Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Aruka said:
Good stuff sharky.

GWS said:
averagejoe said:
Aruka said:
So no one has actually ridden one though?

Might have to take one for the team since I've been itching for a new sled lately.

Also I like the thought of forcing some smelly, toxic dust on GWS.
we're making one for one of our bro's
i will get a chance to ride it
should get the cut dropped off today

I've cut about 20 of them at this point. Maybe 30. I have one in the racks that is a demo for a personal. My son has one sitting there as well. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. There' a few other issues besides the smell/toxicity etc. Which, I did four of them with a dust mask on and I had to shut the shop and go home with a nasty, nasty headache. You need chem filters on a respirator. And long sleeves and/or a jumpsuit so it isn't on your skin. Everything opened up and fans on high. You take those steps and the headaches stopped.

There's been some issues with rockers. I have a hard time getting the same thing twice. Which means every blank has to be mapped. They were machining blocks of foam into blank configuration at first. The last ones I saw they had heated and bent the rocker in. There were some twist issues. Then as I cut them, as material was removed from the blank, you could watch the blank untwist as it cut. Not good. So hopefully they won't be doing that anymore. Twist and spring-back are the possible problems.

The payoff is super light surfboards. And they are amazingly strong. Guys are getting away with single four on stringer-less blanks. And you grab the board and thumb it, (please don't thumb surfboards unless you are a trained professional ;) ) and they are amazingly hard. You can put a stringer-less milled blank on the floor deck down and push on the center of it and it behaves like a blank with a stringer in it re the way it flexes. Super interesting stuff. But they have a few issues to work through before it goes big. They need to either figure out a way of hot wiring it, (I have no idea of whether that is possible) or blow the stuff in a mold. Machining blanks out of a block is too time intensive IMO. The heat/bend thing was a total failure IMO.

:shrug:
So is that a no on cutting me a new shorty?

I think the extra cost may be a little excessive but at the same time if you can get a magic board to last a bit longer it could totally be worth it.

I'm not overly concerned about weight so I wonder if I could get away with double 4oz. top and bottom without screwing with the flex too much...
The blanks that were machined were OK. But I would get a blank with nothing written on it. No length, no rocker designation, nothing. So then I got to measure it up to figure out what it is and try and match it up with other ones that I've cut. By the time I have measured the rocker and thickness and then tried to figure out if it matches up with anything I have mapped previously, I met as well have mapped the damn blank. From a production standpoint, this KILLS me. Sucks up tons of my time. I need a level of repeatability/dependability. That could be easily solved. Then someone gave me a giant cube of the stuff to cut. I'm guessing that's what they are cutting blanks out of. Mother of Allah, there is no freaking way. You can't just put that block on a machine and cut a surfboard out of it. That's like cutting toothpicks out of a redwood. Your loading the loading the crap out of the blade on the inside and outside of the cut. You need to cut it down once, then cut it down again, then cut it down a third time. That takes time. If that is what they were doing, no wonder the blanks cost so much. Considering the time probably involved they were probably losing money even at those prices. The heat and bend thing was a complete failure. I'll spare you the details, but I won't cut anymore of those. At any price. Whether a hot wire type EPS thing would work, I have no idea. Perhaps it would create nasty chemical fumes. Whatever. As long as I don't have to do it. I can suit up and cut the mothers once they are in a reasonable blank mode.

They must blow that foam in some kind of a rectangular mold. If they can blow it in that, they need to blow it in a mold just like poly. Bottom line, is I need dependability. The stringerless thing is not that much of a problem if the blank isn't twisted and has the same rocker on each side.

I'm not trying to be negative here. They have set up just down the street from me. I think the stuff shows promise, but there are some issues. They should probably hire me for a nice mid six figure salary to iron out the details.

• Love
Reactions: sh3 and JDJ

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
They must blow that foam in some kind of a rectangular mold. If they can blow it in that, they need to blow it in a mold just like poly.
No reason why the couldn't. Marco has been blowing EPS into blank molds for some time.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
I would just like to stress again that I think the stuff has a lot of potential. PVC and Powerline stringers have been bagged on as being too flexible. I think this stuff could possibly benefit. Just a little something to prevent spring-back and twisting. Part of my frustration involves the potential of a material that is, IMO, just not being utilized to it's potential because of a few problems.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
GWS said:
I would just like to stress again that I think the stuff has a lot of potential. PVC and Powerline stringers have been bagged on as being too flexible. I think this stuff could possibly benefit. Just a little something to prevent spring-back and twisting. Part of my frustration involves the potential of a material that is, IMO, just not being utilized to it's potential because of a few problems.
Didn't PU foam have the same issues prior to Clark building low-tolerance molds with precut rocker? Seems like it will sort itself out through the supply process in time.

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
Seems to me that a consistent, known rocker would help. You know no spring back and the like. Wait a minute we already have that, It's called a stringer. That or a lot of different molds. But that is expensive I'm sure.

A blank with nice natural rocker that can be easily modified is still the most versatile.
Floppy blanks have their problems during glassing as well with rocker changing from weight or the resin.

Stringers are a tough standard to break from.

Like GWS says, cool foam just not being used to its full potential.

kookycooky

Nep status
Sep 5, 2014
ciscojaws said:
barnod said:
i haven't tried one but from what i gather no one really prefers it to the bread n butter PU. if it felt great you'd think there would be more chatter as it has been around for almost ~6 months?
Unfortunately surfers are by and large retarded. Why so many Firewires? Marketing. Why so many Surftechs? Marketing. If the big manufacturers started pushing this stuff it would be the second coming - I mean CI and Lost, maybe Rusty too. Just because Biolos is featured in this article doesn't mean he's pushing it.

How many people are riding Coils?
Just bought Firewire off CL for 200 bucks.
An alternator, god knows how many sessions are on this board, Firewire stopped making em long ago.

Still looks brand new besides the yellowing issue of Firewire.

Friend has a XTR Lost that is atleast 4 years old, still looks brand new.

I'm not buying another PU board ever again.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
bsnyder said:
Northern_Shores said:
"The advantage of going stringerless is that it eliminates the inconsistent flex properties of wood - due to the knots and grain density in wood that vary slightly from stringer to stringer. The end result is flex consistency from blank to blank."

Off all the retarded crap in surfboard marketing that is probably the stupidest I`ve read. Atleast for a long time. Improbable claims are thrown around as facts.
Wow. Such insight from a guy who has built a handful of boards.
If they say that the properties of a board would be significantly different based on the minor variations in the wood along the stringer they better be able to back that up. Especially since they seem to be of the opinion that it will hold surfers back to such a degree it is worth a bunch of money to be relieved of this problem.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If I was going to try and integrate a horizontal panel into a non-eps blank I'd use a router table to take off 3/8" or 1/2" (relative to my finished thickness/foil) off the bottom of a stringerless PU blank. Take a flat panel of PU for the bottom and glue that to the bottom side of the blank with a panel of wood veneer for the springer or whatever you want to call it. Only extend the glue line to within 1/2" or so of the desired template so the shaper doesn't have to dick around with glue lines. The "loose" edges will get fused when the board gets glassed.

No new blank molds, no separate inventory to maintain. Aside from skinning the bottom of the blanks it wouldn't be any more complicated to clamp two halves of a blank together for gluing if doing it horizontal vs vertical. You're just using a different rocker table. Aside from being careful with the alignment on the machine it wouldn't cut any differently than any other PU blank except the machine wouldn't touch any wood.

I'd use wood because it dampens and cycles in flex and reflex better and longer than carbon fiber or other fibers. The hipster appearance isn't an issue because nobody is going to see it anyway.

One advantage to having a horizontal panel that most people may not think of is that when routing a fin system through that panel it will provide a secondary point of stabilization for the box or plug - in addition to the contact area at the outer lamination. You're inhibiting the amount of movement in the foam around that plug or box as well as providing way more lateral support for it's base.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
GWS said:
if shapers don't want to work with it because of the protective gear required to shape it, it won't get traction
so then someone will ask - but what about what the customer wants?
to which i reply - if you want to cover the additional costs associated with building a board using this material, i will be happy to build one for you

if anyone is going to make this work it will be a hobby guy or premium guy who's into making one-offs and charging a shitton for them. the steps necessary to make this work in a production environment are going to make most shy away from them.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
J_D_J said:
The finished boards have felt pretty good under the arm -- I've only seen boards from Doc with Varial foam. Although the toxic smell, dust, etc., if accurate, is no bueno. PU is bad enough.
PU foam is a dream to shape compared to EPS. No smell, finishes out nicely. EPS gives off a styrene smell and is not easy to finish, hence the spackling/sealing.

Do you mean PE resin?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
ghostshaper said:
PU foam is a dream to shape compared to EPS. No smell, finishes out nicely. EPS gives off a styrene smell and is not easy to finish, hence the spackling/sealing.

Do you mean PE resin?
Hey Ghostshaper: I was just referring to the toxicity of PU foam, which contains compounds like TDI.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
J_D_J said:
ghostshaper said:

Do you mean PE resin?
Hey Ghostshaper: I was just referring to the toxicity of PU foam, which contains compounds like TDI.
yeah, toluene is not good in the manufacturing process. with a volatile solvent like that, is it still around after the foam is cured? (PU doesn't outgas)

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
The Varial foam is it's own animal. It's not EPS. I think the stuff has a lot of potential, but they have some basic problems to work out. I'm pulling for these guys, but I'm concerned that solving their problems may leave the stuff even more expensive. Then there's the fumes and such. I feel OK if I cover up, wear a respirator with chem filters, open up all the doors, crank the fan out the back, cut them last thing and get the hell out of the shop when I'm done. I don't know if I am being too cautious or not cautious enough. I'm not smart enough/curious enough to figure out exactly what the hell the stuff is. I suppose if this takes off I'll have to do the figuring so I know what I'm dealing with. Time will tell. It produces some insanely light and seemingly very strong boards though. I may have to make a twin fin out of my 6'4"...

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
ElOgro said:
No Material Data Safety Sheet? :shrug:

Ask them.
lol. I'll give that one a try. I'm betting I get a blank look. (no pun intended)

I'm just an over-sized lab rat.