Travel help mid October- mid December

Mar 28, 2019
Hey everybody,

My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling somewhere from mid October - mid December but not sure exactly where to go. We are in the high intermediate range and looking for somewhere to challenge us and get better. Needs to be somewhere kinda close to the US (North Carolina) and preferences of warm water, consistency, budget friendly, no need to rent a car, and variety of spots. We are open to traveling to different areas during this time as long as its able to be done on a bus. Have been reading about Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Barbados, Puerto Rico (ruled out Panama b/c we were just there in the spring for ~3 months)

Thanks!!

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Yo, I think El Salvdor would fit the agenda. Las Floras provides great lodging and transport from San Salvador to hotel. Check out wavehunters.com, I went there in 2008 in March, great waves and was about to go this month (Oct.) but another trip came up so heading to Barbados.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Hey everybody,

My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling somewhere from mid October - mid December but not sure exactly where to go. We are in the high intermediate range and looking for somewhere to challenge us and get better. Needs to be somewhere kinda close to the US (North Carolina) and preferences of warm water, consistency, budget friendly, no need to rent a car, and variety of spots. We are open to traveling to different areas during this time as long as its able to be done on a bus. Have been reading about Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Barbados, Puerto Rico (ruled out Panama b/c we were just there in the spring for ~3 months)

Thanks!!
NC is the place to be in Oct.

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
Costa Rica will be very rainy, so will Nicaragua ..
Puerto Rico would be good but need a car imo
if it weren't for the rain I would say Costa rica, Nosara, cool town fun waves and some other waves options close by if you wanna bus it or rent a car for a day or so..if you can handle the rain probably find a good deal on long-term lodging.
Barbados stay on east coast the waves would be great, best time of year! but may get a little bored not much else to do but you can bus it around cheaply, and be on it every day, never flat. gotta be self sufficient as far as food etc, very few options..
if Portugal was in the budget that would be a good call that time of year as well but also probably best w a car.
if you guys are cool with little to no nightlife I would goto Barbados out of the places you mentioned you will get better at surfing over some fun yet punchy reefs, if soups is firing and crowded (intimidating)you can always surf high rock and Parlors.. I was there for two weeks in oct and soup bowls was so good!, too good for me with an aggressive local crew on it till dark on most nights but thats when I surfed Parlors and was really fun for my skill level..
hope this helps a little I have been to all these places and consider myself a high intermediate surfer also and traveled to all these with my girlfriend so let me know if you have any questions

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Yo, I think El Salvdor would fit the agenda. Las Floras provides great lodging and transport from San Salvador to hotel. Check out wavehunters.com, I went there in 2008 in March, great waves and was about to go this month (Oct.) but another trip came up so heading to Barbados.
Too late in the season. ES needs swell and isnt a fun place to get skunked at.

Mar 28, 2019
Thanks for all the info guys!! We’re in Nicaragua and have been here since mid October and couldn’t have more good things to say about it. Swell has been kinda small but waves are still definitely providing fun sessions. The people in Nicaragua are among the nicest we’ve ever met while traveling and the rain in October was really light and almost none now just nightly rains sometimes

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Costa Rica will be very rainy, so will Nicaragua ..
Puerto Rico would be good but need a car imo
if it weren't for the rain I would say Costa rica, Nosara, cool town fun waves and some other waves options close by if you wanna bus it or rent a car for a day or so..if you can handle the rain probably find a good deal on long-term lodging.
Barbados stay on east coast the waves would be great, best time of year! but may get a little bored not much else to do but you can bus it around cheaply, and be on it every day, never flat. gotta be self sufficient as far as food etc, very few options..
if Portugal was in the budget that would be a good call that time of year as well but also probably best w a car.
if you guys are cool with little to no nightlife I would goto Barbados out of the places you mentioned you will get better at surfing over some fun yet punchy reefs, if soups is firing and crowded (intimidating)you can always surf high rock and Parlors.. I was there for two weeks in oct and soup bowls was so good!, too good for me with an aggressive local crew on it till dark on most nights but thats when I surfed Parlors and was really fun for my skill level..
hope this helps a little I have been to all these places and consider myself a high intermediate surfer also and traveled to all these with my girlfriend so let me know if you have any questions
Pacific side "nosara" end of rain season in October so could surf pacific first month and head to Carribean in November where the surf is bezt from November to February with trips back to Pacific Guancaste if the rain gets you down or floods. Offshore North Pacific and can score NWN swells at witch's rick.