Tracks mag 2015 board test.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That kid Connor is kinda fcking shredding that Evo.
He should have probably tried the 5'3 though.
The video of Garrett on the Mayhem look sped up. Flying!

Some of those boards looked like turds! Not saying which ones.

Those guys scored amazing waves for a board test.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
After your comment I had to watch GP on the mayhem . bonafied ripping and some rasta inspired soul surfing . wish there was more footage of GP around he is fun to watch

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
all those waves were sooo good it looks like u could ride an unshaped blank (glssed with fins) and still rip

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
The Mayhem review doesn't make sense. In the video he says its a 5'8, 18 1/8, 2 1/8 and it looks like a HPSB. The ones I've seen are way stubbier and probably wouldn't go so well in head high indo. I could be wrong but seems like they either highly altered or threw the model logo on one of HPSB shapes.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
The Mayhem review doesn't make sense. In the video he says its a 5'8, 18 1/8, 2 1/8 and it looks like a HPSB. The ones I've seen are way stubbier and probably wouldn't go so well in head high indo. I could be wrong but seems like they either highly altered or threw the model logo on one of HPSB shapes.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I agree Greg, that Super looked great.

V2 looked fun. His surfing was great but kind of twitchy? A little too much out of the water?

The EVO was disappointing to me. Looked like it surfed flat and not on rail.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That evo looked like absolute crap. Actually, I didn't watch all the boards but most of them look like crap. Mayhem looks the best imo.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
kool-aid said:
That evo looked like absolute crap. Actually, I didn't watch all the boards but most of them look like crap. Mayhem looks the best imo.
I dont know, that first wave on the evo looked legit to me.
Maybe it's the kids style, try and watch his other videos on the test.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
kool-aid said:
The boards that had different planshapes from the standard hpsbs drew different lines.
Not everyone wants to surf hpsb style so its good to see the boards tests these days throwing in a few odd ball shapes to show how they go.
Maybe its because I learnt to surf in the late 70's that I really appreciate seeing the varied lines that are surfed on non hpsbs.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Retropete said:
kool-aid said:
The boards that had different planshapes from the standard hpsbs drew different lines.
Not everyone wants to surf hpsb style so its good to see the boards tests these days throwing in a few odd ball shapes to show how they go.
Maybe its because I learnt to surf in the late 70's that I really appreciate seeing the varied lines that are surfed on non hpsbs.
If you read his pre-test review, he seems to think it's a groveler and rode it in the most mushburger left of the trip and the smallest right. His post-test review said it wasn't what he expected. Wish he would have rode it in the big left that the Mayhem got ridden in.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I was commenting more on the other boards (Outer islands, Mote, Cornice) when talking about the different planshaped boards.
The Evo looked the goods for in the pocket carves.

Spinafex

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2012
Some cool shapes here too.

https://www.tracksmag.com/category/fun-board-guide-2015/

They don't have all the videos embedded, but if you view at Vimeo you can see them there.

I like the DMS Gherkin:

https://www.tracksmag.com/funboard-dms-gherkin/

jp30surf

Billy Hamilton status
Aug 20, 2012
Maine
Yeah I had the wrong idea about what the "Fun Board" review was.

I really ended up enjoying it.

That Gherkin did look fun as hell! Where can I get more info on that thing? They didn't have it on their website.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Good (great!) surfing by AP in that fun board (eh?) test. How the hell does he turn that DMS Gherkin so hard when it's got a, what, 19" tail?

I really wanted to like that Gravelle, but somehow it didn't look that good under his feet. Would love to one day get a step up from Gravelle, though.

IMHO, the best looking boards were the DMS Gherkin, Lost PJ, and the CW twinnie.

It would have been interesting to see those boards in truly awful waves - knee high, gutless slop - but nice to see how hard they could be surfed.