Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I've surfed overhead Shagwong once, in 30+ years of surfing the east end. It was some hurricane swell in like 94 or 95. the storm parked just south of Montauk, the south side was massive and totally impossible to even paddle out, let alone surf.

Anyway, found a guy with a truck who said he was going to check "the north side" so I of course, being 15 years old and fearless, jumped in this strangers truck, and we went over to Gin beach, drove a few miles east, and surfed clean overhead barrels all day long. He even gave me a ride home at the end of the day

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Anyway, found a guy with a truck who said he was going to check "the north side" so I of course, being 15 years old and fearless, jumped in this strangers truck, and we went over to Gin beach, drove a few miles east, and surfed clean overhead barrels all day long. He even gave me a ride home at the end of the day
heh, something you would never want your kid to do nowadays... but somehow, these things always worked out then (and they probably would now, if we let them)

Reactions: potato-nator

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I've surfed overhead Shagwong once, in 30+ years of surfing the east end. It was some hurricane swell in like 94 or 95. the storm parked just south of Montauk, the south side was massive and totally impossible to even paddle out, let alone surf.

Great story! I've seen solid waves in the area, just once but didn't get to surf them

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I had parents that paid attention and supported me etc and mostly held me accountable, but I was a free range kid from day 1. My mom said her work was done when she kept me alive to my 18th birthday :roflmao: :bricks: and surfing was a big part of her overall concern for said survival to my 18th name day

Jun 23, 2003
North East

I used to lifeguard Gin Beach and Indian Wells. Surfed Shagwong vicinity a bunch, every time it broke in 94/95. I think 95 was the storm you remember just sitting in the swell window. I was living on ELD and talked the airport to let me walk to the end of the runway to access at first then figured out beach access which was a trick from Gin beach. Surfed alone and with friends as nobody really looked there, guy with the truck was part of my crew. The wave was very unlike any other on the East end because of the deep water just outside of the break.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Holy chit 27 years later, and you and I quite possibly were surfing the same obscure and fickle spot with just a handful of other guys, on the north side no less.

the guy I hiched along with was from Hampton bays or west Hampton or someplace like that, but was a point regular for sure. Everyone knew him. Big ass Ford F 250 fully rigged for surfing and fishing. Hell he even fired up the Coleman between sessions and grilled us some hot dogs. He even gave me one of only two cold beers he had for the drive home. Really one of my most memorable days of that era.
my mom was fukking LIVID. all she knew was I left home early in the morning with a giant hurricane swell in the water, and she didn’t know where I was or if I was even alive, until I come rolling up the driveway that evening in this huge ass pick up truck and a huge grin on my face. She didn’t talk to me for days

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2003
North East
Holy chit 27 years later, and you and I quite possibly were surfing the same obscure and fickle spot with just a handful of other guys, on the north side no less.

the guy I hiched along with was from Hampton bays or west Hampton or someplace like that, but was a point regular for sure. Everyone knew him. Big ass Ford F 250 fully rigged for surfing and fishing. Hell he even fired up the Coleman between sessions and grilled us some hot dogs. He even gave me one of only two cold beers he had for the drive home. Really one of my most memorable days of that era.
my mom was fukking LIVID. all she knew was I left home early in the morning with a giant hurricane swell in the water, and she didn’t know where I was or if I was even alive, until I come rolling up the driveway that evening in this huge ass pick up truck and a huge grin on my face. She didn’t talk to me for days
Fickle is an understatement and yes, that was my guy. Dreadlock "Rasta Pete". We all worked together for awhile, solid surfer and would Winter at OBX. World can be a small place!

I clued all my friends into it after surfing it alone for days on end. Bet you and I shared a lineup here or there...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m sure we have
yeah fickle isn’t even the word. Like, it only breaks when there is a massive hurricane just off to the east or south east. That’s hardly a regular occurrence lol

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Meanwhile
DF71B8D3-C7EF-440A-BD5B-002B6B889EFC.jpeg
The surf forecast is flat for the next week and then 4m@10 seconds. The choices are limited.

Overall a very weak October this year surf wise, usually a prime time month for everywhere around here.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I used to lifeguard Gin Beach and Indian Wells. Surfed Shagwong vicinity a bunch, every time it broke in 94/95. I think 95 was the storm you remember just sitting in the swell window. I was living on ELD and talked the airport to let me walk to the end of the runway to access at first then figured out beach access which was a trick from Gin beach. Surfed alone and with friends as nobody really looked there, guy with the truck was part of my crew. The wave was very unlike any other on the East end because of the deep water just outside of the break.
we probably know each other. I grew up at Indian Wells, and still have my membership to the ABA

Reactions: Makoman

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
E5EF9E2F-8DA5-4D23-92B3-988ACAA872CA.jpeg

We’re at the black line. Maybe interesting?

There was a storm in the early 90’s with a similar forecast trajectory. Destroyed the cop shop in Manzanillo.

Hey MANdingo, you out there???

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The guy I was with sweet talked the lady working at the county park entrance to let us on. It worked lol. Dude charmed the sh!t out of that plump and cheerful park employee.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Damn that's like fourth or fifth for the Colima/Michoacan zone?
Yes, they’ve gone around the corner far enough out to sea from us so lots of rain from the tail but bearable.

This storm seems to be heating up fast, looks like a good beach rearranger.
A16A2E5D-1E47-4CAF-9160-E81765FE93F4.jpeg
We’re at the Saturday evening line.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
8B0DC4B4-B42C-4BB9-9F81-D17FAF084EE4.jpeg
Forecast for early Monday morning looking interesting. My wife says we’re prepared. The kill zone is between Lázaro and Caleta de Campos.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks, based on the latest forecast we may well be needing it.
6D2A4C8A-2826-4D30-8ACA-262054D48C99.jpeg
Huuge change in less than 6 hours. :drowning:

• Sad
Reactions: mundus

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
E4AD95A1-922A-42A6-BAD2-691F405B535F.jpeg
891F4B71-4B50-4B8E-B90F-E5B6C7950C77.png
Ratfucked. We’ll almost certainly be cut off as the road in is already a shitburger and the repairs we’ve done to both accesses to our property by vehicle are gonna be toasted.

The kids have the sailboat as secure as possible and are cagando palo as Zihuatanejo bay is gonna get the full treatment.

Wake and bake!

• Wow
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit