True Ames R. Lovelace Keel vs. Piggyback

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Want a new set of twins for my DVS and thinking between these two. She feels a bit stiff on the face of the wave with the DVS Shapers twins. Kind of leaning toward the Pigs as they are a little more drastically different.

What say yee errb?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Have not ridden the Lovelace keels, but have ridden my Stretch 2win fish extensively with traditional keels (Futures k2) and the Lovelace Piggybacks.

Great mix (as advertised) of a keel + more upright outline: still have that fishy down the line feeling, but a bit more pivot and ability to do a tighter turn. Most notably for me (surfing beachbreak) is that the piggybacks feel WAY better backside than the traditional keel.

Sold the traditional keels, have kept the piggybacks in the board since then.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Have not used the Lovelace keel but I have used the Piggybacks on my fish.

Used them once in good fast point surf and felt that they too squirrelly for my tastes. Want to try them backside.

Also I went from the Hobie keel to the Piggyback and then to the CI keels. The CI keels are in between the two (size wise) so maybe the Hobie to Piggyback was too drastic a change (or the wrong for the waves).

I think they will work better in a board I have on order as a 2 plus trailer setup, otherwise I’d send them to you....

Reactions: flyinraptr

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
If you end up not liking them I'll take them off your hands. Trade for a different set of fins or cash.

What kind of twin did you try them in?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
manbearpig said:
If you end up not liking them I'll take them off your hands. Trade for a different set of fins or cash.

What kind of twin did you try them in?
A CI skinny Fish (not the new one).

What fins do you want to get rid of?

Futures only....

Dorado

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 25, 2007
Lovelace piggybacks , decent amount of drive and nice and loose fit doing snaps and reos. Not and stiff and fast on the high line like a keel . Good for surfing a narrower twin keel or HP TWIN .nice blended fin

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
If you can get a hold of an old school set of McCallum twins- ugly black and gold not the new purple ones, they are flat foiled inside and the best semi keel hybrid fin I have Ever used
I've had them in a Gary McNeill RTT, a 6'7 hollow wooden fish, and a traditional fish and they are just Magic.
Ugly as sin, but fast, mad rad hold, killer release, just worth their weight in Gold. Even that gold.

http://buchholz-surfboards.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/captain_mccallum_2.jpg

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The mccallums look interesting but I think will be too much fin. Current fins aren’t that far off and when on face of wave I want more release. Works great in the barrel though.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm tempted to get a set of these piggyback twins for my Stamps banjo fish. Board goes great with every fin set I've tried but definitely preferring the TA twins over the different keel sets I've tried for the added pivot in beachbreak conditions. Thinking the piggyback's would be a nice middle ground. Anything else I should be looking at?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I got a set of the Piggy's. Used them yesterday for the first time. Felt great in my Banjo fish in waist high peelers. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping, just right in between an upright twin and a keel. More drive than a strait MR twin style fin but not quite the point-and-shoot feel of a keel. Quick rail to rail transitions and good hold through turns. Looking forward to trying them in a little bigger surf.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
manbearpig said:
Awesome.

Unfortunately I still haven’t used mine. But your review is what I was hoping they’d be.
You’re going to love this...

Was surfing my new CI Pod in some so so beach break, ran into a guy I know as I was about to leave.

He knows I have keel fish and asked me If I’d interested in some keels he doesn’t want anymore.

Piggybacks.

So for kicks I stuck ‘em in the pod with a little trailer, one of these...

https://www.trueames.com/collections/center-fins-trailer-1/products/2-5-trailer-single-future-base?variant=37973369743

...and worked really well.

Soooooo......

I bought the Piggybacks.

:foreheadslap: