Tuna recipes?

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
This is how my Dad and I will cook it.

Make up a marinade of olive oil, Dale's, sesame oil, hit of soy, black pepper, honey. Whisk together and coat the steak for 15 to 20 mins. Sesame seeds optional.

Heat up charcoal in the cylinder, and when the flame starts to look like a blue jet, pop the grill over the cylinder, rather than dumping the coals in the grill. The grill will quickly get hot. Oil it, then then throw the tuna down and sear the outside, but keep the interior as rare as possible. Works best with a thick/brick like steak. The fish goes quick, so don't wait too long. Slice and eat.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Olive oil poached tuna is great for tuna sammies. Sous vide is so much easier and better. In a vacuum seal bag - chuna, 1-2tbsp olive oil, fresh dill, pepper, salt, vacuum seal, sous vide 150º for 30m. Best tuna sammie tuna ever.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
For a mahi mahi steak.

1. tablespoon cumin, tablespoon coriander, teaspoon sea salt, teaspoon black pepper, mix together on a flat plate

2. heat cast iron pan on the stove, medium high

3. put mahi mahi on the plate of spice, flip to coat other side, get sides as well

4. after five minutes to allow iron to heat up, put fish in pan and drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil on the pan by the side fish where it touches the pan..allows it to wick under the fish (forms a bit of crust this way)

5. depending on heat, flip fish after 5 minutes, again put a little sesame oil on the pan by the side of the fish

6. take off heat after 3-5 minutes and serve with side of rice and some vegetables (am a fan of salad with a bit of 'spicy' greens, like watercress or a Japanese salad green that is probably a type of mustard, but could be in same family of arugula ('rocket')

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For a mahi mahi steak.

1. tablespoon cumin, tablespoon coriander, teaspoon sea salt, teaspoon black pepper, mix together on a flat plate

2. heat cast iron pan on the stove, medium high

3. put mahi mahi on the plate of spice, flip to coat other side, get sides as well

4. after five minutes to allow iron to heat up, put fish in pan and drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil on the pan by the side fish where it touches the pan..allows it to wick under the fish (forms a bit of crust this way)

5. depending on heat, flip fish after 5 minutes, again put a little sesame oil on the pan by the side of the fish

6. take off heat after 3-5 minutes and serve with side of rice and some vegetables (am a fan of salad with a bit of 'spicy' greens, like watercress or a Japanese salad green that is probably a type of mustard, but could be in same family of arugula ('rocket')
Mahi Mahi is Dorado, not tuna. I learned that from either Dick or Art Brewer.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
and don't forget poke every time you get fresh YF/BF.

oneula's recipe

this is authentic style that I was taught
everything else out there is not

Cut the fish into 1 inch chunks
Add a little dab of hawaiian salt preferably REAL NOT DYED, red alai salt from kauai
Add a little dab of REAL hawaian chili pepper water to taste
some finely chopped limu kohu, or real limu from the ocean not the stuff grown in tubs on the big island
preferably crunchy manauea but waiwai ole, ele'ele, lipoa or huluhuluwaina will work as well
some chopped roasted kukui nut
some chopped maui onion
gently rub (lomi) the ingredients together and place in the icebox for a couple of hours to miko

add-ons if needed
some finely chopped green onion
a dab of sesame oil to taste
On the hilo side of the big island they use baby fernshoots instead of ogo (seaweed)

This is the way hawaiians have made poke from the dawn of time using only ingredients they got from the ocean and the land

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Last batch of yellowfin, don't think I cooked any of it and had a full loin from a 70lbs. fish.

Crispy rice cakes with sesame seed, lightly dress the tuna in some soy, sesame oil. Thin red onion, cucumbers and spicy mayo with a bit of lime zest on top. Avocado or whatever else you'd like to substitute. Or just smush it all together and don't try to impress your friends.

Attachments

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We usually get it in medallions around 1” thick. Olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and corse ground black pepper marinade. Seared on a hot grill. Don’t over cook.

Blackened big easy style is good.

I’ve always wanted to make a smoker, it’s on the todo list... I think @_____ has a hot setup.

Reactions: santacruzin

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Olive oil poached tuna is great for tuna sammies. Sous vide is so much easier and better. In a vacuum seal bag - chuna, 1-2tbsp olive oil, fresh dill, pepper, salt, vacuum seal, sous vide 150º for 30m. Best tuna sammie tuna ever.
Really 150°? I rarely cook tuna but if I did it would be no more then 123°. Mostly I would mostly make poke or sashimi.