Ultimate Surfer?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I didn't realize Jax got some representation in this show :jamon: so I have someone to root for

Also can't believe that Kayla Durden "girl" is almost 30
They all seem like retreads, if they had the skills they would have been on tour already.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I wish I was a fly on the wall when the execs thought this was a good idea, it is exact opposite of what those few people who care about surfing would like to see.
The idea is a straight rip off of The Ultimate Fighter where fighters live together and compete for a UFC contract.

Another lame show....

Reactions: Boneroni and mundus

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Time to feel oooooooooooold.
Didn’t she win a 1 star QS series in Puerto Rico a few years back or was it just a local deal? Banked a few grand... she definitely knows her way around a lineup but I just don’t think she has it like a Caroline Marks otherwise she’d already be there. I enjoy sharing waves with her :)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
This is some grade-A bullsh!t that absolutely no one here should be surprised about in the least.

Pretty sure the first paragraph says all we need to know:

"The two-night premiere of ABC's new summer series "The Ultimate Surfer" will air on Monday, August 23, and Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 10pm ET and PT, following all-new episodes of "Bachelor in Paradise."

WTF?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
For an organization that promotes diversity, this is a major fail.

Pretty much all white, a couple of hispanics and part-Polynesians. Casting appropriate to 1984, not 2021.

There are literally HUNDREDS of talented non-white, non-American surfers who could have been considered for this programme -

It jumped out at me too. Lots of not very talented people that are past their prime or never had a prime to speak of. I believe it was filmed mid COVID, so it would have made it difficult to get any international talent in there.

The reality is this show completely misses the mark on what people want from a reality, or even competition, show. There are plenty of blueprints to follow that would be more interesting than this, and with that many cast members with little talent, they coud've done a deep dive on personality, drama, and "villains". If I want to see a bunch of "Good Game" hi fives and "I just want to do my best"s I can watch the CT.

Think:
Top Chef. The competitors have to endure multiple challenges in different locales that speak to the strengths of different cast members. The JAX dork taking off at Mavs (Todos would suffice), Ms. Ashley towing Nazare, Cast members have to make a video part and submit it to Albee, Taylor Steele, and Kelly, etc. Ride a log at a pointbreak.

Any of the dramatic housewife shows: You need people who can move a story line and add conflict. Provide protagonists and antagonists. Will anyone flip the taco tuesday catering table?

Pull unlikely characters: Where is Zoltan when you need him? The next Johnny Boy/Sunny? Someone who comes off a bit unhinged.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Didn’t she win a 1 star QS series in Puerto Rico a few years back or was it just a local deal? Banked a few grand... she definitely knows her way around a lineup but I just don’t think she has it like a Caroline Marks otherwise she’d already be there. I enjoy sharing waves with her :)
No idea on the contest; I used to see her at the Pier or Poles when I surfed there more than a few times each year.

But yeah, she's not on Marks' level.