Traction placement ruling needed

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Was the poor innocent pad in question ever even surfed?
I reckon it was. The board looks like it's had a couple sessions on it.

I got the pad off. It wasnt actually that tough once i figured out the proper heatgun technique.

Looking at this replacment pad and Im not sure if its the one. It would definitely work with some leash plug modification but visually it does not bring me joy.

I think might save this pad for my Bomdia which is en route and figure something else out for the swordfish.
20230204_171541.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah that might be even worse. @cbadsurfer

general question for everyone. How often does the blade of your foot get placed right up against the tail kick of the pad?
Ideally every time I go for a turn. But in reality sometimes I fail at that.

Its one of the most important things to practice for shortboarding, i think. You dont need a traction pad to turn well but i think for most people its helpful just to have the reference point that you can feel. It lets you know that your foot is back where it needs to be so you can push through a turn without catching your forward rail.

The further back your rear foot is the narrower and thinner the board is so the more of a leverage advantage you have over it. Meaning the less effort it takes to sink the tail/lift the nose or tip the rail to one side or another.

Not to mention the leverage you also gain over the fin cluster the further back your foot is...

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@Aruka what you said sort of correlates with what the shaper of my local custom was telling me, the shaper was a former world tour surfer, still rips and knows what he is talking about. While he didn't specifically talk about the foot on the tailkick he was telling me he was encouraging his son to ride a longer HPSB and have the foot right on the tail for leveraging it.

My reality is that I measure quite carefully where my tailkick goes - pads vary so the I look at it sideways and line up a ruler with the front of the kick and the back third of the fin. Even then my foot is rarely against the kick. I'm also on a board 1" shorter than my height - although I have a small body and long neck. I think I improved a bit from my lessons - wasn't specifically told to move foot back but it went a little back after the instructor tried to fix my toilet stance and have my back knee pointing more forwards.

I have some idea of how you surf from the pics you posted. I'm interested in hearing from all levels of abilities about this subject.

Reactions: SD_Dan and Aruka
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Bummer cause that’s a great pad.
I knew the pad placement was bad when I went to buy it, but I was bummed to see how nice of a pad it was. I did give it a chance yesterday. My foot wanted to go further back, it almost made the board feel stiff. I rode out of a few backside turns with my foot on top of the kick.

Reactions: Aruka

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I knew the pad placement was bad when I went to buy it, but I was bummed to see how nice of a pad it was. I did give it a chance yesterday. My foot wanted to go further back, it almost made the board feel stiff. I rode out of a few backside turns with my foot on top of the kick.
An option, Razor blade at kick line and remove, replace with https://www.creatures-usa.com/collections/traction/products/tail-block , trimming or spacing best fit

When ordering similar swallow as custom I add PLUG FOR GOOFY AS LOW AS POSSIBLE