. Looks cool. Also less UV reflection in the water (something I'm paranoid about). Still no waves locally. Can't wait to ride it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I remember during Bruce's rockstar days, I heard he had a deal with Drop Out that he could go in to any store, buy a board and as long as he put a Drop Out sticker on it they'd reimburse him. Along with his endorsement money.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Surfed it today in chest high, clean waves. I haven't ridden a 6'0 thruster in awhile so that took some getting used to. The board did not feel like EPS, felt like PU, but light - when paddling around. On the wave the board had really nice flex. I think I like it. I need better waves and more time on a thruster, but I got up in to the lip a few times and it felt great. Off the bottom felt really springy. I need longer waves or just more waves to make a conclusion.

Initial thoughts:
- Board is good, not a dog (talking design, not foam)
- Foam flex feels good and springy, kinda exciting. Went from bottom turn right up into the lip lightening fast.
- The deck (tail area) is already golf balled. I surfed for an hour. Kinda fcked how dented it is. I took off the wax cause now I want to put a pad on and there's easily 20 small dents. Does it stop there or get worse?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Surfed it today in chest high, clean waves. I haven't ridden a 6'0 thruster in awhile so that took some getting used to. The board did not feel like EPS, felt like PU, but light - when paddling around. On the wave the board had really nice flex. I think I like it. I need better waves and more time on a thruster, but I got up in to the lip a few times and it felt great. Off the bottom felt really springy. I need longer waves or just more waves to make a conclusion.

Initial thoughts:
- Board is good, not a dog (talking design, not foam)
- Foam flex feels good and springy, kinda exciting. Went from bottom turn right up into the lip lightening fast.
- The deck (tail area) is already golf balled. I surfed for an hour. Kinda fcked how dented it is. I took off the wax cause now I want to put a pad on and there's easily 20 small dents. Does it stop there or get worse?
1 one hour surf :roflmao:don’t care what type of space foam they’re using, not getting a dime from me