Trumby tells governors to classify houses of worship as essential. States rights?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Just happened 30 seconds ago.

1. States rights?

2. Is worship "essential"?

3. Could the virtue signaling get any more virtue-signally?

4. Says he's going to override the governors. Doesn't say how though.

Reactions: $kully

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I think it's a stupid move on Trump's part. He should continue his cheerleading for the importance of these institutions to their followers and the other economic and social priorities, and then just step back and let those governors who are so inclined function the face of authority on these lockdowns.

You just about can't go wrong by betting on human nature.

Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I think it's a stupid move on Trump's part. He should continue his cheerleading for the importance of these institutions to their followers and the other economic and social priorities, and then just step back and let those governors who are so inclined function the face of authority on these lockdowns.

You just about can't go wrong by betting on human nature.
Yes, I agree, that would be the smarter move.

Going down the road of dictatorship would set a dangerous precedent.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yes, I agree, that would be the smarter move.

Going down the road of dictatorship would set a dangerous precedent.
A Trump who was a lot less impulsive in general and a lot less careless with his speaking in particular would pose a big problem for his opposition.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Apparently the justice department are getting frisky on this issue, they issued a strongly worded letter to The Supreme Leader of the Western States Pact on account of houses of worship not being included into Stage 2 of The Reopening

The Supreme Leader's response is essentially to tell them thanks for your feedback

""I have deep faith and devotion to our churches, I grew up in the church and went to a Jesuit university and I have deep reverence for congregants and parishioners that want to reconnect with their community and to their faith and be able to practice accordingly," Newsom said. "We're just a few weeks away from meaningful modifications that will allow just that to happen."

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why wouldn't they? Unless you've been living under a rock you know what the risks are by now.
Exactly.

The risks are high in large group settings (see the church outbreaks in Seattle, South Korea, etc.)

The risks are high for the elderly (more likely to attend church)

The risks are high for the obese (churchgoers are more likely to be obese)

In all, churches are high risk settings.

Reactions: CutnSnip

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I think you're misunderstanding my comment. What I'm saying is that I wish Trump pursued his vendetta more effectively and with fewer unforced errors.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Exactly.

The risks are high in large group settings (see the church outbreaks in Seattle, South Korea, etc.)

The risks are high for the elderly (more likely to attend church)

The risks are high for the obese (churchgoers are more likely to be obese)

In all, churches are high risk settings.
I'm betting we're going to wear masks and meet outside. Personally, I think the social distancing requirement goes away if people are wearing masks. Maybe we should bring back bowing like Europeans used to do in the 18th century and earlier and Asians and Germans still do.