Twinzer Feedback?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I wouldn't even know how to identify that if I knew what it was :monkey:
Wil had to explain it to me: think pringles chip w/ bottom rocker the length of the board and a high point in the middle of the fin cluster, wrt the rails. He said you want your back foot on that center point.

I just make a slight single concave to vee out the back and stick my back foot against the foot stop, haha.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Wil had to explain it to me: think pringles chip w/ bottom rocker the length of the board and a high point in the middle of the fin cluster, wrt the rails. He said you want your back foot on that center point.

I just make a slight single concave to vee out the back and stick my back foot against the foot stop, haha.
I gotcha.

I don't think that's going on with my board, but I'll have to double check with a straight edge.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
^ first shot is hard to decipher, second looks like double, third looks like single, :unsure:

@jkb the 4 channel mains are @ 6 3/4, 4°cant with 3/16 toe and 1 5/8" from rail ( no secrets) but the sensation of lift on this board is the strongest I've felt, unique and addictive. I just made new mains for it and made massive improvement feel wise. It's @Liv3mind's proto type I scaled up to 5 3/8 h. All of my boards are under 8" fin placement, with around 7" being my sweet spot
the 6-8 mini gun at the glasser is @7 1/2"
6-2 inverted vee is @6 3/4" with 3/16" adjustment fore and aft
these two are probably a couple weeks from finish

Reactions: jkb and ghostshaper

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Twinzer stap came in and it turned out really nice!

6'4 x 19 x 2 3/8
PU/PE

Hoping to be able to take it out next week.

Rode this thing for the first time today. Waves finally had enough of a face to justify trying it out, but I was worried it would feel a bit boaty since the prior day I surfed a board 10" shorter.

Despite it being too much board for the conditions, it still ended up being a great maiden voyage. Lots of acceleration through bottom turns.......which was absent with the straight twins I've ridden. After a warm up wave the board started to feel really playful. I could whip through a turn and pivot sharply if I wanted to or put a bit more pressure on the tail and carve through a turn without feeling like it would slide out.

Paddling around the line-up and wave catching was really easy. The entry rocker is perfect.

Got some compliments from a few random people, so that was a good sign it wasn't all in my head.

Stocked on how this one feels so far. If the good feels continue, I'll put in an order for a 7'4" twinzer pretty soon. :shaka:

May 20, 2020
I've never ridden a twinzer but Im super interested. Anybody riding a twinzer in beach break conditions or mainly points/slower fatter surf? Wondering how the twinzer handles top to bottom surf and where it tops out

Sep 20, 2019
I've never ridden a twinzer but Im super interested. Anybody riding a twinzer in beach break conditions or mainly points/slower fatter surf? Wondering how the twinzer handles top to bottom surf and where it tops out
I ride one. They work. Better than quads, think thruster without drag. Lots of great guys here with a ton of knowledge. Placement and overlap is critical. It’s hard to explain the feeling. Harder you push the faster you go. They also don’t stall on your backhand turns. My DD is a twinzer, step up is a twinzer as well. , I ride it up to waves Im comfortable to paddle it to. Few spots here get really fat and slow when bigger. It’s nice to be able to cover a bunch of ground and set up for inside barrel section when hits inside bar. Get one.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
There are tweaks that can be done to improve the feel in top to bottom surf. #downtherabbitholeyougo

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
There are tweaks that can be done to improve the feel in top to bottom surf. #downtherabbitholeyougo
took mine out at small to medium sized cloudbreak. it was either a baby swallow or roundpin. No topping out.

Twinzers are fast, so they work well in gutless crap.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
I’m in EL Salvador riding a Roberts disco diamond with Twonzer set up. Finally got to really open it up on the point breaks down here. Wish the boar had a bit more nose rocker ( gonna order another Twonzer fin set up in the MeatClever or same type of model). Unbelievably fast, holds on the hardest turns and does ok in the barrel. The only drawback is the custom 4 fin setup is quite noticeably heavier than regular fins and all 4 fin boxes are meant for regular fins and not small sidebites for regular quad rears. But the speed makes up it. I rode a thruster the first day of the double overhead swell and it felt slow and it was like I was always needing to find that 5th gear but never could. The Twonzer shifted into gear without much effort. I did have to make adjustments to the way I would approach the flow as apposed to the way a thruster rides. Never going back to 3 fins.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’m in EL Salvador riding a Roberts disco diamond with Twonzer set up. Finally got to really open it up on the point breaks down here. Wish the boar had a bit more nose rocker ( gonna order another Twonzer fin set up in the MeatClever or same type of model). Unbelievably fast, holds on the hardest turns and does ok in the barrel. The only drawback is the custom 4 fin setup is quite noticeably heavier than regular fins and all 4 fin boxes are meant for regular fins and not small sidebites for regular quad rears. But the speed makes up it. I rode a thruster the first day of the double overhead swell and it felt slow and it was like I was always needing to find that 5th gear but never could. The Twonzer shifted into gear without much effort. I did have to make adjustments to the way I would approach the flow as apposed to the way a thruster rides. Never going back to 3 fins.
Try bamboo fins. Maybe 101 can make you a set?

Actually I just tried his (Marlon Bacon's) website and it's not working. Anyone have info?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
So far there are no Twinzers like mine , do what you want with that :)

They don't work better than a well designed 4 fin

They both can - do - work great - just like a well designed Thruster

G-10 weighs slightly more and gives you Way more in return .

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Curious about these tweaks if you're willing to share.
This dude has been tinkering with his twinzer shapes and fin placements for multiple years, and knows what works for him (GGish rear placement).
That may or may not work for your surfing, but
he’s out in the time to figure it out for himself.
I like a different placement. YMMV