Twinzer feedback?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Here's this thread, I was wondering where it was.

Picked this blade up off C-list, the ad was for some other board, but had a random shot of this in it and I swooped on it. 6'9", rode it in some chest high waves and it feels great so far. Want to get it into some juice.

Looks fun

What are the bottom contours

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Little vee going into light single, a hair of double inside the single by the time you get to the fins, and then vee out the tail. A channel that has some outward curve, but doesn't look like a hyperbolic paraboloid to the discerning eye. Hard bottom edge all the way to 18" from the nose. About 19.5 wide, thin at the tips, and I haven't taken the calipers or long straight stick to it yet.

Don't know if I got my money's worth though, the leash broke on the first wave I fell on.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Here's this thread, I was wondering where it was.

Picked this blade up off C-list, the ad was for some other board, but had a random shot of this in it and I swooped on it. 6'9", rode it in some chest high waves and it feels great so far. Want to get it into some juice.

Beware the overlap! o_O

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Just noticed - that i started this thread back in October 2019 - time flies. Since i picked up my two twinzers for the season this past January - have been switching off between them pretty much exclusively and trying different fin configurations with what i have on hand.

6'4" Twinzer
20200118_113048_HDR.jpg

20200118_113125_HDR.jpg

6'10" twinzer

20200118_113245_HDR.jpg

20200118_113307_HDR.jpg

Having never ridden a twinzer prior to ordering and now after 5 months - a month and a half into the season .... i can say that i am very stocked on the decision to go that route. To me - i don't see a significant advantage with the twinzer design in weak or average surf as compared to a thruster or quad. That's probably where i have experimented most with changing the rear fins and in some cases have had better results just running them as straight twin fins. But once the season started and i had a chance to take em out in waves with some energy and size .... I quickly could feel and experience the difference. I am not going to go as far to say one design is better than another - they all have their advantages, quirks, etc and i think it comes down to personal preference. I've always like the feel of a twin - speed, looseness - the design has flaws in certain conditions .... it feels like the twinzer design mitigates a lot of those flaws - especially in good steep waves. I've reached a point - at least with these two boards - that i prefer the twinzer setup over a thruster or quad when it is HH - OH+. Flying down the line through a big section - with enough speed to where you don't feel like you have to pump and yet having control and the ability to easily change your line - is addicting and really helps instill confidence in solid waves.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Just noticed - that i started this thread back in October 2019 - time flies. Since i picked up my two twinzers for the season this past January - have been switching off between them pretty much exclusively and trying different fin configurations with what i have on hand.

6'4" Twinzer
View attachment 93212

View attachment 93213

6'10" twinzer

View attachment 93214

View attachment 93215

Having never ridden a twinzer prior to ordering and now after 5 months - a month and a half into the season .... i can say that i am very stocked on the decision to go that route. To me - i don't see a significant advantage with the twinzer design in weak or average surf as compared to a thruster or quad. That's probably where i have experimented most with changing the rear fins and in some cases have had better results just running them as straight twin fins. But once the season started and i had a chance to take em out in waves with some energy and size .... I quickly could feel and experience the difference. I am not going to go as far to say one design is better than another - they all have their advantages, quirks, etc and i think it comes down to personal preference. I've always like the feel of a twin - speed, looseness - the design has flaws in certain conditions .... it feels like the twinzer design mitigates a lot of those flaws - especially in good steep waves. I've reached a point - at least with these two boards - that i prefer the twinzer setup over a thruster or quad when it is HH - OH+. Flying down the line through a big section - with enough speed to where you don't feel like you have to pump and yet having control and the ability to easily change your line - is addicting and really helps instill confidence in solid waves.
Your take is the opposite of mine:
When there's swell, I don't need my board to generate speed b/c the wave energy provides it; when it's small/weak, thrusters drag, and this is when a twinzer shines. Speed right from the takeoff and no pumping that a thruster requires.

I was unsure if a twinzer would work in waves of consequence, so Brian at Fins Unlimited offered to make me a quad set before my trip to Fiji 5 years ago. Didn't use the quads once and sold them as soon as I got home.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Dragless Thrusters :

I did ride it as a thruster and I couldn’t handle the speed I surfed it a few weeks ago and before that I hadn’t surfed for 3 months due to the beaches being closed I got my ass whooped but the board felt incredible.

This is in Florida surf too ;-)

Reactions: Swiftvelo

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Your take is the opposite of mine:
When there's swell, I don't need my board to generate speed b/c the wave energy provides it; when it's small/weak, thrusters drag, and this is when a twinzer shines. Speed right from the takeoff and no pumping that a thruster requires.

I was unsure if a twinzer would work in waves of consequence, so Brian at Fins Unlimited offered to make me a quad set before my trip to Fiji 5 years ago. Didn't use the quads once and sold them as soon as I got home.
Your comments make sense. My twinzers were custom shaped specifically for Nica barrels in mind. Both with the tails pulled in quite a bit for hold in steep waves ... which i am guessing probably explains the differences in our experiences. Here the waves can be really fast (a lot of barreling beach break type waves) - especially when the tide drops - being able to get in early and having speed out of the gate - helps to mask my surfing talent or lack thereof! ;)

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
What's going on with this FCS plug in the middle of the board in front of the twinzer fins?

1604173932559.jpeg

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I met a designer in Jeff's shop that ran "finlets" like that
We talked for a bit, we had quite different fin placements

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
ive been riding a wide tailed twin that i feel needs more hold. gonna add some c5s and twinzerfy it.....

Reactions: need 4 speed