Vans booties

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Looking to grab a pair of Vans booties. Any good? Who carries them in OC/S.OC? Size down full size?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: LifeOnMars

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Looking to grab a pair of Vans booties. Any good? Who carries them in OC/S.OC? Size down full size?
I like them. Nice snug sock like fit. I'm an 11 shoe and have 11 booties. You'll prob get a season out of them. Not super durable but fine. The first 3 or 4 surfs beware of taking them off. They are very hard to get off until they stretch out a bit. They feel great in the water and I do think they have a better board feel than other booties I've used.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have talked to a lot of people that have them and they like em. One buddy ripped a pair and vans was good about replacing them. I just got a new pair of xcel drylocks and I only chose them cause I've had them in the past and the vans I tried on seemed very fragile... like I was kind of concerned I'd rip a brand new pair just trying them on. Could have been wrong of course but that's why I decided against them.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
I’m willing to give them a try. I have poor circulation in my feet. They get cold easily and stays sort of numb even after my surfs…even with the dry locks or the top of the line O’Neill’s (both 3mm).

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
keep in mind I didn't test them in the water but I would bet money that the same thickness drylocks are warmer than the equivalent thickness vans.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
I am seriously considering 5mm for SoCal
I get cold easily as well. I have a pair of 3mm and %mm Vans. The 5mm are considerably warmer and still feel great (not thick feeling).
I use the 5mm on cold winter morning sessions in Ventura.
And to think I use to surf during blizzards in 18 degrees weather in NY.... California has made me soft.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I have the 3mm and really like them. good board feel and not hard to move my feet around. they're not as warm as others i've worn. interestingly, my kid has a pair of 5mm that i've tried and i like them better. the board feel is better, they're warmer and fit is just right.
Jack's usually has them.

Reactions: Lowqi2

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thread tangent:
How long do your booties last? I usually get 1–2 seasons before there’s tears/ holes in the upper. Currently have solid Patagooch ones that still look great after first year. My older backup pair of Visslas are pretty thrashed.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
when I used to take my kids to shores there was a woman like that. dressed for combat. It was awesome.
I was surfing alone by myself away from everyone and here comes this du... with a helmet, white sunscreen all over his face, sunglasses, gloves, shoes, and he was paddling for every set wave! Before he paddled out I saw him put on socks before he put on his shoes and was careful not to touch the sand or the water barefoot.

I don't even know if what he's doing could be considered "surfing". :crazy2:

Mar 1, 2010
brutal trying to get them on and off in the shop.. they are really nice when you get em on though. haven't worn em yet but will be bringing my old drylocks with me in the truck just in case i tear em putting em on

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
I was surfing alone by myself away from everyone and here comes this du... with a helmet, white sunscreen all over his face, sunglasses, gloves, shoes, and he was paddling for every set wave! Before he paddled out I saw him put on socks before he put on his shoes and was careful not to touch the sand or the water barefoot.

I don't even know if what he's doing could be considered "surfing". :crazy2:
Did they happen to have a killer braid?

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest