Uber - DONE

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That really interesting. Until COVID I used uber/lyft at least 100 times in at least 10 different cities across the US and literally never had a single bad experience. Always felt sorry for the drivers because I could never make the numbers add up to any kind of profit for them, but as a consumer it was light years ahead of the quality of service I got from taxis.

Fact right there, bro. Fact.
I’ve only had one ”bad” experience with Uber out of hundreds of rides all over the US. It was here in SB. It was a dude who was from out of town (we got quite a few OOTers on the weekends) and he took the absolute lamest route from MacKenzie park to my house because he followed his stupid Uber navigation app.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This has no chance of happening.
I’ve always contended that the likelihood of widespread (or even moderate) use of self driving cars is slim to none.

Reactions: sdsrfr and PRCD

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I’ve always contended that the likelihood of widespread (or even moderate) use of self driving cars is slim to none.
I rode in a pilot self driving car in Pittsburgh (with a "minder" in the passenger seat) and it was fvcking terrifying. No thanks. It's one of those things where if ALL cars were self driving that maybe be okay but a mix of self driving and regular is not good.

Reactions: Witchipoo

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I rode in a pilot self driving car in Pittsburgh (with a "minder" in the passenger seat) and it was fvcking terrifying. No thanks. It's one of those things where if ALL cars were self driving that maybe be okay but a mix of self driving and regular is not good.
I went to Carnegie-Mellon's NREC (National Robotics Engineering Center) in Pittsburgh in 2017 for a week and at that time they were re-staffing after Uber poached a bunch of their top engineers with $25 - 50K raises. One of 'em was saying that the self-driving cars required human intervention on average once every 0.7 miles. They were looking for that figure to double every year. At that rate the everage would be one human intervention every 11.2 miles by now.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
San Diego surge prices at the airport were already approaching yellow cab prices but with an hour wait to boot, and that was before COVID.

good for the drivers for driving for someone else who provide better experiences and pay. wonder what will happen when the food delivery surge falls off. Take out gets old when you can eat out for the same price minus the drive and parking to/from.

IMO it was inevitable and only a matter of time. Reminds me of dot com bust with all the VC bowing out. This time it wasn’t massive headline grabbing parties, it was experiences for millennials to post and boast about on social media to promote the brand.

Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I attribute my skepticism at least as much to the regulatory environment as I do the technical complications.

TBH, in today’s world with todays governments the invention of the wheel would have been shut down. Too dangerous.

I mean we just shut down the whole fucking country destroying millions of small businesses for a virus that is basically the flu.

You think “public safety” regulators are going to allow a 1 ton machine to jam around on city streets by itself?

I just don’t see it happening.

While we’re on the subject, The Great State of California should have used the money we are wasting on “high speed” rail to build electric car charging infrastructure in the state instead.

Duh.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
While we’re on the subject, The Great State of California should have used the money we are wasting on “high speed” rail to build electric car charging infrastructure in the state instead.
For once I agree with you. Biggest money pit ever.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This has no chance of happening.

Lots of money is being bet on this. I don't know which side will win in the end.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I mean we just shut down the whole fucking country destroying millions of small businesses for a virus that is basically the flu.
600,000 people dead in 18 months with heavy restrictions in place. Yes. Just like the flu.

As far as charging stations versus high speed rail, yeah you are probably right, but I don't have a huge stake in what CA does, I pay some taxes there but I don't vote there so that's up to you folks I guess

Reactions: tacos

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
600,000 people dead in 18 months with heavy restrictions in place. Yes. Just like the flu.

As far as charging stations versus high speed rail, yeah you are probably right, but I don't have a huge stake in what CA does, I pay some taxes there but I don't vote there so that's up to you folks I guess
Only 6% of them from covid alone. Almost all of them obese and or over 80.

Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The only reasons Uber worked was drivers didn't fully realize their own costs and loopholes allowed the company to have lower costs than competitors. Some of those loopholes are closing at the same time as drivers are now realizing what wear and tear and depreciation are. The business model is done. I'm proud to say I've never ridden in an Uber/Lyft.
The IRS mileage rate should be added to every ride (if it isn't already) and they should be transparent about that.

Uber has also funnel a lot of money into autonomous car research, so who knows how much of every ride is going to garbage like that.

I wanted one yesterday for a 4 miles trip and it was $15 one way. Ended up driving instead.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I couldn't believe it when people let them off the hook in the election by continuing to allow uber to 1099 drivers when per the law they are clearly employees.
Not exactly. If I work a W2 job, I can't just show up when I please, work for a few hours and then check out without explanation. One of the legal definitions of a contractor is someone who does not have fixed hours, whereas a W2 employee can be fired on the spot for not working the hours that the employer demands. Gig work is a legal gray area that really requires a unique classification of its own and a mechanism for funding SSI, medicare/aid, etc based on the number of hours worked.

What the government allowed these guys to do to cabbies who paid up to a mil for medallions was criminal.
The yellow cab model was protectionist hot garbage to begin with, which is what created the demand for Uber. Maybe it was okay in NYC or SF but in every town I lived in they mostly sucked. Before Uber there were only a handful of cab drivers in SLO. They would show up way later than what the dispatcher said, not carry change, act like entitled dicks, etc. When Uber came around, they immediately go their act together.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I used Uber once and only once after hiking the Trans-Catalina Trail. Since we finished at the Isthmus, had to take Catalina Express back to San Pedro and then grab transportation to Long Beach to get the car. Pretty simple, right?

Well, the first two Uber drivers both got lost trying to find the San Pedro terminal and gave up. 30 minutes later, finally get a ride. Yes, there's a little detour with the construction around 710 but the guy still got lost and from back seat, had to tell him how to read the map on his phone as he couldn't even figure out how to get into downtown Long Beach. Was tired and just wanted to get to the car; shouldn't be having to get the driver un-lost. That's 100% of their job description: get where you are going quickly and efficiently without sticking their head up their ass to the collarbones.

Never again. Those people need to be licensed and as part of said license, they need to show (without app help) that they know the area in which they are working. Maybe not memorize every single cul-de-sac but at least have a clue how to get places in the area you are operating without struggle. Cab and airport shuttle drivers have seemingly always done this quite well over the decades.

Less convenience and competence with more expense seems to be the mantra for these times.
Classic! The same thing happend to my wife and I except we were going from Long beach to San Pedro. Driver came from mid city via riverside and didn't know where to go but wanted to pick up a fare. Meanwhile in the back seat we were on our google maps and telling them they were lost and to go this way. Took an extra 20 mins to go over the bridge. Once we arrived, we reported them. That was my first and last time in an uber ride. DONE!

Reactions: Kento