Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Wind seems like it is trying to straighten out, hopeless closeouts on my stretch anyway. At least I surfed solo.(y)

Reactions: potato-nator

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Depended on which break I guess
I’d say 3-4 fair to good was within range of reason
Watched East end LB/lido for a good half hour. The sunrise better than the surf, didn’t see a decent ride go down. Didn’t even think twice about suiting up :monkey:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Good fun early, then too NNW for here IMO. A North warble, decimated sandbar added up to glad I got what I did when I did. Sam is gonna be hard to live up to already slight expectations.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah Surfline is very un hyped about Sam now. Waves for sure, but not a 100 mph monster lingering 200 miles offshore for a week

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I don't think it'll be as big as Larry but indeed, waves for sure. Did you look at the discussion on NHC? It won't hang off the EC for a long time when it gets even with the SE coast, but it's powerful and there should be a nice long run of swell from the waves its already kicked out on its current slow slog. Winds could be dicey.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I don't think it'll be as big as Larry but indeed, waves for sure. Did you look at the discussion on NHC? It won't hang off the EC for a long time when it gets even with the SE coast, but it's powerful and there should be a nice long run of swell from the waves its already kicked out on its current slow slog. Winds could be dicey.
Current models for my area are worthy of the Larry level hype. Time will tell. Been hoping something would line up worthy of driving to the Outer Banks but it looks like the winds down there won't be favorable.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm still surprised by surfline's calls. I thought Emerald Isle would be overhead. They're saying like waist to shoulder high on 4ft @ 16 seconds.

That should be head high+, no? Was thinking about a road trip, maybe get some offshores, maybe some NE crosses up the walls?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I'm still surprised by surfline's calls. I thought Emerald Isle would be overhead. They're saying like waist to shoulder high on 4ft @ 16 seconds.

That should be head high+, no? Was thinking about a road trip, maybe get some offshores, maybe some NE crosses up the walls?
Emerald Isle's my local and 4ft at 16seconds will provide some head high surf but our bars are cursed for anything over 12 seconds. Usually just long closed out lines.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Emerald Isle's my local and 4ft at 16seconds will provide some head high surf but our bars are cursed for anything over 12 seconds. Usually just long closed out lines.
4 feet at 16 would be overhead at certain reefs and points up here

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
On a swell like that, low tide inlet sandbars and sandspits are your friends.
The gray suited cruisers and jellyfish that frequent those bars are not.
It looks like Pirf and those other spots are going to be sideblown raggedy to hell and back. I love me some Monster Hole but it does NOT tolerate side/sideoff blowouts. Most of those inlet sandbars look like horribly exposed shoals out the back, not dredged out banks facing due SW with the swell running into the inlet and wrapping.