Twinzer Feedback?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@Oceanslide I want you to ride any of my 6-2s (I'm sure you would like the copy of sublime/dudebro's Jobson) the 6-4 you rode is a bit of a different animal with vee bottom. I did reduce the fin size since you rode , but it is a round pin I use for more powerful waves. Don't count the grey chop nose you rode either :toilet:

@jkb It has been a long rode and a number of boards(Minami, Nine Lights, SK) to get where I am( a feel that I like/love) All of the boards I've gotten from named shapers worked well, but had moments that I felt could be improved . I started by making bigger and bigger fins, which worked, but intuitively I knew could be better. Which lead me to moving fins back and messing with different raked templates. I started with MR (no offence JDJ ) and quickly figured out that that upright template wouldn't work for me. About the same time I started getting tired of the custom order disappointment and decided that instead of bit ching on an online message board that I would do it myself (thank you @ghostshaper @retodd McCabe Surfboards etc) Learned the basics of shape3d found a cutter and a really good glasser. I've been playing around ever since, some where over 10 boards now. My post above lines out where I'm at fin position wise, for me is probably the most important component (with rocker and outline) Moving fins back allowed me to reduce the size of my fins without losing any drive and projection. Fins at 8 1/2 all had one thing in common: moments of quirkiness and disconnect, always at the worst possible time. YMMV

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
@Oceanslide I want you to ride any of my 6-2s (I'm sure you would like the copy of sublime/dudebro's Jobson) the 6-4 you rode is a bit of a different animal with vee bottom. I did reduce the fin size since you rode , but it is a round pin I use for more powerful waves. Don't count the grey chop nose you rode either :toilet:

@jkb It has been a long rode and a number of boards(Minami, Nine Lights, SK) to get where I am( a feel that I like/love) All of the boards I've gotten from named shapers worked well, but had moments that I felt could be improved . I started by making bigger and bigger fins, which worked, but intuitively I knew could be better. Which lead me to moving fins back and messing with different raked templates. I started with MR (no offence JDJ ) and quickly figured out that that upright template wouldn't work for me. About the same time I started getting tired of the custom order disappointment and decided that instead of bit ching on an online message board that I would do it myself (thank you @ghostshaper @retodd McCabe Surfboards etc) Learned the basics of shape3d found a cutter and a really good glasser. I've been playing around ever since, some where over 10 boards now. My post above lines out where I'm at fin position wise, for me is probably the most important component (with rocker and outline) Moving fins back allowed me to reduce the size of my fins without losing any drive and projection. Fins at 8 1/2 all had one thing in common: moments of quirkiness and disconnect, always at the worst possible time. YMMV
Thanks for the response. I know you've been experimenting a lot with these for a while now. Just didn't know if the vertical surfing comment was related to a specific detail like canard overlap or cant as opposed to a multitude of details, which sounds more accurate from what you're saying.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@jkb
For good top to bottom beach break, I think it's best to get a true HPSB with a slightly more reward fin position than OG Jobson. I think the traditional Jobson slot is enough for the hold. On my 6-2 four channel and 6-4 vee bottom I run close to 1/4" overlap(for tighter sheds) I think Greg is possible an inch or so farther back than I run and is probably running a slightly smaller main(maybe 5-5 1/4" or so ) common for me to run a 0-1/4" gap on fishy type boards for grovel condition . I would still advocate for lowish tail rocker (<2")even in punchy beach break. Ditch the fang tail and go straight cut shallow swallow.:cheers:
@GG
I don't think there isn't an aspect of my boards not inspired by your designs:favorite rocker, rails,fins template :shaka:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Working out my fin placements. 6-8 x 21 with 15.75 tail.

On the right main at 7.5" up. But that makes it only 5.5 inches from the point of the diamond. It looked really far back. Maybe it would make GG happy?

I tried moving it up on the left, 8.5 up, so 6.5 from the diamond. It looks far away from the end of the board.

IMG_5314.jpg

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Working out my fin placements. 6-8 x 21 with 15.75 tail.

On the right main at 7.5" up. But that makes it only 5.5 inches from the point of the diamond. It looked really far back. Maybe it would make GG happy?

I tried moving it up on the left, 8.5 up, so 6.5 from the diamond. It looks far away from the end of the board.

View attachment 110837

Ditch the Diamond Tail

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
YES ! I have Spoken !!
I appreciate your advice. I'm normally a swallow tail guy, but I wanted to try something different. I like the idea of shortening the rail line to get a shorter feel. And I liked what Aruka said about them, " I think a diamond tail feels a little bit like a round pin in that there is always that center point in contact with the water as it rolls rail to rail which gives it that connected, smooth feeling."

I want a shortboard, but admit I need a crutch, as a 60 year old with a recent back injury which has affected my pop up in a negative way. So I'm trying to get mid length paddle with shortboard turns. Hence shortening the rail line.