Tomo MPH

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Took my 6'0 Hydronaut out today in some pretty solid and heavy waves at a local bouldery beach break. It was about DOH with one TOH wave that came in and cleaned us all up. Gotta say I've had the XTR Hydronaut for 4 years now and it has never let me down. Holds so well, handles any drop and can turn. Epic board. Got it with in that SLCK yellow option. The XTR construction is indestructible.
It really is a great board. Mine had good range as well. I could ride it in much smaller waves than advertised and it still worked really well.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
It really is a great board. Mine had good range as well. I could ride it in much smaller waves than advertised and it still worked really well.
Yeah, I've had it out in chest-high hollow stuff to as big as I want to surf. The suckier it gets, the better the board goes. Almost like it has an autopilot on making steep drops.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Took my shot at interviewing Tomo on a picnic table at the Boardroom Show Event.

I thought it was pretty interesting that he wants to do a thruster version with the Vee running down the middle of the board to a concave bottom out the tail... usually its the opposite with shapers and they put concave down the middle with vee out the tail.

The guy is a legend and is always thinking outside the box. :shaka:

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Nice job, D!

Looking forward to Dan’s next innovations and stocked to hear that he will soon be offering PU customs from Australia.

Just need that Australian exchange rate to keep plummeting!

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Nice job, D!

Looking forward to Dan’s next innovations and stocked to hear that he will soon be offering PU customs from Australia.

Just need that Australian exchange rate to keep plummeting!
Ha. I agree! Just give me a couple months to save up and we can place an order together. The El Tomo with a vee bottom is on my Christmas list.

Yeah, thanks. I was a bit nervous, but he was very cool about it. He's a great guy!

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Tomo wasnt doing any shaping while visiting? Is it the v in the revo you are super stoked on? A pu revo could be pretty cool

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Funny you ask @toowalled ... Tomo was tossing around the idea of possibly doing a small visit here in the US during part of the year, shaping a few boards for customers like he did in the old days, then head back to AUS and have a local glasser finish everything up. Then the customer can pick up their board.

Obviously, I was excited to hear this news. But Tomo said he doesn't have a glasser lined up at all, and he might not even go through with it. :(

I tried to sway him by saying it would be a great way to promote him brand but don't know if it made a difference.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Funny you ask @toowalled ... Tomo was tossing around the idea of possibly doing a small visit here in the US during part of the year, shaping a few boards for customers like he did in the old days, then head back to AUS and have a local glasser finish everything up. Then the customer can pick up their board.

Obviously, I was excited to hear this news. But Tomo said he doesn't have a glasser lined up at all, and he might not even go through with it. :(

I tried to sway him by saying it would be a great way to promote him brand but don't know if it made a difference.
PUs glassed at Waterman’s Guild. Epoxies at Pure Glass. Problem solved.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Haha.

I think he wants someone to take the orders too. He just wants to come here, shape, and then head back to AUS. The cost to stay here (hotel, auto, food, etc.) will out-weight his profit on the boards if he's here too long. Based on what he was saying, his profit margin would be small on each board. But man... what a treat for him to shape here in the US again.

Maybe I can find a way to work myself into the equation and take orders for him? :unsure:

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Took my shot at interviewing Tomo on a picnic table at the Boardroom Show Event.

I thought it was pretty interesting that he wants to do a thruster version with the Vee running down the middle of the board to a concave bottom out the tail... usually its the opposite with shapers and they put concave down the middle with vee out the tail.

The guy is a legend and is always thinking outside the box. :shaka:

Your froth level for Tomo boards is....on another level, to say the least. Dan seems like a nice, approachable
guy from my limited experience at shows. Please edit the pop-up text...the teacher in me was twitching throughout. lol
I want to try a Revo more than any other model I've seen in shops lately.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Assume you offered to take the US orders for him and that you’d be honored to have him as a guest at your house. C’mon, bro!

Haha.

I think he wants someone to take the orders too. He just wants to come here, shape, and then head back to AUS. The cost to stay here (hotel, auto, food, etc.) will out-weight his profit on the boards if he's here too long. Based on what he was saying, his profit margin would be small on each board. But man... what a treat for him to shape here in the US again.

Maybe I can find a way to work myself into the equation and take orders for him? :unsure:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Should have asked him why he stopped doing xtr’s even though it was the only way for Americans to get customs
I actually did... he said he wasnt comfortable with XTR signing his name on boards (he felt like the ghost shapers should have signed their own name) and he wanted more oversight over his shapes. He expressed a lot of gratitude towards XTR and their partnership over the years, but felt like the best thing for his brand and his shapes moving forward was to have him handle the shapes personally. He said he continues to believe in the tech (foam, materials, etc.) but he's constantly looking to innovate and improve and he feels the new epoxy work he's doing will be top notch.

@Oceanslide I know... the captions were auto generated and it was killing me to see them too!! ha. I think you'd like the Revo. Its such a fun board.

• Wow
Reactions: sdsrfr