Unfortunately, CA Exodus is a myth :(

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
LOL the data is presented above. I don't think "your eyes" is the way to gage "the trouble the state is in".

When are you leaving this horrible communist place?
Yes the data that concludes the exact opposite of the headline and what you believe.

It is indisputable that California survives on welfare from the federal government, and that every year more and more of its citizens survive on welfare from the state. Younger more productive workers are leaving. 60+ year olds are leaving. It lost a congressional seat (it should have lost two). The state will not allow you to buy computers that use too much power because the state doesn't have enough and can't keep what it does have on when the wind blows.

You're just a horrible blind unlikable communist.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There was not so much of a loss of population but a drastic stagnation in growth; which is evidenced by the loss of a congressional seat. There has definitely been an interstate migration away from some areas (SF Bay area for example) but not a loss. There has been a number of high profile and high net worth individuals and companies leaving but it's is not the mass exodus claimed by the "media" and elsewhere.
The jobs that are leaving are much different that the jobs the replace them.

Reactions: npsp

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Ifallalot and his ilk best not be appropriating proud Central Floridian culture.

There is only one God's Waiting Room. Accept no substitute.
I spent a week in SW Florida end of June through the 4th of July. Now I know why so much of Floridas housing is in gated communities. The bubbles are great but once you go outside of them....oh boy...these are fucking hillbillies. I have never seen so many American flag tank tops in one place until we decided to drive up to Ft Myers beach.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Moving out of town is moving out of town whether they stay in the state or not.

For many people (not everyone) it's all about the employment. Not about the restaurant and bar scene. I think a lot of people are waiting to see whether the WFH thing is sustainable going forward or not. There was a piece today about rents in the cities going back up as people come back into town to work. Other pieces a couple months back about some employers willing to continue WFH or work from a satellite office in exchange for a 10% cut in pay. Some people might take that deal, especially if they're working parents.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Moving out of town is moving out of town whether they stay in the state or not.

For many people (not everyone) it's all about the employment. Not about the restaurant and bar scene. I think a lot of people are waiting to see whether the WFH thing is sustainable going forward or not. There was a piece today about rents in the cities going back up as people come back into town to work. Other pieces a couple months back about some employers willing to continue WFH or work from a satellite office in exchange for a 10% cut in pay. Some people might take that deal, especially if they're working parents.
it's such bullshit to take a pay cut when WFH means massive fkn savings for employers

smart employers see that WFH means that their employees are actually engaged with
work matters more hours out of the day than when they were in the office

Reactions: CutnSnip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
CA's native sons leave and CA imports immigrants to make up for it. THere are pockets of high IQ and competence, but the state ranks low on NAEP scores - and quite far below FL and other states regarded as dumb:

This is why we have fires, crumbling infrastructure, and retarded COVID response: we are dumb. Due to the Dunning-Krueger effect, we can't see our stupidity. We believe we're smart.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
it's such bullshit to take a pay cut when WFH means massive fkn savings for employers

smart employers see that WFH means that their employees are actually engaged with
work matters more hours out of the day than when they were in the office
It's not about what the companies are saving; it's about what they can get. If they can get the same productivity for less they're always going to do that. And if Company A won't do it but Company B will then the advantage in the marketplace goes to Company B and that advantage is coming at Company A's expense.

It's just like offshoring workers, only in this version they're American workers working from Shasta County or Utah or Texas. Or in the case of a Google VP, from their new home in New Zealand.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is it though? A major part of the reason why google, apple, facebook etc pay such high salaries is because the cost of living mandated it. Otherwise nobody would work for them. Same goes for six figure finance workers in NYC who live in 400 sf apartments. You also have a competitive and poaching aspect that pays well to retain talent, but nobody would be there in the first place if it wasn't worth their while.

IMO it's perfectly fair to cut a salary by 10% if someone is leaving the SF bay area. If you are worth it, they won't.

smart employers see that WFH means that their employees are actually engaged with work matters more hours out of the day than when they were in the office
I think this varies from person to person. Lots of people will get more done because there is no commute, random coworkers dropping by to distract you, etc. Realistically, IMO most are likely engaged for a longer stretch of the day but have more periods of not working at all, when at an office job they'd be goofing off online or playing tetris.

Just look at any brewery, coffee shop, dog park, surf break etc during odd daytime hours and Friday afternoons nowadays. That used to be the sanctuary of misfits and night workers.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It is indisputable that California survives on welfare from the federal government,
That and income taxes from high earners. Even NPR acknowledges that. Doesn't sound so sustainable when you are relying on the top 10% of earners to foot the bill for everything :unsure:

Reactions: npsp

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
All I know is I have Kentuckians that moved in upstairs. 2 adults, 3 children all under 4. Holy fuck it is actually louder than the behemoths up there before. They do seem nice though so I am not truly hating but damn the noise.

Yes, I need to find a house at a time when the quality-inventory is low, preferably in a school district where there is a higher percentage of passing test scores than shankings per student. Fuckin hell. :crazy2:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
its not a myth to renters in othe rstates

Lauren Campos opened the door to her Phoenix apartment last week to find a note stuck in the door frame. Her rent was going up nearly $400 a month, the note said, a 33 percent increase.

Lauren Campos, left, and Sam Mattingly, both 28, pose for a portrait near their apartment in Phoenix on July 2, 2021.
© Dominic Valente for The Washington Post Lauren Campos, left, and Sam Mattingly, both 28, pose for a portrait near their apartment in Phoenix on July 2, 2021.
Campos and her fiancee read the letter in shock. The property management company gave them four days to decide whether to commit to stay or leave by the end of July. They spent the rest of the day poring over apartment listings online, only to realize they would either have to move or downsize from their two-bedroom place to a one-bedroom.”