Twinzer Feedback?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
why do a lot of twinzers seem to have thik tails?
Tails can be anything you want. I can only speak for my own stuff. There's a relationship between deck rocker, tail rocker and target volume that produces tail thickness (there are other factors). I try to hold tail rocker to 2" or less (on this size/type board) so you either accept thickness or you adjust. Meaning either pick a tail that gets back bevel(like swallow tails) or accept "S" deck in the last 12-18" of the board. I don't like S deck, so some of the tails I like have some thickness. IMO if you're over 175 lbs having a super foiled out tail offers very little in the positive unless you're surfing super steep/powerful/critical waves. Inversely I think a little thickness in the tail provides a bit more glide over the softs and something to push against, that you need way more often. Most of my boards have some type of channel(s) which will end up shallow if there isn't enough thickness to allow them to be cut in (if you want deep channels)

Last edited:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Tails can be anything you want. I can only speak for my own stuff. There's a relationship between deck rocker, tail rocker and target volume that produces tail thickness (there are other factors). I try to hold tail rocker to 2" or less (on this size/type board) so you either except thickness or you adjust. Meaning either pick a tail that gets back bevel(like swallow tails) or except "S" deck in the last 12-18" of the board. I don't like S deck, so some of the tails I like have some thickness. IMO if you're over 175 lbs having a super foiled out tail offers very little in the positive unless you're surfing super steep/powerful/critical waves. Inversely I think a little thickness in the tail provides a bit more glide over the softs and something to push against, that you need way more often. Most of my boards have some type of channel(s) which will end up shallow if there isn't enough thickness to allow them to be cut in (if you want deep channels)
stop talking and go shape. is my board done yet?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Tails can be anything you want. I can only speak for my own stuff. There's a relationship between deck rocker, tail rocker and target volume that produces tail thickness (there are other factors). I try to hold tail rocker to 2" or less (on this size/type board) so you either accept thickness or you adjust. Meaning either pick a tail that gets back bevel(like swallow tails) or accept "S" deck in the last 12-18" of the board. I don't like S deck, so some of the tails I like have some thickness. IMO if you're over 175 lbs having a super foiled out tail offers very little in the positive unless you're surfing super steep/powerful/critical waves. Inversely I think a little thickness in the tail provides a bit more glide over the softs and something to push against, that you need way more often. Most of my boards have some type of channel(s) which will end up shallow if there isn't enough thickness to allow them to be cut in (if you want deep channels)
Not sure if it was a rocker or twinzer thing but both my Kangarden twinzer fish and a round tail Rusty c-5 both had very thick tails that felt like afterburners when pressed turning was free and loose.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
why do a lot of twinzers seem to have thik tails?
The tails that jobson was making at the end of his career were thick. I always felt that it helped carry speed through turns, but it could've been some other variable.

If you're looking for speed in slow conditions, go thick... and ditch the center anchor.

Ben Wei also makes thick tails.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The tails that jobson was making at the end of his career were thick. I always felt that it helped carry speed through turns, but it could've been some other variable.

If you're looking for speed in slow conditions, go thick... and ditch the center anchor.

Ben Wei also makes thick tails.
I just don't like the way thick tails sit in the water. thought maybe it was a twinzer thing

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Board came out nice! What's the pin to pin on the swallow?
close to 8.25" off the top of my head.

First surf as a straight twin felt a little too slidey, took the slightest bit of edge off the rails with some 240 grit and added the side bits as canards and it felt great 2nd surf. Really looking forward to dialling in the canards, think its going to be a favourite.

Reactions: need 4 speed