Twitter lol

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I worked for a successful furniture maker. It's not easy to be a successful furniture maker doing one-off stuff. He bristled when he heard people dismiss luck as a factor of their success. He said, "Of course luck has a LOT to do with it." He got jump started in his career because he was at a lumber yard and was backing up to look at a piece of lumber and bumped into someone who said, "Watch where you're going!" And he replied, "Watch where YOU'RE going!" The person was Neil Young who became a life long client. Of all the luck. I got to meet Neil. If you didn't know him you'd think he was a truck driver.
This is huge. It's not even possible to get starts like this nowadays. You're not going to start out at a local sawmill learning about lumber b/c they've mostly been closed-down or automated. You're not going to start at a furniture maker anymore b/c furniture factories have been sent to China along with much of the cabinet making. You're not going to get a start like Kelly Johnson b/c most high school kids don't take shop class and college kids don't have access to a wind tunnel like he did, nor are we in the heyday of air frame design like the 20s - 70s.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This is huge. It's not even possible to get starts like this nowadays. You're not going to start out at a local sawmill learning about lumber b/c they've mostly been closed-down or automated. You're not going to start at a furniture maker anymore b/c furniture factories have been sent to China along with much of the cabinet making. You're not going to get a start like Kelly Johnson b/c most high school kids don't take shop class and college kids don't have access to a wind tunnel like he did, nor are we in the heyday of air frame design like the 20s - 70s.
Greg Griffin passing, who to my knowledge never had a protegee, made me think about how much craftsman knowledge is dying and fading away with nobody to carry it on :(

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Greg Griffin passing, who to my knowledge never had a protegee, made me think about how much craftsman knowledge is dying and fading away with nobody to carry it on :(
When the Boomers retire and die, we're going to experience a big de-technologization. Not only will we no longer have the expertise to develop new tech, we won't be able to maintain old tech.

Most students in engineering school are responding to market signals and studying software rather than the applied sciences that make something physical. The heyday for my field in the US was two generations back. Peter Thiel talks a lot about this. See this.

• Haha
Reactions: vanrysss

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
When the Boomers retire and die, we're going to experience a big de-technologization. Not only will we no longer have the expertise to develop new tech, we won't be able to maintain old tech.

Most students in engineering school are responding to market signals and studying software rather than the applied sciences that make something physical. The heyday for my field in the US was two generations back. Peter Thiel talks a lot about this. See this.

Absurd coming from a person who thinks the Bible is literally true.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was lucky to work for the guy. He was a genius in his own right, doing furniture with hyperbolic parabaloids before they were used in twinzers. Once we were talking about the woodworking professor at SCIARC (So Cal Institute of Architecture) and I asked him why he never decided to teach. HIs reply was, "I'm teaching YOU aren't I?"

I also worked for a furniture company in Northern Italy. I was learning hand carving. They did mostly baroque/rococo stuff for Arab clients (and Sylvester Stallone). The old time wood carvers I worked with told me, "Stick with it, because none of the local kids want to do it anymore. They just want to sit at a computer. When we're gone, there will be nobody left and you will have a ton of work and can charge what you want." I was not able to stay because the owner of the factory could not get a visa for me (he didn't want any under the table arrangments..unusual for Italy). He was told that for Americans they needed a specialty that no Italian can do. He said, "I haven't had a young person come in asking for a job in a decade." But it was still s no.

Interesting political slant- the two old guys I worked with were on opposite ends of the political spectrum. One was a card carrying communist. The other, a Northern League separatist. The communist would always show me and teach me stuff and help me when I had questions. The right wing "leghista" would not show me jack... until the boss came and told him to.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I was lucky to work for the guy. He was a genius in his own right, doing furniture with hyperbolic parabaloids before they were used in twinzers. Once we were talking about the woodworking professor at SCIARC (So Cal Institute of Architecture) and I asked him why he never decided to teach. HIs reply was, "I'm teaching YOU aren't I?"
DId he have sons? Handing down of knowledge used to go from father to son at least in the trades. I've noticed that there are few ways to do this anymore. The corporate structure mostly prevents this in the applied sciences. For instance, I have a father with a bunch of patents in my field but he couldn't get me a job at his plant b/c of hiring freezes. I got another one then my 'reer diverged. Seems like such a waste.
I also worked for a furniture company in Northern Italy. I was learning hand carving. They did mostly baroque/rococo stuff for Arab clients (and Sylvester Stallone). The old time wood carvers I worked with told me, "Stick with it, because none of the local kids want to do it anymore. They just want to sit at a computer. When we're gone, there will be nobody left and you will have a ton of work and can charge what you want."
I have this problem now. Neighborhood parents put their kids on devices to babysit them. Mine don't have any, so they're often playing by themselves. I'm buying a Go Kart project to give them something productive to do. I got rabbits for this same reason.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Horace, 20 BC

