Travis Logie puts on a clinic with his STAMPS

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I think his style is fine... You cant get that steezy on waves like that, anymore than you can throw style on a dirt bike or snowboard jumping 10 feet.

His surfing here could be described as "ripping the bag out of small waves". :geek:
If jerking around like you are in the throes of an epileptic fit in turns falls within your definition of good style then ok.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I'd be approaching that surf with joy because it looks pretty fun and the average Florida shortboarder is going to have fun because there's speed and sections on offer. Yes we'd be bogging sections or four pumping. No, that surf does not look remotely frustrating in any way, shape or form.

Perhaps I am underestimating the quality of surf in FL. Is it really that much worse than NJ? Because I've had a lot better waves on average days in gromsdadville than what I'm seeing on this video.

Logie has a supernatural ability to make dogshit surf look epic. I know this because I've been in the water with him more than a few times around these parts.

Casa knows - there is no speed on offer for anybody of average surfing ability in the surf pictured, and the conditions are what I would consider mega frustrating. I was out there several similar days, maybe even this exact day. Looked doable on the right sets but was slooooooow bog city.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
There can be good days in Florida but it doesn't have NJ winter waves or always a "swelly" push that NJ seems to have more of on smaller days. FL surfers will surf on anything (maybe more than anywhere in the world) and a bunch of spots break just like whats in the video. There is a good chance you'd see some random FL dudes surfing waves like Logie , not even former pros. Those are the waves they get good on. Here's a worse day. A good type of day to get bit as the water warms. In better waves Logie would have the edge for sure.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa knows - there is no speed on offer for anybody of average surfing ability in the surf pictured, and the conditions are what I would consider mega frustrating. I was out there several similar days, maybe even this exact day. Looked doable on the right sets but was slooooooow bog city.
Yes.

You pull up and see a guy like this ripping, hop in the water, and end up feeling dejected as the pro/ex pro down the beach (oh no, it's -insert pro surfer name here-:foreheadslap: ) tears it to shreds while you're bungling every opportunity for turn.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
There can be good days in Florida but it doesn't have NJ winter waves or always a "swelly" push that NJ seems to have more of on smaller days. FL surfers will surf on anything (maybe more than anywhere in the world) and a bunch of spots break just like whats in the video. There is a good chance you'd see some random FL dudes surfing waves like Logie , not even former pros. Those are the waves they get good on. Here's a worse day. A good type of day to get bit as the water warms. In better waves Logie would have the edge for sure.
This. There’s tons of guys here that can surf smaller, shittier waves just as good. It’s what we grew up on. You duus that surf outside of FL are just spoiled :p

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Perhaps I am underestimating the quality of surf in FL. Is it really that much worse than NJ? Because I've had a lot better waves on average days in gromsdadville than what I'm seeing on this video.

Logie has a supernatural ability to make dogshit surf look epic. I know this because I've been in the water with him more than a few times around these parts.

I was 8 when I left New Jersey, so I can't really say how much better or worse Florida is than NJ. I can say it's hilariously worse than El Porto. A chest high wave at El Porto is moving towards the beach considerably faster than a chest high wave anywhere in Florida other than a couple inlet shoals and reefs out the back.

You should try what I surfed after work Thursday or Friday if you want to see frustrating bumpy unpredictable onshore dogshit.

And yes that is a good exhibit for The Stampy One.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The wind is starting to get on it and in my (admittedly limited) experience, the crowd in SoCal thins out rapidly if the wind isn't some flavor of perfect. Plus I was pretty sure someone on here from the South Bay was saying the sand moved around and they made it sound like there's a new honey hole.
I don't surf Porto because of the crowds (parking lot). I always say it's like Malibu without the perfect point break.

I can say the January swell ruined my go to spot a mile or two south of Porto. It's like it dug out a big hole, so now there's an outer bar that caps at low tide and backs off immediately. I can't connect to the inside even on a longboard. And at high tide the outer bar doesn't even break and the shorepound is unrideable. Sucks.

Luckily I've fpudn anpther stretch that has no outer bar and has been fun.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't surf Porto because of the crowds (parking lot). I always say it's like Malibu without the perfect point break.

I can say the January swell ruined my go to spot a mile or two south of Porto. It's like it dug out a big hole, so now there's an outer bar that caps at low tide and backs off immediately. I can't connect to the inside even on a longboard. And at high tide the outer bar doesn't even break and the shorepound is unrideable. Sucks.

Luckily I've fpudn anpther stretch that has no outer bar and has been fun.
I pack my fair share of closeouts at Potty when it's walled and when it's not, I have a blast. I've surfed it onshore a few times and was giddy with how fun it was. Once was a good storm/swell in Dec 2007, that Saturday it was trash rivers flowing down the gutters and open-faced peaks and bowls with juice. Nobody out. Caught murderable ones as fast as I could paddle back out. The afternoons the following week there was a thigh-waist left hand runner at low tide at like 36th-38th, with like 5 dudes up by 43rd or so, and I caught sooooo many workable ones on the round nose quad. Every little set, same thing. Hit sandbar + angled runout and peel along it. Once was the last day of a trip, me, a buddy, a couple sponsored local groms, fast+punchy chest-shoulder high with the onshore breaking it up enough to make it workable. We were drying off watching the sunset talking about how much fun we just had, and some guy driving through the lot is on his phone "....yeah I'm looking at it now, it fucking SUCKS...."

I've driven past Sunslop, Topanga, Leo, Malidoodoo, Clownty, etc. Maybe there are spots I don't know about, Zeroes or Latigo or whatever. Zuma made walled Porto look like Lowers every time I checked it. I surfed Clownty one (1) time. Never. The. Fuck. Again.

If I lived in North LA I'd be driving to Oxnard, South Bay, and HB a shitload. Local recreation for me would begin and end with bicycle climb/descent in those canyons. Those zoo'd points are a hard pass.