Travel Medical Insurance for surf injuries overseas?

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Seen a couple gofundmes pop up from people surfing overseas and getting seriously hurt, I assuming leaving them with substantial medical bills. Any recommendations for reputable travel medical insurance for a situation like this? Or maybe you've had an experience like this before? Looking at possibly an Indo or C america trip next year.

Truth

Miki Dora status
Jul 18, 2002
check your insurance policy at home - most will cover - however, you will need to pay up front then they will reimburse you - kasier did that for my kids bills in indo

if you buy travel insurance read the fine print of what they cover - scooter accidents mostly not covered - and surfing sometimes not covered

2surf

Tom Curren status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
check your insurance policy at home - most will cover - however, you will need to pay up front then they will reimburse you - kasier did that for my kids bills in indo

if you buy travel insurance read the fine print of what they cover - scooter accidents mostly not covered - and surfing sometimes not covered
I used to sell that insurance. One of my best customers ownes a shed full of used surfboards. Never had a claim. The meat of the plan was the 50k life-flight benefit. You can buy it on line and the only restriction is war zones.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seen a couple gofundmes pop up from people surfing overseas and getting seriously hurt, I assuming leaving them with substantial medical bills. Any recommendations for reputable travel medical insurance for a situation like this? Or maybe you've had an experience like this before? Looking at possibly an Indo or C america trip next year.
The important thing is not whether you have health coverage.

The important aspect you don't want to miss (not to mention the root problem behind many of those GoBeggings) :

*IF* you have medical coverage outside the USA - is a medical transport flight covered? Is a critical care transport flight covered? And how much coverage?

The IRL numbers I've seen for these air ambulances aren't pretty. Think $50K -$200K.

Don't be stupid, buy the insurance, it's not that expensive. And look at the reviews before you buy: https://www.tinleg.com/

You don't want to join the ranks of people who did not do this and ended up hospitalized long term outside of their 1st world home country.

Reactions: hotCheetos