Torn Adductor Longus

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
Tore my adductor longus doing a backside cutback on a medium sized wave 2 weeks ago. It's a full thickness tear of the proximal attachment with 2.1 cm of tendon retraction. I felt a "pop" and then instant pain.

Seems like kind of a freak injury and none of the doctors i've consulted with so far have much familiarity with it. I'm getting conflicting opinions from doctors on the recovery time (anywhere from 6 weeks to 5 months) and whether PT or other modalities will shorten the recovery time.

Surfing is the only thing that keeps me sane. On top of that, it looks like i will miss the entire ski season. I am beyond miserable.

I need to get better quickly and am willing to do whatever it takes to speed my recovery.

FYI, I am 51 years old and in very good physical condition.

And if anyone knows a great physical therapist in the West LA, Santa Monica and/or West Valley/Malibu areas, please let me know.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A full thickness tear is going to take some time. There's not a lot of people who have experienced a full thickness tear here so hard to gauge recovery. I would say at the 6 week mark you're going to have a better idea of where you are but it's unlikely the tendon will be healed. Don't monkey around with this one. Surgery isn't very common/successful with this type of injury so you want to avoid it.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Had to look up it up to know where it is exactly....and if there is one thing I can say about injuries in this part of the body it is that they take a while to heal. Re-injuring it while it heals is to be avoided if you want to heal quick. Hope you get better advice than that from the hive mind here, but until then, well, follow the Dr's orders.