Universal Basic Income

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I think the societal freedom of not having to be trapped to an employer because of financial/insurance dependencies would radically change our country for the better and take us back to the more entrepreneurial small business workforce we had before the industrial revolution which just created a new form of worker slavery. It's being done today disguised as this so called "gig economy" which is more like an excuse for corporations to avoid employer obligations.

But we'll see
No one likes change
Absolutely 100% agree!

Reactions: enframed

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I think the societal freedom of not having to be trapped to an employer because of financial/insurance dependencies would radically change our country for the better and take us back to the more entrepreneurial small business workforce we had before the industrial revolution which just created a new form of worker slavery. It's being done today disguised as this so called "gig economy" which is more like an excuse for corporations to avoid employer obligations.
Spot on.

Reactions: enframed

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My sister's high school kid got laid off from work and needed money.

I said I'd pay him 20 bucks an hour to pull weeds in the back.

Both he and my sister looked me like, "You want to make the little Prince do yard work?"

I hate yard work too but I guess he didn't need the money.

My sister was like, I will give him the money before I let him go work for you.
Here he’d get $20 dollars a day if he was real good.

Is that the general consensus with today’s youth?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Here he’d get $20 dollars a day if he was real good.

Is that the general consensus with today’s youth?
It matters how much the parents made.

My parents were poor so I dug ditches, did demo work on the construction site and worked in the sprinkler factory.

At the same time, friends of friends who had rich parents didn't do that (circa 70s and 80s).

But my generation who had kids did better than our parents so their kids today are a little more precious.

But I'm sure poor kids still do sh!t work.

But I think each generation gets a little softer.

My parents generation thought I was a pussy because I wanted to have fun instead of work.

But I worked because I needed money.

The kids just get the money from parents now.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Not me, your peers, in your same company. Why shouldn't they know?
I know what you are getting at, but the desire for privacy is why people don't share this

Also, since wages can't always be adjusted right away, what if you're the best person in the department and you find out some dipshit who is the worst makes more than you? It's a morale killer

Cutnsnip is right, the culture only helps businesses and hurts workers, but some people still value their privacy on top of that.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It matters how much the parents made.

My parents were poor so I dug ditches, did demo work on the construction site and worked in the sprinkler factory.

At the same time, friends of friends who had rich parents didn't do that (circa 70s and 80s).

But my generation who had kids did better than our parents so their kids today are a little more precious.

But I'm sure poor kids still do sh!t work.

But I think each generation gets a little softer.

My parents generation thought I was a pussy because I wanted to have fun instead of work.

But I worked because I needed money.

The kids just get the money from parents now.
I don't give my kids much...if they want money, they do housework

really, they do housework anyway

the mantra is that 1) you gotta do this work for yourself anyway to keep up your home
when you're older and 2) the earlier you do this kind of work for money, they earlier you
can STOP having to do this kind of work for money, but EVERYONE has to (should) at
some point in their life...you don't want to be 20 or 30 doing this type of dumb sh!t

Reactions: mundus

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I know what you are getting at, but the desire for privacy is why people don't share this

Also, since wages can't always be adjusted right away, what if you're the best person in the department and you find out some dipshit who is the worst makes more than you? It's a morale killer

Cutnsnip is right, the culture only helps businesses and hurts workers, but some people still value their privacy on top of that.
Then you should leave. Immediately. Or is it better to keep getting paid less than the worst guy there?

That's why you want to know. It's why you should openly share.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't give my kids much...if they want money, they do housework

really, they do housework anyway

the mantra is that 1) you gotta do this work for yourself anyway to keep up your home
when you're older and 2) the earlier you do this kind of work for money, they earlier you
can STOP having to do this kind of work for money, but EVERYONE has to (should) at
some point in their life...you don't want to be 20 or 30 doing this type of dumb sh!t
I wish I would have put up less of a fight doing house work with my parents growing up.

It would have improved their quality of life.

That kind of work still triggers me.

I need to be drunk to do it.

I need to go do the dishes right now.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
1615458838310.png

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
One of my best friends was originally from Paterson. He and his brother are buried at sea in front of the house. He left the day he graduated from high school. This is a guy that traveled extensively in central and South America, Asia, and Europe. He told me that Paterson, NJ was the worst shithole he’d ever seen.