Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
No Material Data Safety Sheet? :shrug:

Ask them.
lol. I'll give that one a try. I'm betting I get a blank look. (no pun intended)

I'm just an over-sized lab rat.
Doesn't matter. It's an OSHA requirement. The manufacturer isn't obligated to give away any trade secrets but OSHA "requires that MSDSs be available to employees for potentially harmful substances handled in the workplace under the Hazard Communication regulation. The MSDS is also required to be made available to local fire departments and local and state emergency planning officials under Section 311 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act. The American Chemical Society defines Chemical Abstracts Service Registry Numbers (CAS numbers) which provide a unique number for each chemical and are also used internationally in MSDSs."

I checked and once again I'm out of the loop, they changed the name from MSDS to SDS (Safety Data Sheet) in 2012. Same thing, different name.

If they give you a "blank" look, they have problems.

PS - You want an ISO 9000 quality assurance program cheap? :hat:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Varial and Doc will be at the Boardroom this weekend. Perhaps hitting the manufacturer and a guy who shapes lots of them will be more informative?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
averagejoe said:
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
No Material Data Safety Sheet? :shrug:

Ask them.
lol. I'll give that one a try. I'm betting I get a blank look. (no pun intended)

I'm just an over-sized lab rat.
we got the msds from them and had the guy who formualted entropy resin review it. he couldnt tell us exactly whats going on with it
Then he wasn't the right guy.

The SDS is the basis for work place procedures that define potential hazards in the storage, handling, use, and disposal of stinky stuff and the safety precautions necessary (ventilation, protective clothing, type of respirator, etc.)

Anyone remember Grubby Clark?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I know a teeny bit about organic chemistry.

Send me the MSDS.

If I can't figure it out, there the full time chemist here or one of the CEs that owes me.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
The Varial guy just came by my shop. He made it clear that the heat and bend thing was something they are not going to repeat. That was an experiment I should have shut up about. My bad and apologies. The are going back to machining the blanks. They are just setting up and trying different things out, so it is natural that there will be a few learning curve experiences. I asked him about hot wiring the stuff and he said they tried, but it takes something like 30 minutes to hot wire a blank because they have to go so slow.

I'm going to cut my personal, so I'll hopefully have some kind of a ride report soon. Been way too busy lately to mess with my own stuff, but I got to make some time. Robert just came by a few minutes ago and told me he rode his this AM and he was pumped on the way it felt.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Mr Doof said:

Send me the MSDS.

If I can't figure it out, there the full time chemist here or one of the CEs that owes me.
It's not so much of having an understanding of organic chemistry as having an understanding of the regulations/codes/industry standards on how the items listed on the SDS are handled. You have to know about the manufacturing process to determine what safety requirements are applicable. We used to have to do it with books, a 15 y/o kid can do it now with the internet.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
GWS said:
The Varial guy just came by my shop. He made it clear that the heat and bend thing was something they are not going to repeat. That was an experiment I should have shut up about. My bad and apologies. The are going back to machining the blanks. They are just setting up and trying different things out, so it is natural that there will be a few learning curve experiences. I asked him about hot wiring the stuff and he said they tried, but it takes something like 30 minutes to hot wire a blank because they have to go so slow.

I'm going to cut my personal, so I'll hopefully have some kind of a ride report soon. Been way too busy lately to mess with my own stuff, but I got to make some time. Robert just came by a few minutes ago and told me he rode his this AM and he was pumped on the way it felt.
There you have it. A better life through chemistry.

Did you ask them why they don't just blow it into molds? Doesn't make any sense to me.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
Carl177 said:
I have about 20 sessions in on this one. It's 4+4/4 s glass and apex epoxy. Slight heel dents are starting to show. Came in at 6 lbs, 2 oz without fins (6'1" x 19.5" x 2.63"). Got a small ding the other day and it seemed like it didn't take on any water.

There was an bit of a chemical smell to the dust. The foam finishes out way better than eps, but it seemed to tear on any grit lower than 120.
that's great and all, but care to share how you like riding it?!? :computer:

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
ElOgro said:
GWS said:

Did you ask them why they don't just blow it into molds? Doesn't make any sense to me.
He indicated they were concerned about density inconsistencies with blowing the stuff in molds.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ElOgro said:
Mr Doof said:

Send me the MSDS.

It's not so much of having an understanding of organic chemistry as having an understanding of the regulations/codes/industry standards on how the items listed on the SDS are handled. You have to know about the manufacturing process to determine what safety requirements are applicable. We used to have to do it with books, a 15 y/o kid can do it now with the internet.
We probably have a few of those books in the library.

Of course we let the librarian go about a decade ago so we are forever looking up stuff on the internet. :computer:

Having the CAS #s from the MSDS greatly speeds up the searches.

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
The board goes pretty well, but I would let someone more talented than myself comment on feel compared to a fresh pu/pe. The shaped varial blank was slightly stiffer than a shaped 2# EPS blank with a powerline stringer of the same thickness. Both had the same resin and similar glassing and the eps/powerline combo felt a little more snappy (until it buckled, but I'd say most boards would have buckled on that wave).

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
GWS said:

He indicated they were concerned about density inconsistencies with blowing the stuff in molds.
Hey Sharky please me know when you are cutting these things for the general public again. I want a fancy new stringerless Gibbons to play around on.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Aruka said:
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
GWS said:

Hey Sharky please me know when you are cutting these things for the general public again. I want a fancy new stringerless Gibbons to play around on.
I will cut the machined blanks they were first turning out no problem. Any time. Group them the end of the day and go. The heat and bend ones which I was told I will never see again, those I won't cut. Other than that, bring it.

alaskasurfer

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 10, 2006
AK
Aruka said:
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
GWS said:

Now you're making me want one again Aruka! A Varial Black Punt may be just the ticket.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
alaskasurfer said:
Aruka said:
GWS said:
ElOgro said:
GWS said:

Now you're making me want one again Aruka! A Varial Black Punt may be just the ticket.
I'm not going to try to talk you out of it.

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
4 year BUMP!

Had to do a little nose job on the trusty 6'1 after finally buckling a crease to the nose that was there for 6 months plus. Varial foam still perfectly white under the yellowed epoxy. I would not hesitate to do another board with Varial foam, 4 years or so out of this one and it still has life left to it.
IMG_20191003_181357729.jpg