Trimalleolar Fracture

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
It took me longer than I thought to balance on the bad foot.

Make sure when you walk, you walk normally. It's natural to favor your hurt foot, but that is going to create a bunch of other issues and prolong your recovery. I've been back on my feet for months now and still have to remind myself to walk normal.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
Caught a few waves on the 6'8" single fin this morning. It was tiny (~knee high) out there and it felt a bit weird, but I was able to ride a few. Not smooth, but no pain. Supination of the ankle is at ~80%.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Spinktopus said:
Caught a few waves on the 6'8" single fin this morning. It was tiny (~knee high) out there and it felt a bit weird, but I was able to ride a few. Not smooth, but no pain. Supination of the ankle is at ~80%.
NICE! I'll hit Jacksonville Beach in a few weeks for some water time.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
So, it's been 10 months since my break & surgery. I'm surfing again regularly but I continue to wear an ankle brace when doing so. I continue to have stiffness around my ankle especially after prolonged periods of inactivity. My dorsal flexion is at ~80%, which sometimes affects surfing, but at least I'm surfing. I'm hoping, that this too will improve with time.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
So, I'm 17 months out and surfing without a brace. I do ROM exercises several time s a day but have continued stiffness around the ankle. I've been spinning without any issue, but I haven't tried running. My ankle is stiff after prolonged periods of inactivity. I'm wondering if this is as good as things get? Also, I get soreness when there's high humidity. Should I be doing anything else to help me get better? Or is this my new "normal"?

Reactions: SurfDoc

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Its probably the new normal.

I can run ok if I have some high-stability shoes. Its always a little bit sore or stiff but I deal with it.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Spinktopus said:
So, I'm 17 months out and surfing without a brace. I do ROM exercises several time s a day but have continued stiffness around the ankle. I've been spinning without any issue, but I haven't tried running. My ankle is stiff after prolonged periods of inactivity. I'm wondering if this is as good as things get? Also, I get soreness when there's high humidity. Should I be doing anything else to help me get better? Or is this my new "normal"?
Stocked that you can surf without a brace, Spink.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
4+ years later, I remembered I posted on here an re-read. I can pretty much do a lot of activities, except running. I frequently bike and do yoga. I still get soreness when there's high humidity or a drop in the barometric pressure. No real pain when I surf, which is great!!

Thanks @VonMeister @Ifallalot @VaB & @SurfDoc. Your words and advice helped me during challenging times.