Travel recs - Vermont/Maine

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Woodcock season is in October in Maine. Seriously fun hunting with a pointer and a guide. Went a few times with my dad. Hiking through dense, coastal, second-growth forest, shooting tiny little game birds through the trees, is high quality father son bonding

Reactions: PJ and manbearpig

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Hunting is tough in Vermont. Stick to Maine.

my family has had a home in Vermont, Halifax/Jamaica & pico peak area, for 70+ years. Grew up skiing fast, crunchy conditions. There’s no such thing as “ice”.

any of the small towns on rte 100 can be fun. Long trail brewery is a fun novelty. Heady topper if you’re into that and they are running a batch. A few local bars can be a trip. Appalachian trial, any part. Okemo/Rutland/Stowe areas for the most luxurious Pampering New England can offer outside of Boston. my Wife loves Woodstock vt and she highly dislikes New England. Period.

have fun. Great time of year catching the end of fall foliage.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Isn’t Stowe quaint?
like, in a picture dictionary, for quaint, there’s a picture of stowe
Have fun iceman

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So far the mountain biking in Stowe and Burke has been sick! Heading towards Cutler, Acadia, and Portland the next few days, after a hike in the Whites tomorrow.
Franconia range is a good one above treeline east coast mountains are rad

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Maine is - like the license plate says - vacationland. Hunting fishing surfing skiing
hiking canoeing....tons to do.
:)

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
Another fan of Woodstock . We would rent for the season at Killington , to escape the crowds we would ski a local spot in Woodstock. Suicide Six , a micro run but the town is a must see .