Uber - DONE

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Tried to grab an uber to LAX yesterday at 5am. 45 minute wait and 76 dollars for a 3 mile ride.

This trip in the past cost 13 dollars and there would be hordes of drivers ready to pick you up in minutes even at 5am for what is a 15 minute drive.

Called LA Taxi cab - 30 dollars and they were at my place in 10 minutes.

Never thought id see Taxi's be the better option again, especially in LA. Uber was fun while it lasted.

You guys noticing the same in your areas?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I tried for 2 hours to get a Lyft the other day here in Colorado Springs and never got a ride.

• Wow
Reactions: CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
we will probably see a big uptick in drunk driving again too.. what a bummer.

on the flip i waited for 2 hours to get a cab from the Laguardia taxi line to Times Square. 20 minute ride - 55 bucks. Of course credit card reader wasnt working - no cash - driver took venmo. Uber was $103 for the same trip but they would have been there in 20 minutes.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Yes.

The business model always seemed fvcked in the first place.

Completely not worth it for the driver.

Now that gas prices are through the roof even less worth it.

Drivers are chilling on unemployment, others have moved to food delivery.

Less drivers = prices up.
not to mention they fought to become w-2'd employees which also drove the price up id imagine.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
A whole bunch of former Uber/Lyft drivers chimed in on a community facebook group here saying they've all switched to food delivery since it's better paying. Most people will tip for food. Plus they don't have to deal with having people in their car. Most customers want the food just left at the door so there really is no interaction other than the restaurant pick up. Several said they were also doing some kind of delivery for amazon.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
The only reasons Uber worked was drivers didn't fully realize their own costs and loopholes allowed the company to have lower costs than competitors. Some of those loopholes are closing at the same time as drivers are now realizing what wear and tear and depreciation are. The business model is done. I'm proud to say I've never ridden in an Uber/Lyft.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
lmk when you walk from from mid city LA to LAX with all you're luggage and whatnot at 5am.
I actually attempted Santa Monica Pier to LAX on foot one time. But my luggage is just a small backpack and I had pretty much all day to do it, so totally different ballgame than what you're describing. I think I would have made it but I stopped at a little patio bar just off the boardwalk down at the south end of Venice and met a really cool couple from Australia and 4 (or was it 5?) pints later I realized that I had sort of lost track of time and had to uber the last part to make my flight. Good times.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
I actually attempted Santa Monica to LAX on foot one time. But my luggage is just a small backpack and I had pretty much all day to do it, so totally different ballgame than what you're describing. I think I would have made it but I stopped at a little patio bar just off the boardwalk and met a really cool couple from Australia and 4 (or was it 5?) pints later I realized that I had sort of lost track of time and had to uber the last part to make my flight. Good times.
Im not adverse to walking at all.i actually quite enjoy it and easily walk 3 + miles a day, every day - but yea to the airport - no thank you!

Reactions: crustBrother

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I used Uber once and only once after hiking the Trans-Catalina Trail. Since we finished at the Isthmus, had to take Catalina Express back to San Pedro and then grab transportation to Long Beach to get the car. Pretty simple, right?

Well, the first two Uber drivers both got lost trying to find the San Pedro terminal and gave up. 30 minutes later, finally get a ride. Yes, there's a little detour with the construction around 710 but the guy still got lost and from back seat, had to tell him how to read the map on his phone as he couldn't even figure out how to get into downtown Long Beach. Was tired and just wanted to get to the car; shouldn't be having to get the driver un-lost. That's 100% of their job description: get where you are going quickly and efficiently without sticking their head up their ass to the collarbones.

Never again. Those people need to be licensed and as part of said license, they need to show (without app help) that they know the area in which they are working. Maybe not memorize every single cul-de-sac but at least have a clue how to get places in the area you are operating without struggle. Cab and airport shuttle drivers have seemingly always done this quite well over the decades.

Less convenience and competence with more expense seems to be the mantra for these times.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I used Uber once and only once after hiking the Trans-Catalina Trail. Since we finished at the Isthmus, had to take Catalina Express back to San Pedro and then grab transportation to Long Beach to get the car. Pretty simple, right?

Well, the first two Uber drivers both got lost trying to find the San Pedro terminal and gave up. 30 minutes later, finally get a ride. Yes, there's a little detour with the construction around 710 but the guy still got lost and from back seat, had to tell him how to read the map on his phone as he couldn't even figure out how to get into downtown Long Beach. Was tired and just wanted to get to the car; shouldn't be having to get the driver un-lost. That's 100% of their job description: get where you are going quickly and efficiently without sticking their head up their ass to the collarbones.

Never again. Those people need to be licensed and as part of said license, they need to show (without app help) that they know the area in which they are working. Maybe not memorize every single cul-de-sac but at least have a clue how to get places in the area you are operating without struggle. Cab and airport shuttle drivers have seemingly always done this quite well over the decades.
That really interesting. Until COVID I used uber/lyft at least 100 times in at least 10 different cities across the US and literally never had a single bad experience. Always felt sorry for the drivers because I could never make the numbers add up to any kind of profit for them, but as a consumer it was light years ahead of the quality of service I got from taxis.
Less convenience and competence with more expense seems to be the mantra for these times.
Fact right there, bro. Fact.

Last edited:

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I work in SF. At the peak of their popularity, there were no less than 30k uber and lyft drivers in town on a given day. People were sleeping in their cars after driving in from Sacramento to do shifts. Being someone who drives around a good part of the day for work, I saw the increased traffic, the drivers who would stop in the middle of the street to pick up or drop off, etc. I knew then what was obvious-these outfits were making a fortune off folks who needed quick cash now.

The drivers weren't thinking about what this was doing to their cars, or how much their tax liability was going to be. They just knew that they'd get $500 in their pocket now for driving for a few days.

I couldn't believe it when people let them off the hook in the election by continuing to allow uber to 1099 drivers, when per the law they are clearly employees. When you have hundreds of millions of dollars, you get to make your own law. The drivers themselves cut their own throats. OTOH, if they'd lost the election, they'd be gone already. Unsustainable business model, unless you have self driving cars. I thought if they could hang on until then, they'd dominate. But toady, that seems unlikely. I think they are going down in flames. I've been in an uber twice when my kids put me in one cause I was drinking. I've never had their app, and don't plan to download it. What the government allowed these guys to do to cabbies who paid up to a mil for medallions was criminal.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Long term goal of all Uber-esque companies is self-driving cars and their own fleet
2 Taxi companies have ability to do what Uber does. Check it out here.
3 All the extra cars on the road just waiting for a call is a nightmare
4 No reason some app developer couldn't make a shareware version of this so anyone could be their own CEO/driver with their own vehicle....a legion of individuals beholden only to themselves.
5 Retired guy down the street has a deal with a few little old ladies in the neighborhood as "chauffer on a schedule". Takes them shopping/errands/etc

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I actually attempted Santa Monica Pier to LAX on foot one time. But my luggage is just a small backpack and I had pretty much all day to do it, so totally different ballgame than what you're describing. I think I would have made it but I stopped at a little patio bar just off the boardwalk down at the south end of Venice and met a really cool couple from Australia and 4 (or was it 5?) pints later I realized that I had sort of lost track of time and had to uber the last part to make my flight. Good times.
When my brother lived in McArthur Park we did a little urban mission - parked my van at the Santa Monica Pier at 5am, drove to where Wilshire begins in downtown, and skateboarded Wilshire to the beach. 9 miles or so, we cruised it, got food, beers, etc so it took a long time. It was exhausting but pretty exhilarating. You pass through a lot of different zones on that route.