The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
trevorbc said:
ifallalot said:
Makes perfect sense.

One values what is theirs over what is not

Besides that, the idea of putting America first is a simple market transaction. If I have to have money taken from me, it should be going back to me or my group, not some shithole
You understand history enough to know what happens when there is extreme social inequality. Ready to try it again?
There is virtually zero social inequality today when compared to any other time or any other place in history

Step off the ledge
A white man living in OC, who haven't experienced even the slightest hardship in life, claims that inequality doesn't exist.

:roflmao:

Over and over again, same dumb sh!t.
Wymyns are equal enough.
Trans people and gays want "special treatment".
Racism doesn't exist.

Emotionally retarded Proud Boi scum.
You so assured about what you know about me. Its cute

I see you're back to using the Cosmo terms!
Why don't you set the record straight.

What hardship have you endured in your life?

Are you not white?

Have you experienced discrimination?

Please explain in detail. Thanks.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I've explained many times, but why waste the typing when you know more about me than I do?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You cannot create equity or equality of outcome
no, but you can get rid of "codified inequality"

Special protections don't stop racism or bias; they create resentment and different kinds of inequality.
no, but they make impotent the ability of the individual's racism and bias from being
wielded against another citizen.

if laws that directly address demonstrable failures of the system to protect the rights
of individuals foments resentment, that is an unfortunate side effect of measures which
do comparably far greater good.

should we have an Equal Rights Act and a 14th amendment or not?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
afoaf said:
laws that treat all people equally didn't work

so we had to codify certain protections

it's not complicated

there is still plenty of inequity and bias and it's not a result of
incompatible cultures or genetic predispositions per GD; it
seems a uniquely American institution when you look at income
inequality and criminality in other developed nations.
Hence your need to codify disparate treatment as an attempt to get the equitable outcome. You're now just half a step away from telling us that the ideals of a meritocracy are inherently racist and the result of the Patriarchy.
I keep waiting for someone to give us examples of how the laws codify disparate treatment. Give me some help.

Itriggeralot

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 16, 2015
Coney Island
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
I've explained many times, but why waste the typing when you know more about me than I do?
When did do explain the hardships and discrimination you endured?
He was "forced" to call a transgender person by their preferred pronoun. I can't think of anything worse then that :cussing:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
StuAzole said:
GDaddy said:
afoaf said:

it's not complicated

Hence your need to codify disparate treatment as an attempt to get the equitable outcome. You're now just half a step away from telling us that the ideals of a meritocracy are inherently racist and the result of the Patriarchy.
I keep waiting for someone to give us examples of how the laws codify disparate treatment. Give me some help.
Why would you even ask that question like that?

Affirmative action is disparate treatment. Quotas for hiring are an example of disparate treatment. Preferences given to minority business owners are disparate treatment. The courts being biased against men in divorce and custody actions - to the extent that still occurs - is disparate treatment.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
StuAzole said:
GDaddy said:
afoaf said:

it's not complicated

Affirmative action is disparate treatment. Quotas for hiring are an example of disparate treatment. Preferences given to minority business owners are disparate treatment. The courts being biased against men in divorce and custody actions - to the extent that still occurs - is disparate treatment.
Lulz.

The word disparate means completely different. The legal term "disparate treatment" means treatment of an individual that is less favorable than treatment of others, for a discriminatory purpose.

I'm going to need you to expand on your examples, because they're too general to deal with as is.

Start with current racial quotas. Where are those used today?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You want to help poor people because that is a huge talent pool that the society doesn't draw from if you don't help them out.

I got a couple poor non white kids getting scholarships at my school and they are so fvcking smart.

Harvard is not that great.

Throwing some mexicans in there is not that big of a deal and keeping some Asians out isn't either.

You can go to a shitty college and just train as hard as fvck and be fine.

That will get you into a decent grad school.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Autoprax said:
You want to help poor people because that is a huge talent pool that the society doesn't draw from if you don't help them out.

I got a couple poor non white kids getting scholarships at my school and they are so fvcking smart.

Harvard is not that great.

Throwing some mexicans in there is not that big of a deal and keeping some Asians out isn't either.

You can go to a shitty college and just train as hard as fvck and be fine.

That will get you into a decent grad school.
It's better to help a disadvantaged minority kid achieve than a trust fundie with sh!t grades but parents who donated to the school.

Funny how none of the people against affirmative action never raise a peep about the legacy admittees or people who paid their way in. :socrazy:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
StuAzole said:
GDaddy said:
StuAzole said:
GDaddy said:
afoaf said:

it's not complicated

Lulz.

The word disparate means completely different. The legal term "disparate treatment" means treatment of an individual that is less favorable than treatment of others, for a discriminatory purpose.

I'm going to need you to expand on your examples, because they're too general to deal with as is.

Start with current racial quotas. Where are those used today?
Colleges

And there are now gender quotas for publicly traded board members in CA

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
should we have an Equal Rights Act and a 14th amendment or not?
We don't have an equal rights act

Your 14th Amendment question isn't a good one since most of the programs you're advocating for violate it when read upon face value. The 14A has been a great tool for the SCOTUS to legislate from the bench.

(I missed that post the first time around)

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
More women are enrolling and graduating from universities than men. And those numbers dwarf the nepotism and monetary favoritism the high status colleges have used in their admissions programs. Does that mean it's time to boot some of the women in search of the equitable outcome for the men?

No. Of course not. If the women are making those choices and are earning those benefits for themselves then they fully deserve those benefits; and fck the male slackers who can't or won't keep up.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
GDaddy said:
More women are enrolling and graduating from universities than men. Does that mean it's time to boot some of the women in search of the equitable outcome for the men?

No. Of course not. If the women are making those choices and are earning those benefits for themselves then they fully deserve those benefits; and fck the male slackers who can't or won't keep up.
What are the application rates?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ifallalot said:
Colleges

Two thoughts.

First, show me one university that uses a quota system for admissions today.

Second, explain how requiring public companies to have one female board member is disparate treatment, understanding that those words mean something specific. If a board has 10 members and one spot must be reserved for a woman, are men now looked at less favorably as a whole and is that view related to a discriminatory purpose?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
StuAzole said:
ifallalot said:
Colleges

Two thoughts.

First, show me one university that uses a quota system for admissions today.

Second, explain how requiring public companies to have one female board member is disparate treatment, understanding that those words mean something specific. If a board has 10 members and one spot must be reserved for a woman, are men now looked at less favorably as a whole and is that view related to a discriminatory purpose?
Maybe the men needed some oversight so they didn't spend all day getting drunk at the titty bar. :monkey:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If what you're referring to are the lawful set asides for "protected classes" that in itself is "different and not equal" on it's face. All that means is that the "different treatment" is systemic. It doesn't mean it's equal treatment.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
More women are enrolling and graduating from universities than men. And those numbers dwarf the nepotism and monetary favoritism the high status colleges have used in their admissions programs. Does that mean it's time to boot some of the women in search of the equitable outcome for the men?

Is that really the analogy you want to make? One that suggests women and minorities were, until recently, just slackers who chose not to go to grad school?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
If what you're referring to are the lawful set asides for "protected classes" that in itself is "different and not equal" on it's face. All that means is that the "different treatment" is systemic. It doesn't mean it's equal treatment.
It was a simple question - show me a single university that uses a quota system today.