Travis Logie puts on a clinic with his STAMPS

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I stand corrected. Can I get a small win, though, in stating that it was at least very selectively edited? Showed knee high nothings at first, then totally surfable waves once Travis got out there. Please? :)
his ability to surf that f'd up sand bar (breaks like high tide at low tide ever since the giant swells came through) is impressive, but you're partially right. He's on waves that are all bigger than the ones they showed from the beach and the footage of him surfing is slightly sped up. Also how are there not a million people paddling through his waves at porto when he's riding them?

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I say long period swell with some push and a little cloudy conditions on the waves he's riding and short period swell with no push on a sunny day for the waves in the beginning. Different days for sure.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
How are you guys not seeing the absolute dog sh!t quality of the waves he's surfing? Lumpy, sectiony, weak garbage. Don't let the speed he's generating fool you, think about how you'd approach these.

Guaranteed you're going to look more like the guy at 3:25. (Me too.)

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm not talking about his style.

I'm talking about his use of the wave to generate speed and ability to thread turns
I think his style is fine... You cant get that steezy on waves like that, anymore than you can throw style on a dirt bike or snowboard jumping 10 feet.

His surfing here could be described as "ripping the bag out of small waves". :geek:

• Haha

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Whoever makes those videos does do some tricky stuff tho, I was watching one from a couple weeks ago where guys were clearly doing step offs, and they edited out all the jet ski footage and were real careful not to show the paddle or take off, then kept talking about how guys were nuts for paddling. Wouldn't put it past em to do some weird sh1t for no good reason.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How are you guys not seeing the absolute dog sh!t quality of the waves he's surfing? Lumpy, sectiony, weak garbage. Don't let the speed he's generating fool you, think about how you'd approach these.

Sorry coming from Florida that looks pretty fun to me. My PJHP would eat that alive. IMHO Porto's punch is waaaay underrated and the instant Porto's not completely closing out it's a workable wave.

I will say that looks like it could easily be the same day to me. Recent winter day after the NW, sandbars are n00ked, late morning flood with glass = only the largest waves are "breaking" and as the tide gets off it and the wind gets on it, we see what we see?

Plenty of spots in Florida could look the same. Barely capping at dead high tide, a mid-tide-ish sweet spot, potentially drained-looking at dead low?

There is/was a Shred Show episode about Playa Colorado in Nicaragua and he shows like a thigh high lump of water barely capping and says this is what it looks like on a good day when it's dead high tide.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Whoever makes those videos does do some tricky stuff tho, I was watching one from a couple weeks ago where guys were clearly doing step offs, and they edited out all the jet ski footage and were real careful not to show the paddle or take off, then kept talking about how guys were nuts for paddling. Wouldn't put it past em to do some weird sh1t for no good reason.
There is something weird going on. As said, where is the crowd?nobody surfs donklandia without people at least around.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm telling yall, he's making it look a lot more fun than it is.

I don't love to say this, but again, casa is right.
IMHO both things are true. When you live in Florida, not that fun El Porto is pretty fun.

There is something weird going on. As said, where is the crowd?nobody surfs donklandia without people at least around.
The wind is starting to get on it and in my (admittedly limited) experience, the crowd in SoCal thins out rapidly if the wind isn't some flavor of perfect. Plus I was pretty sure someone on here from the South Bay was saying the sand moved around and they made it sound like there's a new honey hole.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm telling yall, he's making it look a lot more fun than it is.
Yes.

Frustration to the max.

Correct.

If you don't think about your own approach you're not going to see how bad the waves are and what's going on from a surfing perspective.

Sure his style is crap but the complexity of his ability to find the parts of the wave to generate speed while throwing in tricks and linking it all together is humbling.

I watch stuff like this and it really drives home how bad I suck.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
His ability to carve the correct radius turn to keep speed, and especially to rebound/redirect on a variety of nuanced section types is impressive.

I'd be approaching that surf with joy because it looks pretty fun and the average Florida shortboarder is going to have fun because there's speed and sections on offer. Yes we'd be bogging sections or four pumping. No, that surf does not look remotely frustrating in any way, shape or form.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
View attachment 147990

Not easy when your arms are longer than what Travis is head to toes, but that soundtrack will have you in the fetal position in a quick minute.
Do short stubby surfers have surf privilege when every wave at minimum is at least (their) chest high? I believe so. Which is why I take my reparations every now and then from the groms.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Waves are shoulder high for this du.

Also, here's Burch surfing WAY better in similar waves:

Those waves and conditions don't look similar at all to me. I once lived in LA and surfed the south bay for several years, and I'm from leucadia and now live in Cardiff. I'm super familiar with similar conditions in each area, and I would much rather surf the waves in the Burch video. Looks way more fun.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Burch video looks easier to stay on a given line and fewer surprises. Logie video has a little bit of bumpy wobble to it. I expect a board like Burch's might be prone to snagging snout rail in onshore Potty.