Varial denting

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My 6+4/4 has dented about the same as my stamps 4+4/4 hpsb’s.

i did manage to find a weird one probably from my forearm/elbow doing the underwater turbulence rodeo with the chonky beast.

@oeste858 is your plasmic infused glass?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 6+4/4 has dented about the same as my stamps 4+4/4 hpsb’s.

i did manage to find a weird one probably from my forearm/elbow doing the underwater turbulence rodeo with the chonky beast.

@oeste858 is your plasmic infused glass?
nope. i'd like to try that #spacemanchit on next order tho. Seems like you like it

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah, will def bang again.

It’s got a very clean finish, stronger and doesn’t seem to spider as easily when smacking the tail on a doorway while dodging the swinging screen door.

if Venerial is just a $50-$100 up charge over pu/pe I think it’s worth it over adding $25-$50 carbon hits on the tail.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah, will def bang again.

It’s got a very clean finish, stronger and doesn’t seem to spider as easily when smacking the tail on a doorway while dodging the swinging screen door.

if Venerial is just a $50-$100 up charge over pu/pe I think it’s worth it over adding $25-$50 carbon hits on the tail.
Parker from Varial recommended against carbon tail hits on mine and said it negatively affects the flex. I would cave-in the toe edge really quickly on my PU boards no matter what tail pad I used and was one of the main reasons I started looking at alternative constructions. My NB2 will be two years old very shortly and the tail has held up great. The NB2 is 4+4/4 poly and my incoming Album Twinsman will be same poly schedule.

I thought this was interesting:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
"Chatter- A lot of people worry that their board will chatter if they get it glassed with epoxy. That’s not the case. The rigidity of the Varial Foam core will cut through chop much better than any other type of surfboard foam. Don’t worry about chatter when designing your board. Either resin system on Varial Foam will handle chop better than anything else you’ve ridden. "

Is that true?

Racer seemed to think otherwise.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I've mentioned several times around here about taking out random dents in Varial blank constructed boards and took a before and after photo after hitting it with a heat gun today.

I apparently ( I don't remember what happened) got tangled up with my board Monday evening pulling into a backside closeout barrel and got a legitimate concussion in the process. The dent where the board it me in the back of the head was smaller than I had thought in my post concussion fog, but still lame looking. I hadn’t surfed again until this evening, because I was still getting a weird sensation when making sudden movements with my head up until last night and I didn't want risk making anything worse. I have no idea if the board was the only thing that hit me or if I got the Malachi Crunch between the bottom and the board?

While trying to remove a dent on my daughter's used Varial Surf Rx I got a temporary bubble, so I'm more careful now to keep the heat gun about 5" away and keep it moving. I've only done it in non-weight-bearing areas. I've included a picture of the deck and you can see it's pretty dimpled. Most of my boards get really deep wells on either side of the stringer and they're usually concentrated in two spaces, where the ball of my foot and heel typically are. The Varial is pretty weird in that it's randomly dimpled all over. The NB2 had CI's "Black Flag" double concave deck which was fairly subtle, but you can barely see it now with all the dimpling.
View attachment 103918View attachment 103919View attachment 103920
Damn got that coil tech on there!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
"Chatter- A lot of people worry that their board will chatter if they get it glassed with epoxy. That’s not the case. The rigidity of the Varial Foam core will cut through chop much better than any other type of surfboard foam. Don’t worry about chatter when designing your board. Either resin system on Varial Foam will handle chop better than anything else you’ve ridden. "

Is that true?

Racer seemed to think otherwise.
I think my first board was too thin and rails too bladed. My second varial has much thicker rails and thicker foil and I don't feel what I did with the first one. That being said, Varial isn't better than anything else you've ridden. PU still wins in chop.

Reactions: MathDebater