Twinzer Feedback?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
My current favorite setup.

20210303_093109.jpg

At first the rear keels felt too big but i've grown to like them a lot. The keels have a fair amount of flex in the tips - get kinda of a slingshot effect coming out of the bottom turn with a ton of speed. In direct comparison with or without the front canards - the one thing i notice is that with the canards - it gives you a wider attack angle - especially with the bigger keels - feels less tracky. If you like riding twins - have nothing to lose by adding the front canard plugs - when the conditions are small i sometimes pull the front canards and just ride it as twin.
Canard plugs ...

20210303_093734.jpg

I do have a set of the Lovelace Piggyback Keels ordered - looking forward to giving those a try.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Really interested to see what you're running - board and fins- if you have the time for pics or shaper info?
Long time bonzer disciple here and would love to have an all round good wave twinzer.
Thanks!
Sorry - missed your post earlier ...

The 6'4" ... Barry Snyder - R2 model

20200118_113048_HDR.jpg

20200118_113125_HDR.jpg

The 6'10" - Barry Snyder Apollo model .... with the length you could classify this as a mid-length - love this board - carves amazing and solid in the barrel.

20200118_113245_HDR.jpg

20200118_113307_HDR.jpg

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I'm intrigued after enjoying the twin (and 2+1) revival, but there's really not many floating around to try before committing to a new board order. Any ride reports relative to a straight twin, t+trailer.....in a blind taste test do you think you could actually feel the difference vs a straight twin?? Thx
It's my feedback that you don't even know what a Twinzer is...

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My current favorite setup.

At first the rear keels felt too big but i've grown to like them a lot. The keels have a fair amount of flex in the tips - get kinda of a slingshot effect coming out of the bottom turn with a ton of speed.
I attribute the drive out of a bottom turn to the canard effect. don't get the same drive w/ a straight twin.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014

View attachment 105928

View attachment 105929

The 6'10" - Barry Snyder Apollo model .... with the length you could classify this as a mid-length - love this board - carves amazing and solid in the barrel.

View attachment 105931

View attachment 105932
That rounded diamond tail on the R2 is very sweet.
Wondering how his Winston Churchill in a 6'3 or 6'5 would fare from this treatment.
Thank you for this.
Sick boards.

Reactions: flyinraptr

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

View attachment 105928

View attachment 105929

View attachment 105931

View attachment 105932
Sorry if I'm not up to date- what plugs are you using for the canards? They look the size of 4WFS. I contacted them but they did not get back to me. I don't know if they are distributing in the USA. They also have a very limited fin selection.

Sep 20, 2019
When the fi
Sorry if I'm not up to date- what plugs are you using for the canards? They look the size of 4WFS. I contacted them but they did not get back to me. I don't know if they are distributing in the USA. They also have a very limited fin selection.
Liv3mind was the best but went dark. Hopefully everything is good with George! Barry will cut down a fcs ll plug for canards. I think Barry help design the liv3mind boxes.

Reactions: need 4 speed

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
The last time I bought 4fws plugs, I ordered them online. They shipped from Oz. I'm not sure they're necessary for just canards. They're super useful for mains, though.

I like the FCS fusions for canards. Anything except for c5, really.

No thread is safe from an obligatory Griffin:

This poor boar hasn't seen any action. If the dims fit, PM me and I'll give it up to a good home for a good price. Comes w/ fins made for the boar, haha. Minimal hoof dents.

Sep 20, 2019
The last time I bought 4fws plugs, I ordered them online. They shipped from Oz. I'm not sure they're necessary for just canards. They're super useful for mains, though.

I like the FCS fusions for canards. Anything except for c5, really.

No thread is safe from an obligatory Griffin:

This poor boar hasn't seen any action. If the dims fit, PM me and I'll give it up to a good home for a good price. Comes w/ fins made for the boar, haha. Minimal hoof dents.
@ghostshaper love it.

Reactions: ghostshaper

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Good info about the canard plugs!

For those of you shaping twinzers, do you place the mains further back than you would if you were building a straight twin?

Reactions: urchined

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Make sure you don’t get the shitty futures boxes for the canard fin. FCS or LIv3mind only.
cant go wrong with the RFC canards. Fins Unlimited makes some too, but i don’t think they sell them without the main fins.
I got lucky there. I texted him yesterday to ask. I had originally asked for futures as that is all I have. Ryan did fusion for the canards. Good shaper move making up for clueless customer. He stayed with futures for main. We had spoken a few weeks after the order about the fin system so I knew not to buy fins as he said he may change it up. He did.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I got lucky there. I texted him yesterday to ask. I had originally asked for futures as that is all I have. Ryan did fusion for the canards. Good shaper move making up for clueless customer. He stayed with futures for main. We had spoken a few weeks after the order about the fin system so I knew not to buy fins as he said he may change it up. He did.
The Futures c5 canard boxes crack inside in the bottom and you may not notice until it is too late. Ghostshaper mentioned it before. I checked mine on an old board and sure enough.

Reactions: jkb and ghostshaper

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
That rounded diamond tail on the R2 is very sweet.
Wondering how his Winston Churchill in a 6'3 or 6'5 would fare from this treatment.
Thank you for this.
Sick boards.
Check his Instagram page - he's posted up different tail variations of both boards. I've been riding his boards for a little while now - he's got some old school influence (Brewer and Aipa) - i've grown accustomed to the soft forgiving rails, wide point forward and pulled in tail. For me - getting up there in age - its all about getting into the wave as early as i can but both handle late drops really well.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Here is an Instagram post Barry made with regards to the canard plugs ... i have not had any issues with the canard plugs on either board.
i
twinzer.png

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@jkb I would think the same position could hold given it's the same type of board, but what do I know
If it were me I'd get canard plugs installed anyway, options(even if unnecessary)
My preference is single Fusion, I like the look better and generally easy enough to adjust to desired placement

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb