Tomo Quad Fins

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
The Tomo Quad set is a very unique addition to the Futures line for 2020. The template was designed by Daniel “Tomo” Thomson, for the El Tomo Fish model by Firewire. The fins generate speed easily due to their large surface area, while the narrower base allows the fins to pivot with a tight turning radius. Riders can expect the fins to feel loose and springy without sacrificing drive thanks to the more forward placement. When paired with the El Tomo Fish by Firewire, the synergy is undeniable! Available in solid fiberglass construction in early 2020.

Attachments

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I knew I have seen those fins somewhere before. Looks like it was November 5, 2009. Not surprised it was the same guy George Greenough went to, Chuck Ames. Linky Linky

Looks like Futures was on to something a while ago as well.

1579229257419.png1579229454825.png

Reactions: need 4 speed

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I’d try them. There’s a lot going on with those fins. Not sure how they’d feel

Reactions: Havoc

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Different concept. The blade isn't big enough in those fins to get the full benefit of that design.

The blade on the powerdrive fins is supposed to flex when you lean into a turn. Its called "laminar flow". The fin flexing maintains the laminar flow and then release through the turn... maintaining the flow again. Once you get the fins dialed in they feel incredible in any board and hold a turn extremely well.

The blade on the Tomo Quad isnt a full blade so im really curious to see how they feel... especially with the concave on them.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Surprised Futures doesn't mention it if there is in fact "outside concave"...
My experience with the Krypt "power drive" fins apparently hasn't been as positive as Deforest's (but then I'm not an honorary Thomson, lol). I found them to get stuck on bottom turns in any real steep/bowl-y waves and not release smoothly sometimes. Maybe that little rear cutout in the new Futures version makes a difference. Dunno.
Regardless, in weaker/flatter/mushier waves, I think they go great, providing a slight spring out of turns (dare I say: slingshot (™ ...Lost), as a quad in wide tailed boards. The ideal waves FW are are describing the new El Tomo Fish is for sounds like it might be a good fit.
I actually tried them in a Rusty Quatro quad fish this week and I was surprised how well they worked- again, in sideshore mushy 3-4' waves. I haven't really seen footage of anyone but DT surfing them before, and he can probably rip on a McDonalds tray with trapezoidal nubsters on it. LOL
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfish and xmesa