Travel recs - Vermont/Maine

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Heading out yeast on Saturday, will be there for two weeks with the chica. Mountain biking, hiking, and camping on the docket, with some other drinking and exploratory extra-curriculars. Not sure I'll have a chance to surf but definitely some ocean time would be great for both of us. Looking for any and all recs for activities/food/camping/etc.

Obligatory thank-you-in-advance pic:

Reactions: PJ and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No advice but have fun! I've met a few surfers from Maine over the years and they've been super rad humans. I have a feeling I would enjoy it out there just based on that.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You’re not gonna find much surf in Vermont. But it’s a pretty great state. You’re a bit early for the fall foliage which can be spectacular and isn’t exclusively for the senior set.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I know it is in NH, but hike or drive up to the top of Mount Washington. Impressive terrain for east coast.

Reactions: Iceman

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If you get homesick for Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, there is always Old Orchard Beach and Palace Playland.

(I blame my Boston relatives for knowing about this and next to nothing else about Maine, other than Portland, Oregon, got its name from Portland, Maine.)

When you get back, be sure to brag with photos.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
A bit touristy, but Cabbage Island Clambake in Boothbay Harbor. I think they close for the season after this weekend, so maybe too late.
Mt. Washington is a great hike if the weather is good.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Lyme sucks balls for sure. Vermont is rad. Make sure you check out at least a few of the qunitisesstial Vermont towns like Stowe, Ludlow, Rutland, etc. Maine is rad too. Any of those classic harbor towns will be fun in early fall. bar harbor is right at Acadias front door, though that’s way up there. Camden is cool, even that town where LL Bean started,ogunquit, etc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The Orvis flag ship store and LL bean are cool stops.

there used to be a rad bowl in the attic of a pizza parlor.

hiking the whites is awesome, although I’ve only done the NH portions.

Portland is a cool ass city, incredible food. Probably the only city I’d be happy to live in. Fore street restaurant is one me and my lady always talk about.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Acadia is cool, but, I mean, it’s east coast, so try not to compare to anything west coast, and you should have a great time