Twinzer Feedback?

GMN

Aug 26, 2022
I just picked up a used kenson off board source (first time getting a board through them so we will see how it goes). At 170lbs would yall recommend his large fin template? I typically err towards more fin than less and like the feel of a quad more than a twin but wanted to try this out and don't know where to start.

Reactions: MathDebater

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Yes
Look at these too

GMN

Aug 26, 2022
thank you! I ordered his template in a large and will tweak from there. I've got zero experience with twinzers but should be a fun rabbit hole

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Anyone tried a twin fin set-up with the little twinzer fins further back in a quad fin set-up? The shaper of one of the boards I have on order messaged to say that he put them as trailing fin instead of twinzers. He said he would re-do the board, so no worries there, but is this a set-up that would work?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
@000
Didn't want to clog up @One-Off post. But this is my basic layout

View attachment 143649
Your slot is much wider than what I use- 1-5/8 vs 1-1/8. Also more overlap- up to 5/8? Did you always use a wide gap? Is there a difference in feel? I wouldn't mind a wider gap so I can use 4 FCS II boxes instead of the cut fusions, then I can play around with fin positions with g-10 fins. Alos on one of your recent builds there was no overlap, unless I read the photo wrong.

After a really good session today at my local (yeah I'm mentioning it in every post I make right now :roflmao:...it's been so long, I almost forgot what real surfing is like), I'm planning a new board for the spot. It's considered a longboard spot but today I was on my 7-4 swooping. My 7-4 is a 2+1. I'm thinking of making a 7-6 or 7-8 twinzer. I have a 8-3 twinzer that is my normal go to for the spot, but now that I can avoid weekends I think I'm going to design the board for the wave, not the crowd. I'm trying to figure out how to scale up the twinzer fin settings for a longer board. The 8-3 is at 9" and is extremely fast but has moments of loosey goosey (could also be the AM templates which are relatively small). I also measured the cant the other day and the mains were at 6 and the canards were at 12.:eek:. They are the Griffin fins from a five fin set and he made them so you can change the cant (the tabs are tapered and to increase cant you add a little shim to the outboard edge of the tab). I must have liked them at 12. I might try putting them in without the shims and see what it feels like (I'm guessing without the shims the cant will be 8).

ps I'm beginning to question the FCSII system because of having the set screws on two sides. I notice when I tighten the back screw the cant increases and then when I tighten the front screw it takes some of the cant out.

pls does anyone think that the center fin causes a board to get a little tracky at the end of a cutback?

Reactions: ghostshaper

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Your slot is much wider than what I use- 1-5/8 vs 1-1/8. Also more overlap- up to 5/8? Did you always use a wide gap?
The 1 5/8" is distance from rail, the slot between the the main and canard is about 1 1/8" or so. The gap or distance between the main and the trailing edge of the canard is 3/16-5/8" :shaka:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Overlap is a misconception of the concept.

Wil told me to increase the gap as speed increases (from larger surf). I assume it's bc the water flow is faster and would hit past the main fin if you keep the same gap as for small surf.

In trying bigger canards, they loosened the board too much. I reasoned it was due to the smaller gap, even though fin SA increased.

Regarding cant, my magic board started w 4 degrees in the mains, was too loose, so I found 2 degrees made it perfect for me. I never felt a difference in canard cant (and I tried several, including negative cant) from breaking out C5 boxes and not being able to set the new boxes at the same angle (and from trying many different canards).

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
That‘s interesting regarding cant. I don’t think Futures makes a twin with anything even close to 4 degrees let alone 2. I think most are over 6 degrees.

Are you toeing in the mains, @ghostshaper?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal

Wil told me to increase the gap as speed increases (from larger surf). I assume it's bc the water flow is faster and would hit past the main fin if you keep the same gap as for small surf.
Thank you E for responding. The reason I "changed" direction in canard placement was from the water hose test I did a while back. I posted it on my IG story and talked a great length with GG about my results. He was not convinced my test was valid, but what I saw was enough to make me change.Vince Broglio, who you know worked with Wil, gaps farther than I do on the boards that I've seen
:shaka:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

In trying bigger canards, they loosened the board too much. I reasoned it was due to the smaller gap, even though fin SA increased.

Regarding cant, my magic board started w 4 degrees in the mains, was too loose, so I found 2 degrees made it perfect for me. I never felt a difference in canard cant (and I tried several, including negative cant) from breaking out C5 boxes and not being able to set the new boxes at the same angle (and from trying many different canards).
Just to be clear, by gap I mean the parallel distance of the inside faces of the fins, by over lap the ditance of the front edge of the main and the trialing edge of canard.

I can see how you can open the gap at higher speeds.

The fins I made/make have a tapered tab. So the board I just made now has 5 and 8 but can be reduced to about 2 and 5.

I'm assuming you guys all know Griffin's tapered tab cant adjustment trick.

What are your canards set at? 2 also?

By the way, thanks to you and n4s for all the twinzer advice. I'm always making all different kinds and sizes of boards so do not benefit from the highly focused iterative process you guys seem to have.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Vince is in an area w way more power (and speed) than what we have down here. Makes sense that he wants to spread the cluster.

I was using 4wfs, so I think the max cant disc was 8 degrees. Again, all my testing on wils board was a result of broken boxes and losing canards.

The bottom line is that you can make a twinzer feel as solid as you want it to feel. The design doesn't have to be slidey like a twin. But it should be fast. Same advantage as twins in weak surf or fast down the line waves.

Ask any shaper why they overlap the canards.

Reactions: need 4 speed

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@One-Off I reposted the vid on my story if you want to check it out. I recommend doing it for yourself too, it's a good visual

Ask any shaper why they overlap the canards= monkey see/ monkey do
Highly doubtful many are doing much/any experimenting (some have been doing
twinzers for a long time and have their spot)

Last edited: