Trump wants part of the procedes of a private business deal. Is this even legal?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Turboclowns gonna turboclown.

[/QUOTE]

that's not what he said, though making any sort of sense of what he did say is an entirely different challenge

guessing you are not aware of the typical tax ramifications of mergers and acquisitions?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
that's not what he said, though making any sort of sense of what he did say is an entirely different challenge

guessing you are not aware of the typical tax ramifications of mergers and acquisitions?
[/QUOTE]
A janitor is a tax expert? Oh do tell, what is the Tax on the sale of a company? I mean, I've bought and sold lots of shares, and never paid tax on the transaction. But I'm just a dumb woodworker.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
no, but you must be, so please explain.

while you’re at it, please explain th ramifications of a president attempting to artificially inflate the value of an asset as he’s forcing a sale or merger.

Cui bono?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If it’s a cash sale the US entity must pay taxes. How depends on how they are organized. How much depends on the structure of the purchase carried losses etc etc. if it’s a stock swap it gets very complex but there’s still going to be tax filings.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
no, but you must be, so please explain.

while you’re at it, please explain th ramifications of a president attempting to artificially inflate the value of an asset as he’s forcing a sale or merger.

Cui bono?
There is no tax on the sale of stock. There would only be a tax on capital gains. So I guess it would depend on where the stock is registered, and where the stock was sold, and who it was sold to, and if there was a profit on the sale. But there is no tax just because tictock sold to microsoft.

Now the really scary part is d0nnie admitting that he is intentionally manipulating the price, by forcing the sale, with the admitted goal of manipulating the stock price.

And add onto the corruption if d0nnie now does nothing. Because then it would be total B.S. on d0nnie 's part, only to manipulate stock prices.

You would do well to just accept that everything d0nnie does is with corrupt intent. Unless pardoned, he will be convicted at the end of the day. I promise you that.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
There is no tax on the sale of stock. There would only be a tax on capital gains. So I guess it would depend on where the stock is registered, and where the stock was sold, and who it was sold to, and if there was a profit on the sale. But there is no tax just because tictock sold to microsoft.

Now the really scary part is d0nnie admitting that he is intentionally manipulating the price, by forcing the sale, with the admitted goal of manipulating the stock price.

And add onto the corruption if d0nnie now does nothing. Because then it would be total B.S. on d0nnie 's part, only to manipulate stock prices.

You would do well to just accept that everything d0nnie does is with corrupt intent. Unless pardoned, he will be convicted at the end of the day. I promise you that.
like VonMeister says, it depends on the corporate structure of the US entity and a bunch of other stuff, like the price of the private stock of the corporate parent during the last round of financing.

as a general rule, if there is a profit of any sort on a transaction, the US gov't wants a piece of the action. Thus the army of lawyers and accountants that typically accompany any sort of merger/acquisition play. They will seek to simultaneously ensure the transaction is as profitable as possible for their client while ensuring that the taxable amounts are minimized, offset by other corporate losses etc etc etc

I don't think Trump admitted to manipulating the price of the transaction. If the government is forcing a sale you could usually safely assume that the asset will be sold at a discount, not a premium.

For now, Bytedance (the corporate parent of tiktok) are not publicly traded, so the stock is limited to trading on secondary markets. There are some very large US venture capital and other investment firms that have invested in the corporate parent.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
like VonMeister says, it depends on the corporate structure of the US entity and a bunch of other stuff, like the price of the private stock of the corporate parent during the last round of financing.

as a general rule, if there is a profit of any sort on a transaction, the US gov't wants a piece of the action. Thus the army of lawyers and accountants that typically accompany any sort of merger/acquisition play. They will seek to simultaneously ensure the transaction is as profitable as possible for their client while ensuring that the taxable amounts are minimized, offset by other corporate losses etc etc etc

I don't think Trump admitted to manipulating the price of the transaction. If the government is forcing a sale you could usually safely assume that the asset will be sold at a discount, not a premium.

For now, Bytedance (the corporate parent of tiktok) are not publicly traded, so the stock is limited to trading on secondary markets. There are some very large US venture capital and other investment firms that have invested in the corporate parent.
Well, since tic tock is a Chinese entity, that d0nnie just threw out of the country, good luck collecting capital gains tax in the U.S.
And Microsoft won't pay any tax, unless they purchase it here, and not a foreign subsidiary, and not until they sell it. Not withstanding income on the investment, but that wasn't what d0nnie was talking about. Hed was wanting as cut because he extorted s bargain price.

I don't listen to much of what von molester says. He thinks d0nnie was going to MAGA, and build some wall that Mexico was going to pay for.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Well, since tic tock is a Chinese entity, that d0nnie just threw out of the country, good luck collecting capital gains tax in the U.S.
And Microsoft won't pay any tax, unless they purchase it here, and not a foreign subsidiary, and not until they sell it. Not withstanding income on the investment, but that wasn't what d0nnie was talking about. Hed was wanting as cut because he extorted s bargain price.

I don't listen to much of what von molester says. He thinks d0nnie was going to MAGA, and build some wall that Mexico was going to pay for.
Don the Con is look for a brokers fee and is trying to extort a company for doing the exact thing that US-based companies do with impunity.

Reactions: mundus

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

"I did say that if you buy it, whatever the price is that goes to whoever owns it, because I guess it's China, essentially, but more than anything else, I said a very substantial portion of that price is going to have to come into the Treasury of the United States, because we're making it possible for this deal to happen," Trump said.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Don the Con is look for a brokers fee and is trying to extort a company for doing the exact thing that US-based companies do with impunity.
He is a wannabe gangster, always have kick up the money to the Boss.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

To level set, tiktok is part of Bytedance, which is a Chinese company that has lots of moving parts and has US investors. They (Bytedance) want to do an IPO, though I'm not sure where. Once the US and other countries (India already banned tiktok) started taking action against tiktok, the corporate parent set up a US subsidiary in an attempt to address the concerns the US has about their data collection and housing.

Trump is saying those steps aren't good enough and if they want access to the US market they are going to have to sell the US entity to a US company AND completely revamp the technology so that there is no data risk for US consumers with the Chinese government. If they don't sell, then they don't get to operate in the US.

This is hardball on Trump's part, but this is also what the Chinese have been doing to US companies for decades now. Then the Chinese government will often hack the intellectual property of the US companies that operate in China and/or or their competitors that haven't taken that crap deal structure.

US tech companies of all stripes get hacked often, but they take extreme steps to hush this up in the press because they are afraid of a backlash from China (how's that for a mindfuck) and from US consumers.

Yes, Trump's word salad press conferences around this issue are confusing at best. I also think this will lead to US companies getting some retaliation in China. But this is looooooooong overdue. We have been ceding a ridiculous amount of the tech/IP competition to China without any push back. He is taking legitimate steps here.

• Love
Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
To level set, tiktok is part of Bytedance, which is a Chinese company that has lots of moving parts and has US investors. They (Bytedance) want to do an IPO, though I'm not sure where. Once the US and other countries (India already banned tiktok) started taking action against tiktok, the corporate parent set up a US subsidiary in an attempt to address the concerns the US has about their data collection and housing.

Trump is saying those steps aren't good enough and if they want access to the US market they are going to have to sell the US entity to a US company AND completely revamp the technology so that there is no data risk for US consumers with the Chinese government. If they don't sell, then they don't get to operate in the US.

This is hardball on Trump's part, but this is also what the Chinese have been doing to US companies for decades now. Then the Chinese government will often hack the intellectual property of the US companies that operate in China and/or or their competitors that haven't taken that crap deal structure.

US tech companies of all stripes get hacked often, but they take extreme steps to hush this up in the press because they are afraid of a backlash from China (how's that for a mindfuck) and from US consumers.

Yes, Trump's word salad press conferences around this issue are confusing at best. I also think this will lead to US companies getting some retaliation in China. But this is looooooooong overdue. We have been ceding a ridiculous amount of the tech/IP competition to China without any push back. He is taking legitimate steps here.
Ummm

BUH DRUMPF?

:D

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

Yup. If he just banned the app, like I said before, I'd be fine. But he isn't capable of just doing that. He has a need to make it about himself, and money.

But that's a really perverted way of looking at it. Kind of like saying Gang's are cool because the shoot other Gangs. Just ignore all the other carnage.

Side note, did you watch his interview on Adios? The man's thought process is truly scary. He has a complete inability to listen, and to process negative information. Fingers in ears and tongue waging. "Nah nah nah, I can't hear you"

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yup. If he just banned the app, like I said before, I'd be fine. But he isn't capable of just doing that. He has a need to make it about himself, and money.

But that's a really perverted way of looking at it. Kind of like saying Gang's are cool because the shoot other Gangs. Just ignore all the other carnage.

Side note, did you watch his interview on Adios? The man's thought process is truly scary. He has a complete inability to listen, and to process negative information. Fingers in ears and tongue waging. "Nah nah nah, I can't hear you"
that interview should be required viewing for the entire nation