Universal Basic Income

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
THIS is part of the reason we ended up with serious double digit % inflation in the 70's.

Once you double the minimum wage nationally in near one fell swoop (even over a couple/few years), all the people making just under $15 a hour now (say $10-14 an hr) are going to want raises WELL ABOVE $15 an hour to not be considered equal with entry level, low skilled positions.

It spirals upward from there for most everything. Services and products increase in much, much larger percentages than we've seen the last 40 years. Most younger than 45 don't remember/know the inflation craziness of the 70's.

It's like some ancient fairy tale now, that never really happened.
more bullshit from the king of it...

the federal minimum wage increase is not and has not ever been considered a material
contributor to the inflation of the 70's...

massive federal debt from Vietnam, poor central bank policy, Nixon tossing Bretton Woods
gold window out...all of these things rocked the dollar

The minimum wage went to $1.00 an hour effective February 1967 for newly covered nonfarm workers, $1.15 in February 1968, $1.30 in February 1969, $1.45 in February 1970, and $1.60 in February 1971. Increases for newly subject farm workers stopped at $1.30. The 1966 amendments extended the fulltime student certification program to covered agricultural employers and to institutions of higher learning.

In 1974, Congress included under the FLSA all no supervisory employees of Federal, State, and local governments and many domestic workers. (Subsequently, in 1976, in National League of Cities v. Usery, the Supreme Court held that the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the FLSA could not constitutionally apply to State and local government employees engaged in traditional government functions.) The minimum wage increased to $2.00 an hour in 1974, $2.10 in 1975, and $2.30 in 1976 for all except farm workers, whose minimum initially rose to $1.60. Parity with nonfarm workers was reached at $2.30 with the 1977 amendments.

The 1977 amendments, by eliminating the separate lower minimum for large agricultural employers (although retaining the overtime exemption), set a new uniform wage schedule for all covered workers. The minimum went to $2.65 an hour in January 1978, $2.90 in January 1979, $3.10 in January 1980, and $3.35 in January 1981.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
PS: we had interest from people who thought the price was too high and tried to negotiate it down and we simply explained to them that we had multiple people already willing to pay what we were asking.

Supply and demand.

Btw, the lady that’s in there now is a repeat snow bird so she gets a greatly reduced price because we like her.
You old softie... See, it isn't just supply and demand.

Edit for below:

No need to hide your feelings, you like her and give her preferential treatment and rationalize it, which is totally fine and your right to charge what you want.

Now that she has extra $ from govt handouts like everyone else, you should raise her rent because that is the rule about supply (lots of cash in everyone's hands ) and demand from New Yorkers willing to pay more. Wouldn't it be great to make more $$$?

And what if she can't make it one year, you rent out to someone else for her rate?

Last edited:
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
more bullshit from the king of it...

the federal minimum wage increase is not and has not ever been considered a material
contributor to the inflation of the 70's...

massive federal debt from Vietnam, poor central bank policy, Nixon tossing Bretton Woods
gold window out...all of these things rocked the dollar

The minimum wage went to $1.00 an hour effective February 1967 for newly covered nonfarm workers, $1.15 in February 1968, $1.30 in February 1969, $1.45 in February 1970, and $1.60 in February 1971. Increases for newly subject farm workers stopped at $1.30. The 1966 amendments extended the fulltime student certification program to covered agricultural employers and to institutions of higher learning.

In 1974, Congress included under the FLSA all no supervisory employees of Federal, State, and local governments and many domestic workers. (Subsequently, in 1976, in National League of Cities v. Usery, the Supreme Court held that the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the FLSA could not constitutionally apply to State and local government employees engaged in traditional government functions.) The minimum wage increased to $2.00 an hour in 1974, $2.10 in 1975, and $2.30 in 1976 for all except farm workers, whose minimum initially rose to $1.60. Parity with nonfarm workers was reached at $2.30 with the 1977 amendments.

The 1977 amendments, by eliminating the separate lower minimum for large agricultural employers (although retaining the overtime exemption), set a new uniform wage schedule for all covered workers. The minimum went to $2.65 an hour in January 1978, $2.90 in January 1979, $3.10 in January 1980, and $3.35 in January 1981.

Minimum wage basically DOUBLED in the 70's from 1970 to 1980.

It took almost 30 years to double again (1980-2008 or so), due much lower inflation pressures.

Minimum wage growth in the 70's was just trying to keep up with inflation rates not seen in years prior, or since.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think that is an accurate sentiment.

It's that kids are too precious now.

That creates its own problems.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't think is an accurate sentiment.

It's that kids are too precious now.

