Traction Pad Affecting Magic of New Boar?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've had the best luck with thinner pads. Octopus in particular.
when you guys say "thinner" are you talking no arch (flat) or the actual thickness of the foam (like the corduroy ones) or both?
I like the feel of the one corduroy pad I have, but I feel like I miss the arch- more to push off of / leverage.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
when you guys say "thinner" are you talking no arch (flat) or the actual thickness of the foam (like the corduroy ones) or both?
I like the feel of the one corduroy pad I have, but I feel like I miss the arch- more to push off of / leverage.
actual thickness of the foam. I had a CoL jack freestone pad on my pyzel phantom that was super thick, replaced it with the Octopus and it made a very noticeable difference

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I prefer pads that are thinner (foam thickness) and flat, but the wider arch of the Astrodeck new Nathan is tolerable. Maybe my wide flat feet are a factor

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
wanna pull the trigger on the need essentials flat pad but racer's venereal boar seems to be a dog with that pad on it while his hammer traction boars are magic.

all my boars with the old school x-trac fish pad have been magic.

what's ur magic boar + pad combo?

ya, it does sound like bs, but there is some truth to it. just put a chitty pad on a good boar and watch....
Have you tried putting the pad on the bottom of the board?

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
Bought a board used and the astrodeck is like half an inch too high
Barely noticeable but it is driving me crazy
madness intensifies
I feel your pain. I just put a flat, two piece pad (two halves) on a fresh board and the left side is like 1/16th of an inch too high and my OCD is driving me nuts about it. :crazy2:

20210325_095913.jpg

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I feel your pain. I just put a flat, two piece pad (two halves) on a fresh board and the left side is like 1/16th of an inch too high and my OCD is driving me nuts about it. :crazy2:
One random OTR boar I bought years back the shop grom asked if I wanted him to apply the traction for me.

I told him sure, if it’s crooked, I’ll blame you and not hate myself.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

View attachment 107231
I have gotten better on last 3 boards saving plastic wrap around pad and cutting card board out. Then you line up pad together.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Anyone try the Mikey February octopus pad?
Almost grabbed that one at first, but wasn't sure i wanted to go full corduroy so went with the Octo Hobgoblin instead. Having it, I do appreciate the stubbies on the back half.

Reactions: jkb and Brsnstein

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Almost grabbed that one at first, but wasn't sure i wanted to go full corduroy so went with the Octo Hobgoblin instead. Having it, I do appreciate the stubbies on the back half.
Kinda tempted by the ones that have an arch but then flat on the sides. Would have to see them in person. Dion Agiis, chippa, or Dylan graves. Anyone tried one of those??