Travel within Costa Rica

Feb 18, 2005
I'm heading to Costa in early April. I am helping with a program in Pavones that asks travelers to bring useable laptops and digital cameras so they can be given to teachers and schools in the area. Due to that I need to head straight from San Jose to Pavones so I don't have to lug the laptop around my whole trip.

Herein lays my question: What is the best way to get from San Jose to Pavones? I have checked into a flight to Golfito but the only airline I could find that does this only has a Costa #. I don't want to rent a car since I am traveling solo. The best scenario would be a pick up at San Jose International but that may be asking to much. Any info or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
This information should help you. I've been to Pavones before (flew into San Jose) and its the only surf spot I in C.R. that I really want to go back to so I've thought a lot about what your contemplating.

San Jose to Pavones by car is approx. 6 hour (each way). The road is very bumpy towards the end and the cost of renting a 4x4 for the week isn't going to be worth it. Your definite option is to fly into Golfito. This airline is the one to take. I think you can check the schedules and prices from their site. If you plan on taking a board, they say no board bags over 7ft (last time I checked their site). Although I've never done this I believe you can find a tax from the airport to Pavones. Be sure to arrange the taxi *back* in advanced. I say book the flight and take the solo adventure. Pavones is a very isolated place and finding transportation out of there could be an issue. There is practically nothing around except for one road and the jungle.

I'm toying with going to Pavones this Summer and doing this same method of transportation.

Jun 1, 2004
I did the cheap trip to Southern West coast of Costa Rica by:

Taxi to bus station (during day light hours only) in San Jose.
Bus to San Isidro, just East (1 hour) of Dominical (great city by the way).
Bus to Dominical (where my base camp was for over a month).
Hire car or taxi down the wash board roads to Pavones.

If you have double/triple boardbag with you, make sure to speak good spanish to talk to bus driver and negotiate boardbag transportation. I had to put it in the bus walkway for two of the legs and people walked right over it. Seond pack your boardbag well for this purpose.

This was an interesting way to travel, but cheap and a great experience!