Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
another .....subtropical.....storm.....rockin OBX?

contest coming up in JVille...storm might be early?
We look to have waves for most of the week. You don't really want a cranking swell at Jax Pier (I'm assuming this is where the contest is) - it's not that kind of spot. You'd generally want a chest high windswell with a late morning high tide - that would normally mean plenty of scoring potential waves for all competitors, happening in a relatively small area right on the south side.

Reactions: potato-nator

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021

The flooding here has been crazy over the last few days. King tides always flood Flagler and parts of PBI but this year with this swell it has been nuts.

I drove up and down the Island today in the morning looking for a wave and settled on left just down south of Delray for some incoming midtide fun.

Went back out on hunt a couple hours after the Hightide and South Palm Beach Island had turned into a swamp. It can be baffling to see how some people react behind the wheel when they come across a little adversity.

The funniest part was watching some cyclists in full gear on their very expensive bikes navigate two feet of water covering the entire road with Mr Magoo in his Benz trying to figure who has the right away

Never did get back out, out going tide and the 15+mph North wind going with the current made for some sloppy and dumpy conditions.

Whatever though, 4 days in a row of decent to good surf here in South Florida it feels like a win

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
lighter wind then predicted, nice little swell. Must have been good LI and SJ

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Never did get back out, out going tide and the 15+mph North wind going with the current made for some sloppy and dumpy conditions.

Whatever though, 4 days in a row of decent to good surf here in South Florida it feels like a win
I had sooooo much fun one day in PBC after it got onshore. The tide was good for the inside sandbar and there were these chunks pushing down the beach. When it's often just angled unmakeable walls, it was shorter sections opening up and I could throw everything I had at every section. Great sling off the takeoff, outstanding draw off the bottom, time and space to open up on the section. About chest high, water like 15-20 degrees warmer than here, on/off rain and not a soul out. <3

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
I had sooooo much fun one day in PBC after it got onshore. The tide was good for the inside sandbar and there were these chunks pushing down the beach. When it's often just angled unmakeable walls, it was shorter sections opening up and I could throw everything I had at every section. Great sling off the takeoff, outstanding draw off the bottom, time and space to open up on the section. About chest high, water like 15-20 degrees warmer than here, on/off rain and not a soul out. <3
Sounds awesome, I am hoping for this exact set-up early tomorrow out in front of Billionaire's row before work.

Down in size, might be a little wind on it, but the tide will be right and this spot does ok in the wind

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I mean, the biggest set I saw or rode was head high, but, still, fun little east coast classic fall session. Sunny but a nip to the air and water now. Next swell will likely be in a 4/3

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yup. Glad I had the boots on. Surfed relatively well for the first session of the boot season. Usually takes me a couple of sessions to fully adjust. Feet were hitting the right spots depending on the requirements of the drop, front side or pig dog etc, no toe dragging or getting stuck in the wax in poor positioning

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Rodanthe pier had a major chunk taken out of it...I knew something looked different :foreheadslap: -- Last 2 days have been epic fall conditions minus the drift yesterday.

Reactions: potato-nator