Van sleeping in HB-any recommendations

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Gonna hang with some out of town friends in HB and wondered if anyone has info on good streets to sleep on in HB. We're low key and just want a quiet place to go unnoticed.

Thanks,
Belch

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Just cruise until you find a quite spot. As far as neighborhoods, park next to a high fence, vacant lot, high hedge or a 24 hr gym/Walmart/etc. personally I'm not a fan of the final option, though it's the most legal.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
There's no such thing as an out-of-the-way spot. What you want to do instead is hide in plain sight.

Wait until after 10:00 and cruise into a neighborhood with a lot of apartment buildings. Park on the street along with the cars of the other residents. Nobody knows all their neighbors anymore.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If you want "quiet" then you don't want to be within walking distance of the beach or the bars. Go to Westminster or Fountain Valley.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Hotel parking lot. By definition, transient population. Less likely to be bothered. If anybody says anything, you are just getting ready to check in,

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Belchfire1 said:
Solid advice. Thanks manbearpig
No worries.

I'll second in apartment building neighborhoods (make sure it's not a projects type spot), in front of libraries is a personal favorite (free wifi) and in front of parks.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Park on the loop over by Seacliff Self Storage off of Talbert and Kovacs.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/california/business-huntington-beach/seacliff-self-storage-11430052

It's off the beaten path and you can walk down to Matsu Japanese restaurant/bar for a night cap.

You're welcome. :cheers:

PES78

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego
All the above is solid advice, but don't overthink it. Be good and your good. No one really cares anymore unless you're being disrespectful.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
keenfish said:

https://www.mapquest.com/us/california/business-huntington-beach/seacliff-self-storage-11430052

It's off the beaten path and you can walk down to Matsu Japanese restaurant/bar for a night cap.

Yeah, Matsu is seriously good. I might try to park by the water like 8th st - 13th ish or around there. There is a 7-11 for supplies on 7th and PCH and you can use the bathrooms at the pier. Like everyone said though. If your good your good.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Thanks for all the replies guys. We've only stealth camped a few times and once you find a spot it's always been cool, but HB seemed intimidating. I feel better with the advice you all have shared. Thanks, Belch

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Only late night kickouts for me have been hotel parking lots (minus a beach park camping ticket years ago) . The high wall/hedge is good advice, and I'll add to park out of the way of any possibility of another vehicle hitting you, which rules out most residential for me. I'm gonna be under a tree in a dirt construction lot tonight and out before sunrise. Parked next to a backhoe and a pile of asphalt. Sleeping pad and bag are already rolled out :cookin:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
keenfish said:

matsus - great call - grew up in hb used to
get smashed in there w fake id in high school
and would run info friends parents eating there. hb was fun

Rickoray

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2007
SOC CA
Park anywhere... the party WILL find you!
[img:center]http://img13.deviantart.net/dcb4/i/2004/307/9/6/pussy_wagon_by_apolly0n.jpg[/img]

:cheers:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
keenfish said:

Matsu :facelick:

Also i have another street that would work for you, PM me if you want but its further from the ocean and closer to the freeway

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
First of all, I can't believe I'm giving someone advice on how to be a transient in HB. I could write a book on the art of being homeless in this town. I'm either jogging or surfing every day, so I have good insight into the daily roster.

First & foremost, if you don't have a state/city beach pass, then spend the $15 to park for the day. Lots open at 6am and close at 10pm. It's an incredible deal to have a legal place for your vehicle all day long. The long-term motor homeless spring for the annual pass.

Second, if you have a place to be for 16 hours, then all you need to worry about is 10pm - 6am. Technically, commercial/retail lots are off limits, but both property managers & cops are very lenient as long as you don't show until the stores are closed (10pm) and are long gone by 6am.

There are a handful of long-term motor homeless who have been following these informal rules for years. It's an incredibly cheap way to live, while enjoying living at the beach and having bathroom/shower amenities. The park rangers & cops know who they are and they are never hassled.

The ones who can get hassled are those that can't afford an annual pass. That means they park their vehicles on the public roads during the day. Right now, Beach between Atlanta and PCH seems to be attracting a bunch of traffic.

The other ones park overnight at parks, and/or dead end roads that serve as entrances to open-space (Bolsa Chica, Santa Ana river, et al). If you want to be surrounded by cop cars, then that's what you should do. The neighbors call the instant they see a vehicle they don't recognize.

Motorhome incursion wigs cops out. If it's not moving, then technically it's a home, which means they have to follow standard procedures covering rules of engagement. That is, they cannot order you out of the vehicle like when you are driving. You could legally have a gun to defend your "home" (when parked), so they get very wary.

If you follow the basic common sense directions above, you should be ok. Just to re-iterate: SPEND the $15 to park your car for the day. That immediately puts in you 'good guy' territory. The vehicles that are parked all day along the road in transient locations get noticed.