Old windbags have always complained about younger generations and predicted doom. Get off it, the kids will be alright.
How many do you have? Where is Horace's civilization now?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
DId he have sons? Handing down of knowledge used to go from father to son at least in the trades. I've noticed that there are few ways to do this anymore. The corporate structure mostly prevents this in the applied sciences. For instance, I have a father with a bunch of patents in my field but he couldn't get me a job at his plant b/c of hiring freezes. I got another one then my 'reer diverged. Seems like such a waste.

I have this problem now. Neighborhood parents put their kids on devices to babysit them. Mine don't have any, so they're often playing by themselves. I'm buying a Go Kart project to give them something productive to do. I got rabbits for this same reason.
No kids.

Right now I'm hand shaping a board and was thinking there is not much incentive to do this anymore.

One government program I would support would be like Japan's "Living National Treasures" program which subsidizes the work of traditional craftsmen. And women.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That’s what happens here. You start as a sweeper.
0D56F620-1AD0-4FEC-A813-4F860D786DDA.jpeg
We have mostly Parota, it’s bulletproof but an absolute bitch to work with. 6 guys with 2 helpers in the shop, mostly family. They are always busy with more work than they can handle.

For you woodheads, check into Parota.

Reactions: PRCD

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
No kids.

Right now I'm hand shaping a board and was thinking there is not much incentive to do this anymore.

One government program I would support would be like Japan's "Living National Treasures" program which subsidizes the work of traditional craftsmen. And women.

you know george nakashima ? his studio is about an hour away from where i live. they sometimes let the public in for tours. cool stuff. his daughter mira continues to produce from his designs. not too pricey for what it is...

a lot of his stuff used to turn up at auction around there - i can afford her, not him though...

Reactions: One-Off

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
ad hominem
It's not ad hominem to point out that you have no experience in what you're discussing thus do not have the facts in hand.
See? Horace's civilization is still with us today :)
The Roman world ended in 420 AD setting technology back quite far for a thousand years. As to its causes, see "City of God" by Augustine. As to its effects, here:
To your point - if there is one - it's not the end of the world, just the end of yours.

you know george nakashima ? his studio is about an hour away from where i live. they sometimes let the public in for tours. cool stuff. his daughter mira continues to produce from his designs. not too pricey for what it is...

a lot of his stuff used to turn up at auction around there - i can afford her, not him though...
Now is a great time to visit Japan. The exchange rates are awesome, it's a wonderful place to visit. I traveled everywhere on the train. I watched DREAM in the Tokyo Dome. I drank sake at a traditional sake facility. I'd love to go back.

Last edited:

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I worked for Jimmy Buffett for a year and have been very fortunate to call him a friend ever since. He is pretty much who you hope he would be and still seems truly amazed by the success he's had—and that he somehow manages to still pack arenas. I don't think he's taken the success he's had for granted a day in his life--and he doesn't take the people who work for him for granted--at all. He's also though -- just wicked smart and perceptive.
To be honest his cheeseburgers suck and so does his music. Hell of a guy though!

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I worked for Jimmy Buffett for a year and have been very fortunate to call him a friend ever since. He is pretty much who you hope he would be and still seems truly amazed by the success he's had—and that he somehow manages to still pack arenas. I don't think he's taken the success he's had for granted a day in his life--and he doesn't take the people who work for him for granted--at all. He's also though -- just wicked smart and perceptive.
Tell your buddy Jimmy to stop tearing mangroves out and building Margaritavilles all over Florida. Seems like it is never enough with that guy.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They put one of those monstrosities (hotel/store/beach resort/Margaritaville combo) up in Jax Beach, right between Casa Marina and Condo Greyskull. B-grade frequented by not just me. They actually left the street-end parking which is constantly getting commandeered for months on end by fucking construction crews so it could be worse. Likes ENE-S and low tide (before the hurricanes) or anything short period/mixed and high.

The second-floor Landshark Lookout deck is a prime place for perving on Duval talent. I recommend the warm, dry week in March. Nothing like water in the upper 50s and the first tanning week of the year coinciding. Heaps of bikinis, fewer roosters, waves for all (you'll be alone off the main Pier zone).

Last edited: