Torn Quad, Still Can Not Bend Leg

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
It's been 5 weeks since I tore my quad and I'm still having a really hard time bending my leg. Right now, I can get it to about a 110-120 degree angle. I'm afraid it's going to heal before I can fully bend it and I'll need surgery. Has anyone else had this experience? How long did it take you to be able to fully bend your leg again?

Back Story:

I tore my quadricep at the gym the day before Halloween and went to urgent care the next day after not being able to sleep due to the pain. Saw a sports medicine doctor a week later and he said to just try and stretch it by bending my knee and he would see me in two weeks to see how much I've improved. It was damn near impossible to stretch it during that time because my leg was so swollen and would not bend. A few days before the second appointment with the doctor I took the ace bandage off and the swelling went down overnight so I was able to start bending my leg. The doctor said he was surprised I am not able to bend my leg more and said to get an MRI and physical therapy. This was a week before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving I slipped down 3 steps, fell and bent my leg too far back. It was the worst pain I've ever felt and my wife said I turned white as a ghost. I was not able to bend it again for about a week. Just got the MRI this past Thursday 12/5 and going to see the physical therapist this Thursday 12/12. Like I said, I'm worried it might be too late to get my leg to fully bend again without surgery. I haven't surfed since the last week of October and my 1 year old daughter starting walking the same week I got injured. She's pretty much running around the house now and I'm a stay at home dad who works from home.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A partial tear can take months to heal. What did the MRI say? Full or partial tear? Strain?

Even a partial tear requires weeks of immobilization. A fully torn quadriceps tendon requires surgery.

If it's just a strain be patient and give it time. If it's torn, even partially find a new doctor because you got terrible medical advice to date.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
Its a partial tear according to the MRI. The good news is a week after going to my first physical therapy appointment I can now bend my leg almost to 45 degrees and it's improving daily.

Reactions: john4surf