Trip Through Spain

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I usually end up sharing images from my annual surf trip. Just got back from two weeks in Spain. From Sopelana to Ferrol and back. Surfing and site seeing the whole way. BEAUTIFUL country, some epic set ups. Waves were mostly average with a few solid days mixed in toward the end. Did get a lesser known rivermouth wave absolutely on fire with no one out-only a few people (no photos). More images in link in my signature.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
rts265 said:
awesome. on my to do list. how is your spanish?
En una feria ganadera alla en Galicia, en un sorteo, un par de gallegos, viejos amigos, les regalan a un cerdo a cada uno.
- Oiga compadre....esto si que es un problema...como sidtinguimos cual cerdito es suyo y cual es mio...?
- pues tengo una idea compadre..- entonces va y le hac u pequeño corte en la oreja - se da cuenta compadre?...este que tiene un cortecito en la oreja es mio y el sano es el suyo.
Dejan a los cerdos en un corral hasta que sea la hora de llevarselos a sus respectivas granjas, pero en el chiquero, los cerdos se pelean y el que tiene un corte en la oreja muerde la oreja del otro produciendole un corte parecido al del otro. los 2 gallegos se miranban confundidos otra vez:
- y ahora....que hacemos compadre?
- pues...tengo otra idea compadre...-entonces el gallego se acerca a uno de los cerdos y le corta la cola...
- este sin cola para mi y el otro para usted compadre...-
Y asi, como fueron juntos en un solo camion a la feria, suben a los cerdos a la parte de atras del camion, ellos suben adelante y se van, pero en el camino los cerdos vuelven a pelearse y el que no tiene cola le arranca la cola al sano, cuando llegan a su destino los gallegos no tenian corazon para cortarles otra parte a los pobres cerdos, entonces se les ocurre la solucion mas obvia.....
-Ahora que hacemos compadre?

-sabe que compadre....no nos hagamos problemas....el macho para usted y la hembra para mi....

For Cocque

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
rts265 said:
Pretty bad haha. But passable to get around.

the janitor said:
looks like a great trip!

How rare is it to spot an ibex there?

Did you hit the Guggenheim?
Not sure how rare it is to see the Ibex. Funny thing was I wanted to devote some time to see one but thought I’d have to hike into a mountainous area inland. There was about 5 of them right on the coast on the roadside.

Yeah I made it to the Guggenheim my second day as it was blown out. Great suggestion :cheers:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Thanks for sharing! Really good travelogue and stoked you had a good trip. Spain is one of our favorite countries to visit and you really captured the stoke. John

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
rts265 said:
Not Spanish. Basque.

Eskeri gasko.

I spent time there decades ago but the waves were small...surfed Mundaka but it was like a beach break.

Really generous people (we were hitch hiking a lot).

Reactions: Watervalley

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I had to read very slowly Ogros post to figure out wtf it was about. Now you tell me Basque.

My name and how I look I get zero sympathy for not speaking the language...I've been chastised at customs once, LOL...

Asking to get a feel of how it would be traveling around there.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m pretty bad and really didn’t have an issue. I was traveling alone. I know some basics but that’s about it; got around, ordered food, etc. Most people picked up on it pretty quick that I didn’t know much. Crazy friendly people.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks manbearpig - it will be a family trip if i ever do it

ElOgro said:
Gallegos are from Galacia. They talk real fast and slurred.
:roflmao: I went to brazil with my cousins who are fluent in spanish and told them we'd be fine....we couldn't understand a damned word - and no one slowed down their speech for us, they thought we were brazilian.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
The Basque Country is epic. Pinxtos, cheap wine and beer, reasonably priced hotels. And surf.

Not the most epic surf you will find, but it can get plenty good.

Oct 11, 2019
Amazing pics! Me and my mates planning a one week surf trip to Spain in Dec. I’ll be looking for some waves trough the beautiful beaches of Asturias/Cantabria. The whole coast is a series of cliffs giving way to scallop-shaped sand or pebble beaches. To catch the best waves, you need to travel here in the fall, winter, and spring, which happen to fall in the cheaper off-peak season. There are enough surf spots in Asturias that you can find your own and avoid the localism at the more famous places, like Rodiles and Tapia de Casariego. So I just booked my trip with transfer from Asturias Airport. Can`t wait! You should also check out Santander or, if you want waves without using a car, a little town called Somo. There is quite a bit of surfing vibes with some surf schools and some bars and a long beach with less people as in the Basque country and still picks up good waves in summer. You can also take the ferry to Santander from there for some night life.

Last edited: