Ultimate Surfer?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Everywhere I’ve lived as an adult, @casa_mugrienta , people over 30 who has a long term “boyfriend“ or “girlfriend”, calls their partner, partner. (England, Australia).

In fact, anyone over that age with a “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” sounds childish to my ears.

Guess it’s a regional thing?
UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Everywhere I’ve lived as an adult, @casa_mugrienta , people over 30 who has a long term “boyfriend“ or “girlfriend”, calls their partner, partner. (England, Australia).

In fact, anyone over that age with a “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” sounds childish to my ears.

It is. That’s why in the USA it’s usually used by people trying to signal wokeness or Anglocreeps. Same cringe effect as Americans saying mate.

Reactions: waxfoot

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
fook off you racist piece of sh!t. I don’t care what color the cast members of a stupid show are.

YOU DO.

You’re a racist.
My thoughts exactly! The only thing anyone mentioned was surfing ability and looks in a wetsuit. Nobody mentioned skin color.
Shut the fck up and go somewhere else.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

When I lived in LA, my bro Shady Wade would always talk about his Mexican wife.
She wasn’t Mexican, they just got married on the beach somewhere in Mexico but never followed up stateside.

The last thing the world needs is more professional surfers.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is labeling anything that does not seem normal as a "woke trend" helpful to you? :shrug:
I didn't know it was - the rare times I heard it in the USA I just thought it I wasn't sure if they were referring to their business partner, they were saying they were gay, or it was Anglocreep. So when this topic arose here I googled "using the word partner significant other"

Here's what the top links were:

But some members of the LGBT community are skeptical. “It’s a joke we all know,” said Sean Drohan, a teacher based in New York City who identifies as gay. “If I was making a movie for a gay audience, and a straight couple introduced themselves as partners, that would definitely get a laugh.” For most of his life, Drohan told me, he assumed he’d never be able to get married, and struggled with which words to attach to his romantic relationships, present and future. His father, he remembers, used the word “lover,” which felt awkward and strangely disparaging. Gay people, he said, “have had the experience of treading weirdly over different words,” ultimately finding “partner.” “That was our word,” he said , “and it kind of sucks for other people to want in on that.”

He is especially dubious of people who use the term as what he calls a “performance of wokeness,” an attempt to publicly showcase their progressive worldview.

“If they want to say ‘partner,’ people of relative privilege should take a moment to reflect on their word choice,” Coco Romack wrote for Broadly last fall. “It never hurts to check yourself by asking, ‘Why am I choosing to identify this way?’”

etc. Lots of stuff about privilege, using gender neutral terms to make queer people feel comfortable, etc.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I didn't know it was - the rare times I heard it in the USA I just thought it I wasn't sure if they were referring to their business partner, they were saying they were gay, or it was Anglocreep. So when this topic arose here I googled "using the word partner significant other"

Here's what the top links were:

But some members of the LGBT community are skeptical. “It’s a joke we all know,” said Sean Drohan, a teacher based in New York City who identifies as gay. “If I was making a movie for a gay audience, and a straight couple introduced themselves as partners, that would definitely get a laugh.” For most of his life, Drohan told me, he assumed he’d never be able to get married, and struggled with which words to attach to his romantic relationships, present and future. His father, he remembers, used the word “lover,” which felt awkward and strangely disparaging. Gay people, he said, “have had the experience of treading weirdly over different words,” ultimately finding “partner.” “That was our word,” he said , “and it kind of sucks for other people to want in on that.”

He is especially dubious of people who use the term as what he calls a “performance of wokeness,” an attempt to publicly showcase their progressive worldview.

“If they want to say ‘partner,’ people of relative privilege should take a moment to reflect on their word choice,” Coco Romack wrote for Broadly last fall. “It never hurts to check yourself by asking, ‘Why am I choosing to identify this way?’”

etc. Lots of stuff about privilege, using gender neutral terms to make queer people feel comfortable, etc.
Casa's muse:

(I should have guessed that a TV show thread wouldn't get 10 pages without help)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Here's my favorite take on it (written by a Quokka)

"THIS is going too far. Just when you thought the Woz was getting an act, stringing a few comps together, lucking into some swells, feeding us enough platitudes about the final five Trestles format as to half-believe it themselves – along comes this vacuous, lowest common-denominator bottom-feeding reality TV lunge for the most eyeballs in the shallowest end of the humanity pool.

And 'Ultimate Surfer' is supposed to deliver … WHAT EXACTLY … to the Woz and to the sport itself?

“Wanna know what it really delivers? It delivers a swift, well-aimed kick in the nuts to something precious. It takes the experience of a lifelong pursuit – of something that gives our lives joy and meaning – and reduces it to half an hour of forgettable bullshit, on par with, what, Love Island, I’m A D-Grade Celebrity, Please Shoot Me In The Head? The Fucking Bachelor?

“What’s the goal here exactly? How are more temporary eyeballs going to make anyone’s days better?

“It’s the true colours of fuckwittery at the highest level showing themselves."

Aug 24, 2021
My favorite is Bethany Hamilton. She is beautiful and outstanding at surfing. I have always loved think kind of sport but never had enough brave to start practicing it. Last year I went to Bali, and I saw many people surfing there, so I think it is my chance to start learning how to do it. I have visited swellsurfcamp.com to have some lessons. In some weeks, I have developed the necessary skills for becoming a beginner. I plan to visit Hawaii next summer, so I can improve my surfing skills in the place where it was born.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars