Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Damn man. Sorry to hear that but yeah, a ding would have really been icing on the cake.
Thanks. I've lucked out and it's been small and onshore almost everyday where I live so I haven't missed much by being out of the water. I'm going to Kauai with the fam next week, so I wanted the bones to have a little more time to set and haven't paddled out since the 3rd when I broke it.

On a side note, I went by Stamps last week and brought my 5'8 Varial Flare for us to go over for reference to get my new 5'7 Varial Kai-Zen dialed in (it's based off the Flare). It was the first time he's seen a board glassed by Varial. He went over it thoroughly and said he was impressed by their work.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Sold my Varial ghost to a guy. Brand new, unwaxed board. Zero damage of any kind.

He took it out and on the second surf the leash plug ripped out. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Do you think Varial has any kind of warranty?

292045988_1053330408663471_3946981342140543004_n.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah i think someone else on here had the same exact thing happen but everyone blamed it on his overly long string. That was a varial, wasnt it?

Reactions: MathDebater

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sold my Varial ghost to a guy. Brand new, unwaxed board. Zero damage of any kind.

He took it out and on the second surf the leash plug ripped out. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Do you think Varial has any kind of warranty?

View attachment 133756
Wow, I've never seen that happen on a board, ever. Little alone a Varial.

Was this in serious waves or did it just rip out completely unexpectedly in waves it never should have happened in?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Wow, I've never seen that happen on a board, ever. Little alone a Varial.

Was this in serious waves or did it just rip out completely unexpectedly in waves it never should have happened in?
It came out in waves that were a foot or two overhead. Very unexpected. Given that this was the second time the board had been ridden it would seem there was some kind of flaw in the construction.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
So is the guy who bought it after a warranty claim from you?
No, thankfully he's being pretty cool about it. I sold him a brand new unwaxed board, that was perfect as far as I knew...

I'm talking to Varial now, hopefully they do something about it so I can give him some money back.

Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The stock Lost boards on the Varial website say they were shaped by Lost at their factory. Imagine the customs are shaped by Lost as well. The xtr customs are Lost shaped so I assume the Varial ones are too.

Because Varial cuts the blank, glasses and sands, that eliminates a lot of variables from the Lost custom ordering experience. Seems like a solid option.

Tim Stamps, who is very picky about his boards, told me that Varial’s craftsmanship and QC is amazingly good. Tim said he was also measuring everything coming out of the Varial factory and every board was on the money.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
another shaper measured one of my stamps when ordering a custom and he said tim's dimensions were spot on. I said why is that not normal? He told me no.

Reactions: Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm self admittedly accident prone but this morning takes the cake in my 40+ years of surfing. Probably my 4th time surfing Wedge and I was getting a few, nothing crazy, it was several feet overhead. I was packing a set wave closeout and while I was rebounding off the bottom in about three feet of water, my board came down to say hello. In under two seconds my fins opened an 6" hole in the front of my wetsuit jacket where my sternum is, a 2" hole on the left elbow of the jacket, and a 1/4" hole on my left ring finger just below my cuticle.

I've never been hit so hard and not have had at least moderate damage to my board. There are some stress shatters around my right fin which seems to have been the culprit for the injuries, but everything is watertight. I got a few Steri-strips on my elbow plus my chest and some Superglue to close the cut on my finger, but luckily, I won't have to get my board fixed.

My wife, daughter and I were heading down from Redondo to watch some of my friends' heats at the Brooks Street contest in Laguna. I wanted to get some "real" waves before parking it on the beach in Laguna to watch the comp. The waves were really fun all day at Brooks and now my sore body wishes I just caught a few at Oak/Thalia rather than my Wedge beating.

Keep an eye out for Scout Mitchell. She was surfing in the 16+ women's at Brooks. She f'in rips and was doing some backside turns that put the guys' to shame.