Universal Basic Income

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I think this article title does a disservice to the content

it's really a story about welfare and aid programs
One city doing it can’t affect the inflationary forces that will result if the entire country does it.

On a micro level, you give everyone in the US $1k a month then the rent I charge on my rental unit just went up....

....by $1k a month...

...$2k if it’s a couple.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
One city doing it can’t affect the inflationary forces that will result if the entire country does it.

On a micro level, you give everyone in the US $1k a month then the rent I charge on my rental unit just went up....

....by $1k a month...

...$2k if it’s a couple.
I agree. that's why I think framing this as a UBI conversation is borderline dishonest

I do, however, like the idea for focused social programs intended to help people out of poverty

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
that’s not how that works.

But ok.
That's exactly how housing works. IRL tenants compete with each other based on how much they can spend for their housing and they determine that rate as the residual of whatever is left over after all their other expenses are met. Enabling more people to spend $200 more a month on their housing leads to those rents increasing by the $200.

That's exactly been the effect of the increases in minimum wage in Calif, and it's why the rental rate ranges on the lower end have compressed to the point where the rents in So Central LA (for example) are so close to the rates in the more desireable areas like Downey and Norwalk or in the northern areas of the San Fernando Valley.

Only the haves who own those units units come out ahead. Well, them and the govt which is collecting tax revenues at the higher rates. The poor are still just as cash strapped as they were. It takes them just as many minutes of work to buy a Happy Meal now as it did 5 years ago.

It's also a contributing factor to the increase in the homeless population. People who aren't getting the commensurate raises are getting shut out - they're the ones who are paying for these increases due to the disparate impact on their respective economic leverage.

You will NEVER be able to make the rich pay. These increases will always be passed on directly to the consumers.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I daresay there isn't any income bracket that pays taxes that doesn't complain about taxation.

I think my point remains - when costs increase it is generally the consumers who end up paying more, not the shareholders or the owners.

Reactions: Pig Benis

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I daresay there isn't any income bracket that pays taxes that doesn't complain about taxation.
Well then I guess we found a way to make people (the rich inclusive) pay, that doesn't get passed down to the consumer.

HOOORAAAAYYYY!!!

Edit: I don't complain about my taxation. Be nice if it was only spent on sh!t I want, and if there was less spending in general.

Reactions: kidfury

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Duffy threw out an arbitrary number that again arbitrarily doubled based on a couples situation. That’s about as dishonest and vague as one can get.

on top of that it’s a heavily regulated market where one can get in a lot of trouble for arbitrarily raising rents or doing so out of malice.