Trocones/La Saladita/El Cardon

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009

This summer, or possibly next depending on how things work out I am planning a trip to the trocones/la saladita area. I am looking for a nice long left point where the wife can also take surfing lessons. We could stay at Trocones and surf the left point there and also go to la saladita which is supposed to be 20 minutes away. I am a mediocre surfer, so a long left point wave is what I seek. La Saladita has been described as a reverse Malibu so it would certainly fit the bill, and Trocones is supposed to be fun too, although not as long. The resort we would probably stay at is in Trocones and has surf guides, so we could surf both the left at Trocones and go to La Saladita. I would also be open to suggestions regarding lodging.

What I am wondering about is consistency. That area of Mexico should get consistent swell in the summer, but how much does it take to get La Saladita to break? I don't want a place that needs a monster swell, I want somewhere where I can at least count on chest/shoulder high waves. The other possible problem is power. I have found youtube of La Saladita and most of it is longboarding. I surf a fish almost exclusively, so I can deal with slightly soft waves, but I don't want to surf waist high stuff where a longboard is the only option. Some of the videos make it look fun, but the amount of waist high longboard surf scares me, even though I would be on a fish. I think the wave would be fun at at least chest high, but I want to know if it gets consistent enough swell for me to expect that. If it requires a monster swell to get head high I will look elsewhere. Trocones point looks fun, although not as long, but how consistent is that? I have heard both places are pretty consistent in the summer, but it would be nice if someone has some firsthand experience.

I have seen great footage of El Cardon, but I have heard bad things. Supposedly they are trying to kick the locals out of the water which is not cool. I would love to surf a great left point with warm water and few people out but that behavior is just wrong, so I don't think I can give them my business, no matter how good the youtube footage is.

So does anyone have any info? How about some other suggestions? I am looking for a warm water left point that is not too heavy but consistent in the summer. I want to be able to pump down the line, hit the lip occasionally, do a cut back and have it keep lining up. Like I said a reverse Malibu or head high reverse Rincon would be ideal, I don't need a freight train Indo reef pass. There has to be a reasonably nice resort with surfing lessons/surf guide as the wife will be with me and I am not looking to rent a car. I have been to Jaco and we hoped to get Boca Barranca but it is too fickle, so I want consistency. Pavones is way too crowded so I don't want to go there.

Has anyone been to this region?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
You'll need a rental car for that area. Saladita is perfectly rideable on a fish if it's big - typically it's a longboard only wave. Troncones breaks shallow to deep and is a below average wave most of the time.

mapache

Phil Edwards status
Nov 27, 2012
subtropical jungles
troncones point is sh!t until about 3xoh. there are fun beach breaks in the area but you will get your ass handed to you on a fish.

saladita is a long mushball way too crowded for what it is. and the beach is fuking gross in the summer.

cardon looks fun but i wouldn't give those guys a fuken penny of my money, total scumbags.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the beta. That is what I was worried about, I will have to really give this some thought.

It is a real pity about cardon. I absolutely cannot give them my money based on what they are doing. It is a shame because that wave looks really fun on youtube.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
there are other options for cardon but it sounds like saladita fits your bill.

Jan 24, 2007
Vail, CO
Visit site
I was at Salidita this past week. surfline was showing 1-2' and 2-3'. It was waist high, with chest to head sets. 50ppl in the water, but still plenty of rides to be had.

Dec 27, 2015
I've been to Saladita four times, always in February. It's usually waist-chest with head sets. Very long and clean in the mornings. Mushy in the afternoons. We usually stay in Troncones, drive up to surf. It's a great logging wave. I agree the beach itself is not the greatest.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Went on trip in mid May several years ago. For me pretty epic, stayed in Ixtapa and drove a POS VW up in the mornings. Surfed both Troncones and Saladita. According to those in the line up Toncones was all time(during my trip) big,somewhat scetchy take off with a fat mushy shoulder. Saladita was classic long reeling point. Crowded yes, but stretched out over a very long point with about 6-8 of us "competent" at the top. I'd call it 5-8' with some bigger ones, just like Malibu but a left. Great time! Blew out early and I'd head back to the pool. My .02

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
my experience was that Troncones was a place to sort of sneak in a wave and enjoy the water view.
The beach breaks there were pretty fun, like most of Costa Rica
Saladita was a reverse Malibu and the other breaks north of there were pretty good. Ranchero like a reverse trestles.

Punchier stuff close by Zihuatenejo

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the responses. This is giving me a lot to think about. I finally found some footage of La Saladita where it looked fun on something other than a log.