Torn calf muscle

Oct 5, 2021
me too. Late to the calf issue party. Last day of my Nica trip jumping over some white wash to paddle out. The picture is 3-4 weeks since the injury (I didn't have the big divot in before). Thought about seeing a Dr., but assumed they would send me for an MRI, talk a bunch and then tell me there's nothing I can do but surgery or slow rehab. So I decided to do nothing. Thoughts from the erBB brain trust?

View attachment 154201
I will stop complaining, this is next level compared to what I did

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Once your MD tells you that you have healed sufficiently, start doing laps kicking in the pool, either on your back or with a kick board on your belly.
As you progress, add swim fins which will really work your calves.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yep more involved exercises to come down the track, need to focus on healing next week or so and build up from there. I can’t do a controlled calf raise at the moment without spasm/pain so just need to take it easy before going too hard (which is what I did first time then reinjured)
Please share when you get to the post acute phase exercsies.

Skully and N4S- those divots look gnarly. Did MD explain what is going on there? Torn muscle fiber doesn't wouldn't seem to me to creaate that, but what do I know? Also, N4S I would go to MD, especially with the divot and if it it painful and doesn't resolve in a few days.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Once your MD tells you that you have healed sufficiently, start doing laps kicking in the pool, either on your back or with a kick board on your belly.
As you progress, add swim fins which will really work your calves.
Seems to me injury prevention needs to add resistance past what wold be normal movements. Otherwise you're working on endurance but not adding strength.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Also, N4S I would go to MD, especially with the divot and if it it painful and doesn't resolve in a few days.
The pain is pretty much gone, but a lingering "feel"/thought that it's on the verge of happening again at any moment. It was really painful. Getting home from Nica by myself was a struggle, I could barely walk and managing my gear was a nightmare.

• Sad
Reactions: Woke AF and Aruka

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The pain is pretty much gone, but a lingering "feel"/thought that it's on the verge of happening again at any moment. It was really painful. Getting home from Nica by myself was a struggle, I could barely walk and managing my gear was a nightmare.
I feel your pain. I had to get home from Utah on mine. Made it down from the backside of the mountain on my heel edge. I couldn’t stand a second on toe edge without falling on my face. Excruciating pain. Then navigating two airports with luggage and snowboard bags was a motherfooker.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: need 4 speed

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Gastrocs tear easily and go into spasm. Blood and fluid accumulation in the torn tissues can make them ball up and can be sore for many weeks. Rest, bandages, elevation to start. Ice is only good relatively immediately after injury. After a day or 2 some hot compresses, soaks, very light massages/mobilization can help. Very gentle stretching after a few to several days is in order with healing time being several weeks in many cases. Easy to tear, easy to reinjure. Too soon back to activity can lengthen the healing time. A good physical therapist can be a big help.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Tore my calf muscle yesterday walking out into line up jumped off left foot to jump over whitewash and rip. I had strained it pretty bad 2 weeks prior but wasn’t sure that it was a full tear, felt like I was nearly recovered and then bang. First strain was pushing left foot on skateboard after having done some road cycling day before, assume calf was pretty tight. Had nearly recovered full range of motion but now I feel like I have torn way more than first one. Any recommendations on recovery time for surfing/time out of water/exercises from someone who has done this before?
Ive spent last 24 hours icing it amd resting, try to get to physio tomorrow. Just wondering if I’m out of the water for 2-3 months now and miss winter swells…
O man I just dealt with this for the last 3 months. Gotta take it slow. Walking is enough to rehab it til it's pain free. When you think it's healed, it isn't. I had to stop squats and deadlifts for a bit because they would make it flare up. I healed it by starting out with short intervals (10s) of small jumps (jump rope, etc.) and then slowly increasing each day. Also, massaging the bottom of the foot with a golf ball or lacrosse ball if the strain is on the lower calf.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Feeling a little better. Surfed a bit this weekend without issue. I've been back on my peloton for a couple weeks too and starting to push a little harder(standing up for "sprints") Starting to look a little more normal

Reactions: Aruka and One-Off
Oct 5, 2021
3 weeks now since the injury, physio says I’m past the acute phase so making some good forwards progress. First week was rest, ice, compression and minimal walking. Second week stretches, foam roller, introduce heat and double calf raises and walking. I’ve had big improvement with increased mobility last couple of days and can walk now fairly unaffected. Next two weeks one leg calf rests and raises on a step (on toes) along with more heat, rolling etc. aiming for being able to hop on affected leg in a fortnight, if I can do that can get back on a board (carefully). Sucks getting old!

Oct 5, 2021
First surf today since the injury, 6 and a bit weeks of rehab. Probably could have been in the water a week earlier but its been flat last week or two. Calf felt pretty good but it was incredible how much of a kook I felt only being out of the water for 6 weeks. Great to be back though.