That creates its own problems.
The challenge with todays generations is the scale of competition and the cost of entry, such as tuition or the cost of living relative to income. Or even getting into a decent school. i would've never got into the schools I got into if I were applying now :drowning:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I think he lived in a different world. You could by a 4bdr house a block from 204 on a construction laborers pay. Pay it off in three years. Cheaper in Oceanside. Loads of work too, although working from home back then was done with a triple beam balance.
I worked construction out of high school for a few years until about 1980. Did my share of grunt work, digging ditches, climbing under houses to re-enforce foundations for 2nd story add-ons. Roofing. Then on to be a hod and worked up to brick and block mason. Making $9 an hour felt like I was living large. Then laid off and needed something different, cause I didn't want to bust my back by the time I was 25-30.

Ya, you could buy more home in 70's back then. Hell my parents bought their little, way old house on coast hwy So Redondo in 1969 for just under $20k. Dad sold it in 1980 for $100k and thought he hit the jackpot. 400% increase in 10 years! Some of that was newfound So Cal beach town cool pricing, but much of it was huge inflation too. Now it's worth over $1.5 mill, easy. It's basically 2 small homes. We rented one out at first, then dad joined them for a while. Now back to 2 small homes but one is totally refurbed.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The challenge with todays generations is the scale of competition and the cost of entry, such as tuition or the cost of living relative to income. Or even getting into a decent school. i would've never got into the schools I got into if I were applying now :drowning:
They also have the comfort trap too.

(This is a certain segment of the population.)

You don't need a decent school.

I don't get that.

That is bad programing.

Live with your parents. Go to the CC, go to the state college.

If you get good grades you can get someone to pay for grad school.

It's pretty simple.

I paid for my school. My parents let me live at home and pay really cheap rent.

I see a lot of young people live above their means.

My point?

I'm great and everyone else is stupid. :trout:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
They also have the comfort trap too.

(This is a certain segment of the population.)

You don't need a decent school.

I don't get that.

That is bad programing.

Live with your parents. Go to the CC, go to the state college.

If you get good grades you can get someone to pay for grad school.

It's pretty simple.

I paid for my school. My parents let me live at home and pay really cheap rent.

I see a lot of young people live above their means.

My point?

I'm great and everyone else is stupid. :trout:
Agreed, I'm mostly pointing out that the costs of certain things that are considered important are much higher.

There are substitutes for education and job training, but the cost and availability of housing is way higher and more scarce. Not complaining, it just is what it is.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Minimum wage basically DOUBLED in the 70's from 1970 to 1980.

It took almost 30 years to double again (1980-2008 or so), due much lower inflation pressures.

Minimum wage growth in the 70's was just trying to keep up with inflation rates not seen in years prior, or since.
you said minimum wage increase was part of the reason for inflation in the 70's

I guess technically it was "a part"....it just wasn't a remotely material part

I don't know why you keep repeating the fact that it doubled; no one disputes that part

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
My point was inflation was huge in the 70's, and minimum wage was just one piece of the puzzle.

That same rate of inflation we had in the 70's in housing for instance, would be like buying a home for $200k in 2010 and selling it in 2020 for $1.0 million. Not just due to demand, but double digit inflation factors we haven't seen since then.

The 1970's stock market sucked most of those 10 years. Basically flat for that full 10 year span. Then the Reagan years came, and it's been go-go ever since.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
When everybody zigs, zag.

Reactions: grapedrink

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
We can print all of the money we want as long as we sequester some sufficient portion of it from circulation and use that sequestered portion to control interest rates, right? Like the Fed says, "...the importance of the money supply as a guide for the conduct of monetary policy in the United States has diminished over time."

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Agreed, I'm mostly pointing out that the costs of certain things that are considered important are much higher.

There are substitutes for education and job training, but the cost and availability of housing is way higher and more scarce. Not complaining, it just is what it is.
I notice that people make the wrong choices.

I was poor and acting accordingly.

Reactions: grapedrink

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
It's absolutely how it can work. What makes you think landlords won't do that?

They run the risk of losing their tenants, but there are always new ones waiting to fill the spot. Maybe the rent won't increase by $2k, but it can increase
Rents are set by market forces, not by the whim of a landlord.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My point was inflation was huge in the 70's, and minimum wage was just one piece of the puzzle.

That same rate of inflation we had in the 70's in housing for instance, would be like buying a home for $200k in 2010 and selling it in 2020 for $1.0 million. Not just due to demand, but double digit inflation factors we haven't seen since then.

The 1970's stock market sucked most of those 10 years. Basically flat for that full 10 year span. Then the Reagan years came, and it's been go-go ever since.
the minimum wage increases were largely reactive responses to wages that
were not scaling with cost of living increases