True Ames R. Lovelace Keel vs. Piggyback

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Duffy how much you do weigh?

I've ridden the piggybacks a few times now. I dig 'em. They're definitely loose and I could see them working well in a twin+trailer scenario.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Aruka said:
Duffy how much you do weigh?

I've ridden the piggybacks a few times now. I dig 'em. They're definitely loose and I could see them working well in a twin+trailer scenario.
185ish.

I got them for a twin fin fish and they were just too loose. They worked ok in waist high waves but in good waves it reminded me why quads and thrusters got so popular. So I traded them to Manbearpig for a set of WTCs (which I use for quad fronts).

The surf I had with the trailer was only a couple of waves but it was enough to grab them.

I’m going to try them in a quad Wizard Sleeve with nubsters for the rears.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Gave the Piggybacks a go as a twin in my CI h5ive in chest high waves with some
shape. Pretty squirrel dropping in and laying into the bottom turn. Given the width
of that tail I shoulda tossed in a trailer but opted to commit to just two out of curiousity.
Pretty fun once I could get the fins on the open face. Lots of drive and ample pivot for
tighter shreds.

Next Piggyback experience will entail riding them in my stretch 2win.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Sounds like you have some coming to you, but if they don't work out you might want to give the CC keels a look also. They are my favorite from trying a long list of twin fin sets. They have worked really well in a few different boards.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I like the CC keels and the Piggybacks both as high-performance hybrid keels.

I tried the CCs in my Lovelace wills fish and it didn't quite feel right so I switched to the Piggybacks and it lit up. I don't know that would be the case in every fish I've ever owned.

In this case, the Piggybacks had more drive and were more maneuverable at the same time. This is the only fish I have atm so I can't comment on the Piggybacks generally

Reactions: j_mac and trifish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I like the CC keels and the Piggybacks both as high-performance hybrid keels.

I tried the CCs in my Lovelace wills fish and it didn't quite feel right so I switched to the Piggybacks and it lit up. I don't know that would be the case in every fish I've ever owned.

In this case, the Piggybacks had more drive and were more maneuverable at the same time. This is the only fish I have atm so I can't comment on the Piggybacks generally
Is the wills fish designed for piggybacks? Would make sense

Reactions: j_mac

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think I remember reading a post from him that said he made them originally for the toe side on asym boards but they ended up working well in symmetrical setups also.

Jul 18, 2018
I think so, but I did see something somewhere where Ryan suggested that people bigger than Will might be happier with a bigger fin.
The piggybacks felt pretty good to me in shoulder high+ surf but I could use some more drive in smaller waves.
I'm a bit bigger than Will so am considering the Britt Merrick Twins but have on other boards recently so haven't gotten around to it.
Anybody have any experience with the BMT's?

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
there's a thread on the BMT's....I personally don't like them so far...they look and feel a bit big for me...I liked the piggybacks or even the NVS album uprights that I was running before

Reactions: j_mac and bvendley

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I think so, but I did see something somewhere where Ryan suggested that people bigger than Will might be happier with a bigger fin.
The piggybacks felt pretty good to me in shoulder high+ surf but I could use some more drive in smaller waves.
I'm a bit bigger than Will so am considering the Britt Merrick Twins but have on other boards recently so haven't gotten around to it.
I had a similar experience, started with the piggybacks in the Will's fish. Nothing bad, but out of a whim I installed the Machado twins, and instantly the drive and speed was there. I have used these in small waves and up to shoulder high waves with no issue.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Have not used the Lovelace keel but I have used the Piggybacks on my fish.

Used them once in good fast point surf and felt that they too squirrelly for my tastes. Want to try them backside.

Also I went from the Hobie keel to the Piggyback and then to the CI keels. The CI keels are in between the two (size wise) so maybe the Hobie to Piggyback was too drastic a change (or the wrong for the waves).

I think they will work better in a board I have on order as a 2 plus trailer setup, otherwise I’d send them to you....
Tried the Piggybacks in my 6'4" twinzer and came away with the same impression.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
When it's smaller and I want to let the board pivot more I found a set of Asher Pacey 5.59" twins (they come with a trailer in the fin set) worked well in the board pictured in my post above. Similar outline to the BMT's but smaller/less surface area. There's a slightly larger set which is 5.79" (if memory serves). They are from Shapers Aust.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hard to say. I kind of doubt it otherwise they would probably say, highly recommend you use it with the piggybacks. I do think that fin profile and others like it just happen to compliment that shape and what it was intended to do.

Reactions: bvendley

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Those look sick. Is that the Ono template?
Fins thst come with the FM model. High dollar custom carbons available though.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Update ... had originally tried the Piggybacks in my 6'4" twinzer with the RFC twinzer canards and thought they felt a little squirrely. Recently - have been running the board without the canards ... as a straight twin with the Future ENs. Decided to give the Piggybacks another try - also as a straight twin without the twinzer canards. Chest high surf - they felt much different in the board by themselves ... enough drive but looser than the ENs. Also - seemed to give the board a little more glide and felt easier catching waves. New swell coming this week ... looking to give them a go in HH-OH surf as well as a go in my 6'10" twin.

Reactions: Aruka and urchined